Questions

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 22 2022 7:59 PM

What is the biblical vision for Christianity and Culture as in evangelicals? My church is doing a book study on Living in God's Two Kingdoms by David VanDrunen and A Light to the Nations by Michael W. Goheen. I am not understanding.

Posts 27852
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 22 2022 9:11 PM

Christian Alexander:
What is the biblical vision for Christianity and Culture as in evangelicals?

Search the internet for this  i.e. "Christianity and Culture"

Christian Alexander:
My church is doing a book study on Living in God's Two Kingdoms by David VanDrunen and A Light to the Nations by Michael W. Goheen.

I'm not understanding your question, but I don't have these books to read; which you do. A few questions for your church could resolve this.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 12479
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 23 2022 3:33 AM

Christian Alexander:
My church is doing a book study on Living in God's Two Kingdoms by David VanDrunen and A Light to the Nations by Michael W. Goheen. I am not understanding.

Both books are in Logos:

I don't own them, but it seems they may come to the topic of "missional church" (i.e. what is the task of the church in the world) from differing angles and your church choose to use two books from varying perspectives rather than only one. Possibly the idea is to read the books, understand the concepts and to discuss them in a small-group setting? 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 925
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 23 2022 10:04 AM

NB.Mick:

Christian Alexander:
My church is doing a book study on Living in God's Two Kingdoms by David VanDrunen and A Light to the Nations by Michael W. Goheen. I am not understanding.

Both books are in Logos:

I don't own them, but it seems they may come to the topic of "missional church" (i.e. what is the task of the church in the world) from differing angles and your church choose to use two books from varying perspectives rather than only one. Possibly the idea is to read the books, understand the concepts and to discuss them in a small-group setting? 

I don’t own them either but they look like good books to study. Any other suggestions on this topic?

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 23 2022 3:00 PM

The classic book giving a taxonomy of ways of approaching Christianity and Culture is Christ and Culture by H. Richard Niebuhr. I really wish this were available in Logos. I've asked for it before. (You can go vote for it here: https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-book-requests/posts/christ-and-culture). I am very frustrated, because it's not available as an e-book anywhere, and I can't find my paper version. So I can't even easily give you a summary of the main five categories. I never read it, so I can't even do it from memory. I just know it was majorly influential.

There are a couple of books in the Logos catalogue that revisit and/or critique Christ and Culture:

Christ and Culture Revisited by D.A. Carson

Rethinking Christ and Culture: A Post-Christendom Perspective by Craig A. Carter

Here is a chart of Niebuhr's typology from Rethinking Christ and Culture:

I think evangelicals fall into different camps on this. I think you would find some of them in all five columns of that chart. Some prefer to stay "apart" from the worldly culture. Others exist in a synthesis with the culture around them. Others believe it is Christians' calling to transform the culture. And there are probably others in various gradations of these.

The "Christ transforming culture" column is where most of the new stuff being written (that I'm aware of) is coming from. Stuff like Andy Crouch's Culture Making: Recovering Our Creative Calling (in pre-pub) and For the Beauty of the Church: Casting a Vision for the Arts (a book edited by W. David O. Taylor, which came out of the Transforming Culture conference he organized in 2008, which was focused on the renewal of culture through the arts; the website is no longer online, but I provided a link to the Internet Archive version of it).

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS