Why so few popular highlights?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 927
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 8 2022 3:27 PM

Why are there so few popular highlights? I am currently working in a fairly popular commentary series (BST) and I am seeing "5 people highlighted this." My thought is that more than 5 people must have been highlighting in the resource. These numbers are pretty typical of what I see in other resources. Perhaps someone might be able to explain how popular highlights work.

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 8 2022 3:34 PM

You can turn on/off popular highlights. I'm not sure, but maybe for people who have it turned off, it doesn't share their highlights with the rest of the Logos user community. Maybe that's a way to keep your highlighting choices private. I dunno.

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 8 2022 3:46 PM

Then there are people like myself who very rarely highlight - I use clippings for bits and pieces I want to preserve. I didn't highlight my books in college either - occassionally I would enter something in the margins.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 30485
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 8 2022 5:21 PM

Michael Kinch:
Perhaps someone might be able to explain how popular highlights work.

the issue is not only about how many people highlight in the resource, but how many people highlight the same thing. furthermore, resources don’t have the same thresholds for “how many highlights does it take,” but we don’t have access to the algorithm. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 30485
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 8 2022 5:24 PM

Rosie Perera:

You can turn on/off popular highlights. I'm not sure, but maybe for people who have it turned off, it doesn't share their highlights with the rest of the Logos user community. Maybe that's a way to keep your highlighting choices private. I dunno.

That is not my understanding. To keep the highlights completely out of “popular highlights,” you’d have to turn internet off. Note: any particular persons highlights are private, but the system knows collectively whats been highlighted. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 927
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 8 2022 8:07 PM

Thanks everyone.

Posts 927
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 9 2022 3:20 PM

MJ. Smith:

Then there are people like myself who very rarely highlight - I use clippings for bits and pieces I want to preserve. I didn't highlight my books in college either - occasionally I would enter something in the margins.

Thanks MJ. I would like to hear more from you on how you use clippings. I have always looked at it as something for a short term project, a place to gather info and then discard when you are done. What can you share with me?

Posts 27858
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 9 2022 4:12 PM

Michael Kinch:
I would like to hear more from you on how you use clippings. I have always looked at it as something for a short term project, a place to gather info and then discard when you are done. What can you share with me?

I thought I would add my perspective, also not being one that uses highlights/notes.

I use the feature for Bible Study as you can intersperse resource clippings with your own Notes/Comments on the topic. Then you can Share or Print them for your group (or Export to edit before printing). Exporting also means you can preserve them outside Logos.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1153
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 9 2022 4:51 PM

I tended to see a lot of popular highlights in the books I studied in seminary.  At first that surprised me, but then it started making sense.  If something is an assigned reading for several schools, then you're going to have a large number of students studying it and marking it up - and likely highlighting the points that their professors have emphasized.  My guess is that you just don't have the same dynamic for most other books.

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 9 2022 4:56 PM

Michael Kinch:
I have always looked at it as something for a short term project, a place to gather info and then discard when you are done. What can you share with me?

I have a different perspective thanks to a wonderful professor of Central Asian Turkic languages. She would gently rebuke graduate students who were not gathering 3x5 cards containing important quotations, questions, random thoughts that might someday become papers ... she could show us her 30 or so years of studies in boxes of cards. So I thought of clippings of being a combination of (a) permanent clippings and (b) temporary clippings for a particular project. However, when an author whose book received a less than stellar review based on my research in the same area, I kept the author up all night with back and forth phone calls as I pointed him to resources that he had access to that backed up my statements. Since then, I consider all clippings permanent -- one never knows when one might get a late night call demanding evidence or a retraction even on what one considers a "throw-away" project.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 927
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 9 2022 5:03 PM

Thank you for your replies. It looks like I should revisit clippings. I will take a look on the website and see what tutorials I can find.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS