Wide and "Crazy" vs Narrow Libraries

Page 2 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 59 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 720
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2022 5:03 PM

Thank you everyone that is contributing. It is very interesting to see both the patterns in responses and the unique responses.

GaoLu:

My strategy is to remain debt free.  Others choose differently and have more stuff, but I have less stress to enjoy the stuff I already have too much of. Debt is possibly a meat issue, but since this is a FL forum and I don't have a Logos resource for that, I'd better leave the debt debate be. 

You made me curious to see what would come up for a search on "debt". It is a preaching theme, and some scripture lists and dictionaries pop up. I am almost sure that I saw at least one monograph in one of my "willy nilly" packages on money. Okay, so, two monographs come up for "money", and one is definitely in the "willy nilly" package. Maybe that is the one I need most to read. Hmm.

Posts 932
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2022 8:51 PM

Kathleen Marie:
If you are feeling playful and creative: Create a title and a short description for your collection of Logos books.

I would say my library is primarily a Dalmatian with a bit of Beagle, a whole bunch of British Bulldogs and a herd of Great Danes and of course a flock of Teacup Yorkies to finish it off.

I have a wide selection of resources from numerous denominational packages. Not too long ago I realized that my library was short on Atlases so I did a bit of research on them and purchased what I thought were the best of them. I have a lot of commentaries, surveys and introductions but could use more monographs particularly relating to books of the Bible that will give me greater background and general interest information. I try to pick up things that will help me in my searches and factbook queries. I cherish the books that I have and spend most of my time in my Logos library. I judge the value of a potential addition to my library often by the number of pages. Sometimes I have to do a google search to find that info but it is worth it to me. I often read a book or commentary from cover to cover and if I find one new thought that challenges my thinking or leads me in a new path of discovery I consider my time well spent. I do not feel guilty about the money I have spent though it is an eye opener when I look at my purchase history. My library is essential for me, it provides me with both information and inspiration. I will probably not travel very widely, and there are a lot of things that I cannot do but with my library resources and mobile ed courses I can sit down with leading scholars and gifted authors from a wide range of perspectives and learn from them. When I am in one of my "crazy moods" I can dig into those crazy purchases and feast to my hearts content. That happens fairly frequently. 

Posts 720
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2022 9:56 PM

Michael Kinch:

I would say my library is primarily a Dalmatian with a bit of Beagle, a whole bunch of British Bulldogs and a herd of Great Danes and of course a flock of Teacup Yorkies to finish it off.

I will probably not travel very widely, and there are a lot of things that I cannot do but with my library resources and mobile ed courses I can sit down with leading scholars and gifted authors from a wide range of perspectives and learn from them.

You are funny!

Books do substitute for travel, don't they.

A friend without family told me that certain books were her family, and that one in particular had reared her.

Posts 2537
Posts 1406
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 7:48 AM

My own focus is Catholic, so that takes priority in my library. But with so much misunderstanding between different denominations, I think it is important to have the essential works of other denominations rather than just what others have told me about them in order to avoid rash judgment. So I’ve tried to go at least one tier into each package.

Aside from that, I’ve found the Orthodox packages to be useful in reinforcing my Patristics, and the Lutheran + Anglican sets for wider information on the Reformation. 

The drawback is, at 9500+ books, it’s sometimes a chore to find a specific reference I’m looking for 

WIN 11 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 1279
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 8:19 AM

David Wanat:

The drawback is, at 9500+ books, it’s sometimes a chore to find a specific reference I’m looking for 

You need the Logos Doggie Feature Set (the Beagle is especially good).

Posts 720
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 8:59 AM

GaoLu:

Not off topic at all. I have been spending the morning studying debt in Logos. I had to widen the study to "money". The most useful things that I have are some SDA tracts that I bought "willy nilly" and caution me against further "willy nilly" purchases. LOL. On a serious note, the advice is specifically on the topic of investing money in something with hope to later give to the church, but that in the short-term is "buried" money that is not immediately accessible to the church.

https://www.logos.com/product/179113/the-unwise-use-of-money-and-the-spirit-of-speculation

Posts 720
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 9:09 AM

David Wanat:

... I think it is important to have the essential works of other denominations rather than just what others have told me about them in order to avoid rash judgment. ...

...I’ve found the Orthodox packages to be useful in reinforcing my Patristics, and the Lutheran + Anglican sets for wider information on the Reformation.

I am pretty much done with resources ABOUT another group, instead of resources BY them.

It is so interesting to hear the general strengths of each denominations packages. Sometimes the conclusion is applicable to people themselves.

I wonder how much of an impact wide package buying in Logos has on a user's beliefs about other groups.

Posts 932
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 9:27 AM

DMB:

David Wanat:

For sure. It is a little bit short but has a good bark Wink

Posts 720
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 10:15 AM

You all are so funny!

Posts 19599
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 10:16 AM

Kathleen Marie:

GaoLu:

Not off topic at all. I have been spending the morning studying debt in Logos.

Search idea for debt application:

([field heading,largetext,surface] debt) AFTER 88 WORDS ([field heading,largetext] action, activity, application, assignment, characteristic, community, concept, conclusion, consider, contemporary, credential, devotion, digging, discussion, effective, exercise, experiment, guideline, goal, heart, homework, key, idea, important, issue, message, practical, principle, priority, purpose, question, reflection, reshape, revelation, "secret place", step, study, think, tip, "to life", "to live", truth, understand, walk, ”ways to”, "what to", wisdom)

Bookstore section of search shows resources to prayerfully consider for purchase.

Kathleen Marie:
I had to widen the study to "money".

Expanded search by adding "money"

([field heading,largetext,surface] debt,money) AFTER 88 WORDS ([field heading,largetext] action, activity, application, assignment, characteristic, community, concept, conclusion, consider, contemporary, credential, devotion, digging, discussion, effective, exercise, experiment, guideline, goal, heart, homework, key, idea, important, issue, message, practical, principle, priority, purpose, question, reflection, reshape, revelation, "secret place", step, study, think, tip, "to life", "to live", truth, understand, walk, ”ways to”, "what to", wisdom)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1406
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 12:29 PM

DMB:

David Wanat:

I think this one went over my head Wink

WIN 11 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 1129
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 12:59 PM

David Wanat:

Which is why we need more work done on the "Guides--->Cross References".  Vote for that here!!!

I believe truth is objective... not subjective and I believe truth can be proven, even Biblical truth... so....for that reaon...I buy books that are seeking and promoting truth.... 

I will ask opinions... do research on internet... ask friends about an author... and if I can... I will visit a library to try to read some of his works.... before I buy.

"Buy the truth, and do not sell it, Also wisdom and instruction and understanding." - Proverbs 23:23

But.... I have a wide varity of books in my Logos library... which shows to go you.... that I am really one messed up guy that's trying to straighten his life out... lol

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 1279
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 1:00 PM

David Wanat:
I think this one went over my head Wink

Michael, above, compared his library to a series of cute dogs.  Large libraries need to extra-special dogs.

Posts 27912
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2022 1:27 PM

Kathleen Marie:
Have you ever gotten into a rut in your research, and only then looked beyond your former comfort zone?

No and my Library is only 2550, carefully expanded from a base Silver library some years ago. Gold has too much fluff for my studies. I buy selected libraries like Academic, Pentecostal & Charismatic that offer a good deal for books I am interested in. A Gold Legacy libary is attracting my interest, but the fluff is holding me back.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 5971
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 22 2022 11:01 AM

Kathleen Marie:
Do you only purchase books within your own denomination, or do you buy widely from multiple denominations?

I don't understand myself as belonging to a denomination, but I have bought many products by authors from churches and ecclesial communities/denominations other than my own.

Kathleen Marie:
Does anyone ever buy the most unfamiliar and "crazy" collection you can find, to diversify your library?

Not I. I don't buy collections that I don't have a preexisting reason to value at or above their cost to me. That requires having at least some minimal degree of familiarity with some portion of their contents. However, I don't mind having 'fluff' in my library, so I do have lots of stuff that I don't care for.

Kathleen Marie:
Have you ever gotten into a rut in your research, and only then looked beyond your former comfort zone?

I don't have a comfort zone.

Kathleen Marie:
Is a wide library a "waste" of money or essential for you?

Most of the resources in my current Verbum library that I might label essential (such as the ones I consult most often or have read most/all of) are Catholic, as I would label them (so including the Church Fathers). But a minority are Orthodox, ecumenical/secular, Anglican/Protestant, or Jewish. Some Protestant theological traditions appear more frequently than others.

Kathleen Marie:
Do you worry that your purchases might be a sin, because [...] you are reading books that you think might be heresy?

No. Sometimes I go out of my way to acquire works I believe to be heretical.

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & save others time. Thanks!

Posts 9799
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 22 2022 12:55 PM

What a great conversation. Thank you for starting this Kathleen.

Kathleen Marie:
Do you only purchase books within your own denomination, or do you buy widely from multiple denominations?

I purposefully choose from a wide variety of traditions and I take time to tag each author as to what their theological background might be. That way when I read something from that resource, it helps me to understand their perspective.

Kathleen Marie:
Is a wide library a "waste" of money or essential for you?

Essential, given the reasons I expressed above.

Kathleen Marie:
Do you worry that you are hoarding books? Do you worry that your purchases might be a sin, because you are in debt, or you are reading books that you think might be heresy?

I think it is always wise to pass our purchases through the filter of whether they might be excessive. To me it would be worse to have any library in Logos and not use steward this resource. I think we are accountable for everything we have in life including Logos resources. From another perspective I think that it is also good to carefully consider who we give our libraries once we pass as this is all part of stewarding what we have been given.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 720
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 22 2022 5:00 PM

Bruce Dunning:

I think that it is also good to carefully consider who we give our libraries once we pass as this is all part of stewarding what we have been given.

Someone recently showed me how to see the total worth of my Logos library. It is my single earthly treasure of any value, and if I were to pass soon, it is worth something. I had assumed at some point to lose it, like I eventually lose everything. I have never tried to pass ownership of a digital resource, but have lost some through corrupted storage and companies that went out of business and some that I had to abandon (story for another day). I just started living for today with my digital resources.

But this is worth something, and more than it was worth a few months ago.

Despite owning this, I cannot afford a will or anything like that, on top of the debt I have accumulated buying it. LOL. So, is there anything set up that is a free and easy way to make sure a library goes somewhere instead of just becoming the equivalent of rust and moth-food?

Posts 720
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 22 2022 5:04 PM

I was really worried about fluff, and was avoiding a certain package to prevent downloading fluff. And then ... I did the willy nilly because I was curious to see what that fluff would do to my search fields. I am very pleased with the results. I didn't know what I didn't know.

Posts 35783
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 22 2022 5:06 PM

Kathleen Marie:
Despite owning this, I cannot afford a will or anything like that, on top of the debt I have accumulated buying it. LOL. So, is there anything set up that is a free and easy way to make sure a library goes somewhere instead of just becoming the equivalent of rust and moth-food

There are a number of free online sites that allow you to write a will for free. You can even do it without their help - just make sure you have a couple of witnesses sign it. The only advantage of the online sites are they speak legalese ... useful if the will is contested.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 2 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS