Question - evangelical counterproposal to Barth

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 35553
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 24 2022 10:00 PM

In reading about Barth on scripture I found this: 

[quote user=""Karl Barth's Doctrine of the Word of God in Threefold Form - The PostBarthian]The revealed Word of God we know only from the Scripture adopted by Church proclamation or the proclamation of the Church based on Scripture.

The written Word of God we know only through the revelation which fulfills proclamation or through the proclamation fulfilled by revelation.

The preached Word of God we know only through the revelation attested in Scripture or the Scripture which attests revelation.]" {/quote]

Can anyone point me towards an evangelical source that discusses the relationship between the Word of God and Scripture? (yes, this is preparatory to an argument map project).

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1376
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2022 1:21 AM

This should be up my alley, but I haven't really dug around in evangelical sources about it. After I went Barthian I basically didn't go back.

One classic source, predating Barth, that may be close to what you are looking for is B. B. Warfield's Article "T SAYS:” “SCRIPTURE SAYS:” “GOD SAYS”. (Interestingly, I got this just yesterday in the L5 Reformed Silver legacy library--I'm happy to put it use already!) If you have Warfield's works, it's in the first volume, page 283. The whole volume is on Revelation and Inspiration and surely would have a wealth of useful material for you. Warfield is in my estimation the sharpest of the "Old Princeton" theologians and an intriguing writer who really stimulates thought even in disagreement.

If you don't have Warfield's works, it's PD and available online.

If you need more, let me know and I can dig around some.

Posts 35553
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2022 1:34 AM

Thank you - I do have the Warfield volume - untouched to the best of my knowledge. Thank you very much.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 600
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2022 5:06 AM

Vanhoozer's work (e.g. Drama of Doctrine) discusses the relationship of the Bible and theology, hinging around this discussion of the word of God. 

The word of God is living and active: the Bible is not merely a record of revelation but the means by which God, in and through the human authors, has an ongoing speaking part. (DD 177)

Posts 610
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2022 7:55 AM

John Frame’s chapter in “The Inerrant Word”, “Foundations of Biblical Inerrancy”, would be my recommendation. 

https://www.logos.com/search?query=the%20inerrant%20word&sortBy=Relevance&limit=30&page=1&ownership=all&geographicAvailability=availableToMe

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2022 12:19 PM

J.I. Packer's 'Fundamentalism' and the Word of God would be a good one to look at, particularly Chapter IV, "Scripture", and even more particularly within that, there's a whole sub-subsection (II.b. The Word of God) which spans 7 pages.

Here's the outline of that chapter.

Posts 201
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2022 1:26 PM

Frame's book The Doctrine of the Word of God is probably the greatest modern evangelical statement. Millard Erickson's chapter on Special Revelation in Christian Theology interacts with Barth directly.

Posts 35553
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2022 2:30 PM

Thank you - I've added four new volumes to my library ...

Posts 5039
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2022 2:31 PM

I wouldn't call it extensive but a newer Systematic that talks on this is the Reformed Systematic Theology set (Volume 1). Beginning of Chapter 13

Posts 964
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2022 6:02 PM

Gregory Lawhorn:

John Frame’s chapter in “The Inerrant Word”, “Foundations of Biblical Inerrancy”, would be my recommendation. 

https://www.logos.com/search?query=the%20inerrant%20word&sortBy=Relevance&limit=30&page=1&ownership=all&geographicAvailability=availableToMe

I second this source and the one below it from Frame. I can remember my seminary class on the Doctrine of the Word of God with John Frame. John interacted a lot with Barth's view.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS