WANTED: Logosian or Verbumian interested in apologetics/polemics and argument mapping

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 35558
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 28 2022 2:25 PM

GaoLu:
I think the connection may be the Midrashic notion of juxtaposing multiple sola scriptura passages (pearls) to establish probability.  

Thanks - it is looking at what I would consider midrashic/intertextual interpretation and use of scripture in a different way. It would never occur to me to attach "sola scriptura" to that practice. Unity or coherence of scripture would be the principle that came to my mind.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 35558
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2022 2:47 PM

I have found no takers ... so I am going to start by playing both sides -- not an ideal situation -- and hope observers keep me honest and get someone interested in truly representing the other side.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2372
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2022 5:01 PM

MJ. Smith:

I have found no takers ... so I am going to start by playing both sides -- not an ideal situation -- a hope observers keep me honest and get someone interested in truly representing the other side.

I'm sorry MJ.  I want to be helpful to you on this project, but this is not my area of expertise.  My area would be cultural, historical, and literary context.  Even as far as theology goes, your first focus is something that I know very little about as far as other opinions.  I will gladly jump in if you get to something I know more about.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1048
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2022 5:46 PM

Similar to what Joseph said, this is an area I don't know much about or study. Otherwise, and for other future projects, I could jump in.

Posts 35558
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2022 7:11 PM

As usual my being a top down thinker shoots me in the foot Geeked The pattern as I see it is something like:

• Accept the premise that there is a standard (rule of faith) that judges doctrines and practice as orthodox/orthodpraxy or not
    • for solo scriptura, sola scriptura, Anglican, Methodist, Catholic/Eastern Orthodox etc. define their rule of faith i.e. data that is accepted as evidence
      • Define scripture which probably requires first defining revelation
        • Evidence for sola scripture from the Bible
        • Define/ prove the proposed characteristics of scripture assumed by sola scriptura:
          • the sufficiency of scripture
          • the authority of scripture
          • the clarity of scripture
          • the interpretiveness of scripture

Posts 460
John Connell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2022 3:00 AM

MJ. Smith:
Define scripture which probably requires first defining revelation

Will the process of defining scripture also define the canon?

And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers (Mal 4:6a)

Posts 1164
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2022 9:52 AM

MJ. Smith:

As usual my being a top down thinker shoots me in the foot Geeked 

I can see that logical/scholarly discipline demands your selected path. But from a lazy point of view (me), bottoms up is so much easier. Religions and their derivatives always work off the past. It's easiest as an example, to map out 'Mormonism' (apologies to Ben), starting with 1830s New Testament debates (folks back then were far more text-driven). Even this morning Fredriksen was observing Paul as the ultimate Judahizer (sp; insisting on YHWH and basic Yhwh-demanded behaviors).

Also, bottoms up, allows statistical patterns that belie more modern rationalizations.

Posts 35558
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2022 11:40 AM

John Connell:
Will the process of defining scripture also define the canon?

I would think so.

Posts 35558
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2022 11:46 AM

DMB:
But from a lazy point of view (me), bottoms up is so much easier.

Unfortunately, bottoms up is nearly impossible for me. The best debugging I've ever done was with a colleague who was very much a bottom up thinker. The two of us together were incredible fast at identifying the erroneous code.

DMB:
Also, bottoms up, allows statistical patterns that belie more modern rationalizations.

Hey, I get there even if it is via the slow boat to ...

Posts 733
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 4 2022 6:51 PM

John Goodman:

It's a great idea, I'm sorry I can't volunteer but I really like it!

My thoughts EXACTLY! 

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS