Cross-references

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 33 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 675
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 15 2022 3:11 PM

Michael,

Thank you for this listing. It is another step closer to what I would like to see/do for the class that I will be teaching. Right now, I'm thinking that this information will suffice for this year's class, however, I may also, some time in the future, go through Daniel verse by verse and follow the cross-reference links from Daniel to Rev. (and all of the others) making sure to notice whether or not that the cross-reference is also backward connected to Daniel...it will be a lengthy process, I'm sure.

Thank you again for giving me some insight from another resource.

Posts 1022
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 15 2022 6:35 PM

Michael Kinch:

Considering the results of the guide alone there are 1078 cross references to the Old Testament, 359 cross references to the New Testament and 87 cross references to the Apocrypha. 

Appreciate what you've done and this is something that causes me confusion.... Yes... I can do a Cross Reference on the whole book of Daniel.... but what verse or verses in Daniel is the resulting verses linked to? This open endedness is abigious.

Only way left is to go verse by verse.

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 927
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 15 2022 7:03 PM

xnman:

Appreciate what you've done and this is something that causes me confusion.... Yes... I can do a Cross Reference on the whole book of Daniel.... but what verse or verses in Daniel is the resulting verses linked to? This open endedness is abigious.

Only way left is to go verse by verse.

You got it. What I have done shows that the book of Daniel is connected to the rest of scripture. You are right, to get the full picture we need to go verse by verse. Even with the software bible study is hard work but very rewarding.

Posts 1022
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 16 2022 3:20 AM

I am wondering....  since Cross Reference seemed to already make the connection (which searching the whole book).... say cross referencing the whole book of Daniel...  does it go verse by verse through Daniel? If it does... then it would seem to be a simple ordeal... just to print the verse that is cross referenced ...then the verses it found cross referenced too.

Talk about a great tool that would be!!! Geeked

Say I am studying Daniel chapter 3..... So I fire up Cross Reference....  type in Daniel 3.... and search....   Then I would have a listing in the results... something like this....

Daniel 3:1  -- Gen 11:2, 1Ki 12:28, Jer 16:20, Hos 2:8, Psa 96:5, Isa 41:24, Isa 46:6.... etc and etc.

Daniel 3:2 -- Ezr 8:36, Est 1:1, Dan 2:48, Dan 3:3... etc and etc.

Daniel 3:3 -- Mat 7:13, Rom 1:21, Rom 1:28, Rom 3:11

Something like this would definitely enhance studies as it would save time in the process and make use of what (it seems) the program tool (Cross Reference) has already done.

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 296
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 16 2022 3:40 AM

xnman:

Say I am studying Daniel chapter 3..... So I fire up Cross Reference....  type in Daniel 3.... and search....   Then I would have a listing in the results... something like this....

Daniel 3:1  -- Gen 11:2, 1Ki 12:28, Jer 16:20, Hos 2:8, Psa 96:5, Isa 41:24, Isa 46:6.... etc and etc.

Something like this would definitely enhance studies as it would save time in the process and make use of what (it seems) the program tool (Cross Reference) has already done.

A super idea, man!

Posts 927
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 16 2022 5:59 AM

scooter:
A super idea, man!

I totally agree.

Posts 675
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 17 2022 10:03 AM

xnman:

I am wondering....  since Cross Reference seemed to already make the connection (which searching the whole book).... say cross referencing the whole book of Daniel...  does it go verse by verse through Daniel? If it does... then it would seem to be a simple ordeal... just to print the verse that is cross referenced ...then the verses it found cross referenced too.

Talk about a great tool that would be!!! Geeked

Thankful, someone else is seeing what I'm trying to get to. If we have to do it verse by verse, then so be it, however, it would be so nice to have this done (even in the background) by selecting the Book or even by the Chapter.

Posts 1361
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2022 7:50 AM

Bill Shewmaker:

Hi MJ. While this does give all the cross-references from a book, it doesn't refer to the Scripture in the "source" book.

Not sure if this what you're looking for, but on the New Testament side, the New Testament Use of the Old Testament interactive lets you filter to selected biblical quotations, allusions, etc. whose source is in Daniel, by selecting Daniel under the "Book (Source)" facet in the sidebar. This shows 110 references from the NT back to Daniel, and you can filter further if desired to the type, who was speaking, etc. 

We don't (yet) have a companion interactive for OT use of the OT, but the recent Old Testament Use of Old Testament: A Book-by-Book Guide provides a lot of helpful information: 

"Cross reference" can mean a lot of different things, and can also be subjective. That was part of the rationale for developing the Important Passages Guide section (you can open this independently of the rest of Passage Guide), and I'd recommend you look further into this. This Guide section lets you select different types of cross-references under the Types selector. Just for Daniel 3, this lists 563 passages altogether. Any "Shared" type is essentially bidirectional: for example, "Shared Cultural Concepts" shows other passages with the same cultural concepts as Daniel 3 (Miracle, Pagan Worship, Capital Punishment, etc.) that are also closely related to the passage in Daniel (or you can view all such passages from their Factbook pages). You can also select related passages where the target, rather than source, is in Daniel 3, with the "From" selector. More Logos Help information on the Important Passages Guide section is here

Posts 675
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2022 3:36 PM

Thank you, Sean. That is getting closer to what I would like to see. However, the number of links don't seem to add up. Using the cross-reference tool, it shows ~ 3400 cross-references from Daniel to the rest of the Bible...not sure why there would be that much of a disparity. I will see what I can utilize for the class that I will be teaching. 

Posts 35595
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2022 3:47 PM

Bill Shewmaker:
However, the number of links don't seem to add up.

What are you comparing to what? Each approach picks up different but similar data.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 927
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2022 4:02 PM

Bill Shewmaker:

Thank you, Sean. That is getting closer to what I would like to see. However, the number of links don't seem to add up. Using the cross-reference tool, it shows ~ 3400 cross-references from Daniel to the rest of the Bible...not sure why there would be that much of a disparity. I will see what I can utilize for the class that I will be teaching. 

When it says 3400 passages, it really means verses. So Matthew 1:1-10 would count as 10 passages in the guide.

Posts 35595
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2022 4:24 PM

Got it - when one saves as a Passage list one actually gets passage count. BTW I get 3845 as the initial count 400 more than you

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 204
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 1:58 PM

MJ. Smith:

Got it - when one saves as a Passage list one actually gets passage count. BTW I get 3845 as the initial count 400 more than you

Are the cross references for Verbum different than Logos, so you are getting 400 deuterocanonical references?

Posts 35595
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 2:49 PM

I doubt it. The cross-references dependent upon your library. In the top section (cross-reference resources) I have 4 resources (somehow I thought it was five). The bottom section is based on the Bibles in your library that have cross-references. Mine include at least 75 Bibles.

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS