Dates of Old Testament Prophets

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 927
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 3 2022 1:54 PM

I am looking for a listing of the old testament prophets with the dates in which they ministered and the areas where they ministered. I am sure that I will have multiple copies of this info in my library. What search criteria should I use to find it in Logos?

Posts 1749
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 3:34 PM

This list is from Paul R. House and Eric Mitchell, Old Testament Survey, 2nd ed. (Nashville, TN: B&H Publishing Group, 2007), 174:

• Joel  c. 800 BC (?)
  • Amos  760–750 BC
  • Hosea  750–725 BC
  • Jonah  750 BC
  • Isaiah  740–687 BC
  • Micah  701 BC
  • Zephaniah  630–620 BC
  • Jeremiah  627–587 BC
  • Nahum  612 BC
  • Habakkuk  610–600 BC
  • Ezekiel  593–571 BC
  • Obadiah  587 BC
  • Haggai  520 BC
  • Zechariah  520 BC
  • Malachi  430 BC

Some of those are guesses (e.g. Joel), and some are inadequate (e.g. later chapters of Isaiah are from a later time).

A better approach would be a resource like Gordon D. Fee, and Douglas K. Stuart. How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour. (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2002). Not a single list, but a quick look-up for each prophet. Sample from p.217:

ORIENTING DATA FOR JOEL

• Content: a devastating locust plague sets the stage for a twofold summons to repentance, to which God responds with a promise of mercy and an outpouring of his Spirit, with a day of judgment on the nations
  • Prophet: Joel, who is otherwise unknown; his concern for Judah and Jerusalem (2:23, 32; 3:1) suggests that he was from the southern kingdom
  • Date of prophetic activity: uncertain; perhaps ca. 590 B.C., but possibly after 500 B.C.
  • Emphases: the impending day of Yahweh—a day of judgment and salvation; Yahweh chastens those he loves, and his chastening calls his people to repentance; Israel’s God keeps covenant by showing mercy to his people; Yahweh is sovereign over all the nations and will judge those who have shown no mercy to his people

Posts 716
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 3:36 PM

One way is to search for/open the "Old Testament Prophets Timeline" - here's a screenshot of what I get:

Posts 1517
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 3:38 PM

The Faithlife Study Bible has a chart:

https://ref.ly/logosres/fsbinfographics?art=approximatedatesotprophets

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 3:40 PM

Wikipedia: Prophets in Judaism:

Or if you prefer the shorter list from the Lives of the Prophets (Pseudepigrapha):

Wikipedia:Lives of the Prophets:

The Lives of the Prophets includes the lives of the 23 prophets. Some lives are extremely short, only the most basic information is given, while for the others there are details and stories. The main facts indicated in the Lives are the following:

Since the work is found in Christian manuscripts, some New Testament prophets are typically appended, specifically ZachariahSymeon, and John the Baptist. Symeon is reported as dying of old age, while Zachariah is said to have been killed by Herod "between the temple and the altar," per Jesus' words in Matthew 23:35 and Luke 11:51.

For more fun consider this list of prophets for Christianity:

Prophets of Christianity:

Biblical people with claimed prophetic experiences

Unnamed prophets and men of God

False prophets and prophets of Baal

Claimed post-biblical prophets

The following persons are considered by some Christians to be prophets.

Just saying you need to define what you mean by "prophets" ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 927
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 7:45 PM

MJ. Smith:
Just saying you need to define what you mean by "prophets" ...

Thanks MJ. By "old testament prophets" I am referring to individuals in the old testament that are referred to as performing a prophetic function whether or not there are books written by them. 

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 7:48 PM

That is what I suspected but some early answers were a bit more narrow ... so rather than suggesting the answers were incomplete, I had a bit of fun.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2961
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2022 5:10 AM

MJ. Smith:
   I had a bit of fun.  
  Thanks for having "a bit of fun"

Posts 5047
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2022 8:44 AM

I believe I got this from a DTS lecture but I don't remember exactly. A lecture taught me an easy way to remember the 8th Century Prophets as MICAH but backwards. It also helps to show where they did their work. The top 2 were for Israel and the bottom 2 for Judah. Middle for Sea (Assyria). Nothings perfect! :)

H - Hosea

A - Amos

C - C/Sea = Jonah

I - Isaiah

M - Micah

Posts 5047
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2022 8:47 AM

Oh and he had another. OJ for Obadiah and Joel.

If I remember correctly, since who knows what happened with the OJ trial, the same for the dates for those two.

Posts 927
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2022 9:08 AM

Thanks everyone. Some great info here. I have copied the link for this forum into my notes for reference.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS