How to have Logos pronounce a word....

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1179
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 18 2022 10:59 AM

Greg:

Interesting.  What resources describe this?

Caragounis had a good discussion, if you have the book:

The Development of Greek and the New Testament: Morphology, Syntax, Phonology, and Textual Transmission 

Posts 1589
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 18 2022 11:25 AM

Thank you Andrew!

I compared the pronunciations provided by "Strong's Talking Greek and Hebrew Dictionary" with the three pronunciation flavors (Erasmian, Koine, Modern) used natively in Logos, and the Strong's pronunciations are usually very different than any/all of the Logos flavors.

Can you tell me which one of the four pronunciation flavors (when including Strong's), is most likely to be used at the present time by Bible Colleges/Universities when teaching Biblical Greek?  Basically, I would just like to learn the pronunciations college/university students would be learning.  Or... is that all over the board too--no consensus amongst scholars and educators.

Posts 3033
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 18 2022 12:44 PM

Rick Ausdahl:
Can you tell me which one of the four pronunciation flavors (when including Strong's), is most likely to be used at the present time by Bible Colleges/Universities when teaching Biblical Greek?

My understanding is that it varies from school to school, and possible between professors in a school.

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 2682
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 18 2022 1:28 PM

Rick Ausdahl:
is that all over the board too--no consensus amongst scholars and educators.

This has been my experience in American Evangelical institutions. (Generally Erasmian, but varies by professor)

This 2015 thread - https://community.logos.com/forums/p/119401/784209.aspx#784209 refers to a 2011 blog posting. I guess this question recurs every 5ish years.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 49
Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 18 2022 2:15 PM

Greg:

There are multiple dialects in many languages.  And there is often a dialect that is considered the standard.

I just realized I was only talking about dialects here and should have been talking mainly about accents (pronunciation), but also dialects.

Sorry.

An accent is simply how one pronounces words—a style of pronunciation.

A dialect includes both pronunciations and vocabulary and grammar.

Posts 49
Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 18 2022 2:21 PM

Here is an interesting youtube from "Master New Testament Greek", with this episode sponsored by Logos

Koine Greek pronunciation: What is the right pronunciation?

Posts 1589
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 18 2022 7:19 PM

Andrew Batishko:

Rick Ausdahl:
Can you tell me which one of the four pronunciation flavors (when including Strong's), is most likely to be used at the present time by Bible Colleges/Universities when teaching Biblical Greek?

My understanding is that it varies from school to school, and possible between professors in a school.

Thanks again, Andrew.

Some additional light research I did confirms what you said.  At the same time, it seems to indicate that the Erasmian pronunciation has possibly been used more widely (or at least, as widely) as any other, so I've set that to be my default in Logos.  However, I'm more than willing to listen to any thoughts and opinions others may have on the topic.

Posts 49
Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 19 2022 6:52 AM

I listened to the Logos pronunciation for the same word in Erasmus, Koine, and Modern, and for the small sampling of words I tested there is very little difference.

The main thing for me is to have a pretty close idea of how it is pronounced.

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS