Surviving and Thriving in Seminary

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 5 2022 6:22 PM

I am debating on reading  Zacharias, H. Daniel, and Benjamin K. Forrest. Surviving and Thriving in Seminary: An Academic and Spiritual Handbook. (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2017). What is so good about this book?

Posts 710
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 5 2022 7:05 PM

Christian Alexander:

I am debating on reading  Zacharias, H. Daniel, and Benjamin K. Forrest. Surviving and Thriving in Seminary: An Academic and Spiritual Handbook. (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2017). What is so good about this book?

I've read a lot of these types of books. They kind of all run together in my mind. Maybe they are more helpful to students on campus than to online students. Zacharias has some stuff on Udemy that goes on sale for very cheap at times. I have purchased some of the Logos books that he has written and suggested in the Udemy videos.

I find it interesting how often books like this talk about students losing their faith. Nowhere else have I found such frank acknowledgement of something that I have struggled with and that I was taught to think of as rare and something only the most sinful people experienced. I don't remember Zacharias addressing this as much as other authors. I watch him more to learn Greek and Logos software.

I liked this article

The Importance of Being Earnest: Approaching Theological Study
by Carl Trueman

https://biblicalstudies.org.uk/article_earnest_trueman.html

Posts 2839
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 6 2022 12:27 AM

If you want to pursue ministry, you need all your spiritual armor and a thick skin. If you have that, books help a lot.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS