John Stott Sermon Archive Question

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8940
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 7 2022 8:33 AM

Does the John Stott Sermon Archive have outlines included for sermons or are they just manuscripts like most sermon archives in Logos? The only archive set that has outlines is the Adrian Rogers sermon archive. Extremely useful! I hope John Stott has them too.

Thanks!

DAL

Posts 1486
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 7 2022 8:43 AM

DAL:

Does the John Stott Sermon Archive have outlines included for sermons or are they just manuscripts like most sermon archives in Logos? The only archive set that has outlines is the Adrian Rogers sermon archive. Extremely useful! I hope John Stott has them too.

Thanks!

DAL

Agreed!! I think there are a few others that have outlines (ie Greear), but vast majority don't. I don't understand why the developers of this product don't require some outline markup or section headings or something from the authors before submission. Without such, the sermon archives are not very appealing to me at all! And I think Logos is missing a lot of sales opportunities because of this! This is sad because this would otherwise be a very valuable product offering!

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 2839
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 7 2022 11:50 AM

The are tons of sermons in book form that have no such outlines either. FL would likely have to hire some folks  to do the heavy lifting on creating outlines. Not all sermon writers are inclined to build outlines.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 7 2022 12:29 PM

Myke Harbuck:
I don't understand why the developers of this product don't require some outline markup or section headings or something from the authors before submission.

John Stott has been dead since 2011. He didn't submit his sermons for publication in Logos. Audio recordings of his sermons are available from his church (All Souls, Langham Place), and Logos seems to have purchased the right to disseminate them and has created the transcriptions of them. (On the product description page for this collection, it says "Features transcripts of every sermon, exclusive to Logos").

Posts 8940
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 7 2022 1:02 PM

Well, I guess I’m glad I didn’t preorder. Maybe it’ll get included in a BP in L10 or an L10 expansion.

DAL

Posts 6004
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 7 2022 5:30 PM

Sermon archives without outlines.  I respect the want and understand the value but seems like a first world problem to me.  Many would be satisfied to have access to these archives without outlines. When I was younger my family used to collect the left over bread etc from a bakery on a Saturday afternoon and distribute to people at our own cost in time and petrol (gas) who were not as well off as others. And you would be surprised at the number of people that didn't want the bread if it wasn't sliced but at the same time would ask if there were any cream buns. 

No personal disrespect meant to anyone's wants here because I get that outlines are helpful just as sliced bread has advantages, but this thread could not help but take me back to those days.  We don't want bread if its not sliced.  We don't want sermon archives if they are not sliced i.e. outlined.  

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS