Wide and "Crazy" vs Narrow Libraries

Page 3 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 59 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 718
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 22 2022 5:32 PM

MJ. Smith:

Kathleen Marie:
Despite owning this, I cannot afford a will or anything like that, on top of the debt I have accumulated buying it. LOL. So, is there anything set up that is a free and easy way to make sure a library goes somewhere instead of just becoming the equivalent of rust and moth-food

There are a number of free online sites that allow you to write a will for free. You can even do it without their help - just make sure you have a couple of witnesses sign it. The only advantage of the online sites are they speak legalese ... useful if the will is contested.

Thanks! I will take advantage of this opportunity to do something. I am not sure what, yet.

Posts 5968
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 23 2022 9:27 AM

Kathleen Marie:

I was really worried about fluff, and was avoiding a certain package to prevent downloading fluff. And then ... I did the willy nilly because I was curious to see what that fluff would do to my search fields. I am very pleased with the results. I didn't know what I didn't know.

If I don't want a particular resource clogging things up... I don't download it (or I remove it). And if I really don't want it, I'll hide it. I don't have any interest in missing out on good deals because of extra stuff I don't care for.

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & save others time. Thanks!

Posts 2377
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 23 2022 2:24 PM

I look at each base package, figure up all of the resources that I really want to have, and if the cost of the base package is less than the books I want, then I purchase it.  I don't worry about the denominational title.  This usually means I eventually get most levels of every base package except SDA and Pentecostal & Charismatic, since the crossover usually captures any resources I would want from those packages.

I know some people see the extra resources as clutter, but I see them as another link that will lead somewhere when I come across a reference.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 9799
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 23 2022 5:05 PM

MJ. Smith:

Kathleen Marie:
Despite owning this, I cannot afford a will or anything like that, on top of the debt I have accumulated buying it. LOL. So, is there anything set up that is a free and easy way to make sure a library goes somewhere instead of just becoming the equivalent of rust and moth-food

There are a number of free online sites that allow you to write a will for free. You can even do it without their help - just make sure you have a couple of witnesses sign it. The only advantage of the online sites are they speak legalese ... useful if the will is contested.

I was just going to respond to say the same thing. Not only are there ways of creating a will that are free on-line but many lawyers will offer simple will for very little cost with the hope that they will get your business in the future. When I turned 18 my dad made me get a will and I'm pleased that he did. I'm a bit believer that we should all have a will even if we don't think we own much. It is an act  of love toward those who follow to help make things easier for them.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 6004
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 23 2022 5:06 PM

Kathleen Marie:
Do you only purchase books within your own denomination, or do you buy widely from multiple denominations?

While I attend a church of a particular denomination I don't assign a denominational label to myself.  If I did I would have had to change that label a number of times over my life.  For me what's important is that it is local and presents bible base teaching centred on the gospel.

Kathleen Marie:
Does anyone ever buy the most unfamiliar and "crazy" collection you can find, to diversify your library? Have you ever gotten into a rut in your research, and only then looked beyond your former comfort zone?

My library has always been a Blend 43 so getting into a rut and not looking beyond my comfort zone has not been an issue.

Kathleen Marie:
Is a wide library a "waste" of money or essential for you?

For me I don't see it as a waste of money.  Whether it is essential depends upon the individual, there maturity in the faith and their needs.

Kathleen Marie:
Do you worry that you are hoarding books?

No. They are digital and take up only virtual space.  Over the years I have decrease the size of my print library and rarely buy a print book.

Kathleen Marie:
Do you worry that your purchases might be a sin, because you are in debt, or you are reading books that you think might be heresy?

I don't have a concern with a book that I might think are a heresy.  But I might not necessarily recommend them for everyone, we are each at a different point in our faith and for some people they might not be helpful.  As for debt at times I admit I have spent too much on books to the detriment of other responsibilities in my life and so yes that has been a sin on those occasions.  I don't think though having a large or wide library is a sin provided you don't make an idol out of it or continually expanding it beyond your financial means or have pride in the size of your library etc.  Having a large library, you won't read every resource cover to cover, some you may end up not ever opening. The ones you end up never opening some call fluff but I'm fine with fluff, some of it will turn up in search results and you discover a useful perspective or information about the topic you are studying / researching that you otherwise wouldn't.

Kathleen Marie:
If you are feeling playful and creative: Create a title and a brief description for your collection of Logos books.

As I hinted at earlier, I would call it my "Blend 43" Library.

Posts 2946
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2022 8:33 AM

Kathleen Marie:
Do you only purchase books within your own denomination, or do you buy widely from multiple denominations?

I buy widely from multiple denominations.  My denomination and theology is Methodist / Wesleyan.  For 45 years I was a United Methodist pastor.  My Congregation and I are still Methodist, but no longer United Methodist.  Some of my favorite writers are Calvinists, such as Spurgeon, Martyn Lloyd-Jones, and others.  I am more interested that a writer has a "heart for God" than whether or not the writer parrots my beliefs.  I also love the Church Fathers.  I can hold to what is good in a writer while discarding the rest.

Kathleen Marie:
Does anyone ever buy the most unfamiliar and "crazy" collection you can find, to diversify your library? Have you ever gotten into a rut in your research, and only then looked beyond your former comfort zone?

No, I usually buy books related to something that I am interested in.

Kathleen Marie:

An essential.

Kathleen Marie:
Do you worry that you are hoarding books? Do you worry that your purchases might be a sin, because you are in debt, or you are reading books that you think might be heresy?
  I do not worry about hoarding books.  Most of my ministerial books for last 30 years have been in the form of Logos books.  However, I have several thousand paper books of all types.  At one time my purchases were likely a sin, as I went into debt to buy books.  However, that has not been the case for years now.  I will not go into debt to buy a book.  As for reading heresy, I still have enough brain power to separate wheat from chaff when I read.  I recognize heresy when I read it, but I do not consider everyone who disagrees with me doctrinally to be a heretic.  Some of them are merely mistaken

Kathleen Marie:
If you are feeling playful and creative: Create a title and a short description for your collection of Logos books.
"9045 of my Closest Friends".

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 19598
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2022 4:22 PM

Kathleen Marie:

Buying widely allows many searches to find results for forum discussion examples.

Kathleen Marie:
Does anyone ever buy the most unfamiliar and "crazy" collection you can find, to diversify your library?

Depends on collection pricing since seldom spend more than $10 for an individual resource license. Overall, my average is $ 2.20 per resource.

Kathleen Marie:

Essential

Kathleen Marie:
Do you worry that ... you are reading books that you think might be heresy?

Noticed degree of heresy & truth varies among humans, which can be an intriguing/puzzling mix. Most amazing to me is the greatness of God's Holy Love.

Thankful for many friendly forum & Faithlife discussions: have learned a lot plus have a lot to learn.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 52
Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 27 2022 1:01 PM

Kathleen Marie:

I mainly use Logos for daily Bible reading and meditation.

My beliefs are:  Conservative, literal Interpretation of the Inerrant Bible, Baptist, Reformed (which intersects with some Presbyterian/Lutheran/etc doctrine and commentaries but does not agree with all Presbyterian/Lutheran/etc doctrine for example)

I trust, value, and buy books within those types of doctrines.  I seek to identify false doctrine and keep the correct doctrine.  I make "notes" when I identify false doctrine and false teachers and authors using the notes function in Logos.  If the author is overall false I hide those resources by those authors within Logos (Library, Select Resource, Control+RightClick+Hide) because I don't want false ideas polluting or defiling my meditation of the literal interpretation of the Inerrant Bible. 

I desire to be careful to heed the following verses

• Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good - Romans 12:9
  • But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good;  1 Thessalonians 5:21

Verses like this impact how I use Logos

Posts 718
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 27 2022 5:10 PM

Greg:

I mainly use Logos for daily Bible reading and meditation.

... If the author is overall false I hide those resources by those authors within Logos (Library, Select Resource, Control+RightClick+Hide) because I don't want false ideas polluting or defiling my meditation of the literal interpretation of the Inerrant Bible. ...

Forgive me for the truncations, but I really wanted to single out this very interesting point.

For me, meditation is such a very different activity than academic paper writing.

I still find myself resorting back to other software for my devotional time. At first I thought I just needed more training so that my Logos time was more effortless, but I am realizing that even having some of my school resources in my sight is intrusive into my private time. And I don't want the same things "preferred".

Posts 52
Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 27 2022 6:56 PM

Kathleen Marie:

For me, meditation is such a very different activity than academic paper writing.

I still find myself resorting back to other software for my devotional time.

At first I thought I just needed more training so that my Logos time was more effortless,

but I am realizing that even having some of my school resources in my sight is intrusive into my private time.

And I don't want the same things "preferred".

Logos Layouts lets you set up multiple custom layouts for different purposes.  I only have one custom layout I named "Greg's Bible Reading Layout".

But I don't think you can have multiple prioritizations of resources.  That would be helpful to academics who want to also use Logos to deepen their Love for God daily.

I mainly use Logos to deepen my Love for God daily.  Its wonderful to search maps, Bible dictionaries, Hebrew and Greek definitions,  pronunciations, and commentaries to hear God speak his deep love into my heart.  The resources I just mentioned make the Bible understandable, deep, and rich. 

Without Logos I can't find all these insights efficiently and I just settle for a quick understanding, sometimes with multiple physical study Bibles and commentaries, maps, and dictionaries, and a concordance stacked up on my coffee table or kitchen table sometimes.  

I know friends who get distracted with digital Bibles and books, during their meditation on the Bible, but much more often it deepens my Love for God by knowing and hearing so much more about exactly what God is saying to me today.  Its a sweet time with the Lord together.

Posts 2532
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 28 2022 4:26 AM

You can have more than one Faithlife account with

A) more than one LOGIN and/or

B) totally different installations on the same computer. 

Use your broad library for academic research.  Use a narrow one with a different setup for devotions.

Posts 718
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 28 2022 10:16 AM

But you have to repurchase the same books?

I am just starting to fully understand the problem, for me. The recent free Quiet Time MP seminar and this recent post by Greg have been helpful in identifying the issue for me. The "go to seminary" books and articles often state that it is essential for students to have separate devotional time from their studytime, and some insist on a third separate time for connecting with their home church. These three activities can be wildly different for some students. For me, they all require a different prioritized Bible.

I don't think different settings are possible even on different devices with entirely different apps, even using a combination of Logos, Verbum and the Faithlife Study Bible.

Layouts help some, but there are still breakthrough preset Faithlife priorities and favorites that overide EVERYTHING. The more I transition from using Logos as an ebook reader to a personal workspace, the more I am discovering I cannot create three different workspaces for the three separate areas of my life.

GaoLu:

A) more than one LOGIN and/or

B) totally different installations on the same computer. 

Use your broad library for academic research.  Use a narrow one with a different setup for devotions.

Posts 1271
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 28 2022 10:22 AM

Kathleen Marie:

But you have to repurchase the same books?

Nope.

I have 2 FL mobile apps ... I use them for different purposes. On my Mac, I have 2 more FL apps. And another FL on my PC.

Same with desktop ... you can use multiple FL apps, and the same library.

And you can arrange for thinking ... meditating ... getting back on track with Upstairs. Images are nice. Or just hearing the text.

Posts 52
Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 28 2022 12:25 PM

GaoLu:

You could set up another account with another separate free version of Logos that keeps you from the distractions of all your academic resources.

But what I love is actually using many resources that are not free, to deepen my understanding and love of God

Here are the options I am aware of:

• Separate Accounts costs more money, unless you only use the free version for additional accounts
  • Using the same account
    • Separate Desktop Layouts can help remove distractions
    • Separate Online Web App Layouts can help reduce distractions 
    • Separate Mobile App Layouts can help reduce distractions

For now I would try setting up a separate Layout and give it a custom name, like "My Personal Time To Love God More".  Such a name reminds you that is a special time, not to be distracted with other purposes.

We could also ask Logos to design Layouts to not just define the window panes we see within a layout but also include the following options:

• Separate Prioritization of Resources by Layout
  • Separate Hiding of Resources by Layout
  • Separate Hiding of entire packages that we don't want to see when focusing on our own growth in our heart with God by Layout

That would help further to reduce the distractions and accomplish the focus needed for Loving God More.

Posts 718
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 29 2022 12:24 AM

I will play around with the settings again, but it was not that simple with some type of setting that I must have set.

Other members here have mentioned wanting a simple ereader app. I think there is a need for some simple apps designed not to import general setting and that don't include certain things on purpose. Sometimes less is more.

Posts 52
Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 29 2022 10:07 AM

Yes less is better, because focusing on God is most important for meditation on the Word of God

I'll add a new post in the Suggestions Thread for this enhancement

Posts 5968
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 29 2022 3:47 PM

Kathleen Marie:
Sometimes less is more.

Less is Biblia - https://biblia.com

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & save others time. Thanks!

Posts 718
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 29 2022 10:19 PM

Hmm. It looks like the preferred Bible did NOT come up. I would prefer an offline option, but I will play with this. Thanks!

Posts 1924
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 30 2022 8:06 AM

What I do is use the Android Kindle app on my main account for general reading, and the full desktop for when I want full features. Both can run off net on resources that are downloaded.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 718
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 30 2022 6:42 PM

Yes, it looks like the Kindle Fire will allow me to override the general Faithlife preferred Bible setting, for a local preferred Bible.

Page 3 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS