Historical-Cultural Context

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 2 2022 8:56 PM

What primary resources should one to Understand the Historical-Cultural Context?

Posts 35582
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 9:10 PM

It depends upon the book but think related Semetic literature, Egyptian literature, Near-Eastern literature, Dead Sea Scrolls, Pseudepigrapha and apocrypha, Nag Hammadi literature . . .

For example, for the Song of Songs, Egyptian marriage hymns are essential background  The Song of Songs and the Ancient Egyptian Love Songs by Michael V. Fox for why.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2372
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 4:22 AM

These two volumes would serve as a brief survey and jumping off point:

Sparks, Kenton L. Ancient Texts for the Study of the Hebrew Bible: A Guide to the Background Literature. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers, 2005.

Evans, Craig A. Ancient Texts for New Testament Studies: A Guide to the Background Literature. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2011.

Each volume classifies the literature by genre, culture, etc..., with introductions and summaries throughout.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1361
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2022 8:27 AM

Christian Alexander:

What primary resources should one to Understand the Historical-Cultural Context?

You might look at the Lexham Cultural Ontology (you can open it directly here), which is integrated into Factbook. For example, the Cultural Concepts section of the Factbook page on Pagan Worship links to selected Bible dictionaries that discuss the concept, as well as selected Bible passages and other discussions and examples from the secondary literature. 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS