Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 1 2022 5:54 PM

Every time I enter a search term, I lose the classics "type" & it disappears from my options to select. I suppose this means there aren't any "hits" on my search criteria, but I'd sure like a more direct answer than the inability to keep a search parameter.

Has anyone been successful in searching the classics for a resource? I'm looking for English translations of medieval mystics (St John of the Cross, Teresa of Avila, etc.)...

Thanks if you have any insight in how to proceed. I don't really want to wade through the 4,000+ possibilities looking for them.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
iPad 9th Gen iOS 15.6, 256GB

Posts 30879
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2022 6:05 PM

Which website are you using? I always use Logos, not FLEB.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 36392
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2022 6:31 PM

First search for St. John of the Cross - then select ebook classics in the type.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 737
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 1 2022 9:31 PM

Do you have the catholic topical index? I mostly only know enough to know how little I know. But I think the classical stuff is better linked to the Verbum stuff than the Logos stuff. There was some sort of classical version that was abandoned or something. I just know that on my devices I seem to get a ton more hits from my Harvard classics and Britannica Great Books and Perseus Collection on anything Catholic related. But ... I don't know what I am doing. LOL.

I recently watched a video that showed how to search by type from any ONE resource that I did find, to find similarly tagged resource. I'm not allowed to say the provider here, though. I think moving forward, for the most bang for my buck, I need more training than I need advanced features. Good luck! The learning curve is steep. Sometimes I am learning things that I think can be applied to other software and other types of research, so I just keep pushing forward, and I'm glad that I sometimes am too ignorant of all that is ahead or I would give up before I try.

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2022 1:52 PM

MJ, this works, but it's sure seems backwards from the way I think! If I'm starting in classic ebooks, I'd like to search within that category rather than being taken to square one within each new search.

That's what was confusing me. Here were my steps:

1. start looking at classic ebooks to pick 3 for this month's freebies
  2. search thru 10-20 pages, 60 to a page & get tired of looking one-by-one
  3. Look thru author's list for inspiration - none listed that I'm still interested in exploring
  4. remember that I enjoy medieval spiritualism
  5. still thinking I'm within a search for classic ebooks, search for an author that I CAN remember
  6. find resource, add to cart, discover that the freebie code doesn't work
  7. go back & look at search--discover I stopped searching ebook classics as soon as I entered a search term
  8. try the search again; look for classic ebook category; it's missing
  9. Write the forums........

I'd sure like to see the classic ebook available to select, whether or not it eliminates all resource hits. As things stand, it disappears....

Thanks again for help. 

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2022 1:55 PM

JT (alabama24):

Which website are you using? I always use Logos, not FLEB.

JT, I started from the monthly perks email. Not sure which website it takes me to. I was looking for 3 books to select for monthly freebies. I'm running out of books that I'd want to add to my library, so I'm out on the fringes of my interest. Don't always remember the names of authors, though I do remember what I think of as the genre.

Blessings!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb

Posts 36392
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2022 2:16 PM

BillS:
MJ, this works, but it's sure seems backwards from the way I think!

I think it is a rather bizarre way to do it as well but . . .

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 30879
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 2 2022 2:32 PM

BillS:
Not sure which website it takes me to.

One of two: 

LOGOS: Click Here

FLEB: Click Here

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1
Scott Derby | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2022 4:20 AM

Bill:

This may sound like a cumbersome/techie method of doing it, but a way I found that works out is to bypass the checkboxes and enter your terms directly in the URL box (the place where you type in the address of the web page you want).  Copy the text below and try it out:

https://ebooks.faithlife.com/search?query=search&context=product&sortBy=Bestselling&limit=60&filters=Faithlife%20Ebooks%20Classics%3Aresourcetype-faithlifeebooksclassics_Resource%20Type&page=1&ownership=unowned&geographicAvailability=availableToMe

Originally, you mentioned an interest in medieval spirituality.  In the above link, right after the "ebooks.faithlife.com" address you should see "/search?query=search&".  The statement "query=" is how you'd enter in your search terms so the system understands what you want.  I added the word "search" just a a placeholder.  Here is what you'd do:  Copy the long address above into the address/URL bar on your browser, but don't press Enter yet!  Click on that address so your cursor is just to the right of the word "search" in the phrase "query=search&", but just to the left of the "&" symbol.  Note that the entire address should not be selected/highlighted. Once you've done that, backspace over the word "search" and then enter in any term you'd like (say, "medieval").  After that, press Enter and see what happens.

I know this sounds weird and cumbersome, but after you've done it a few times it will be second nature (like most things in life).

I hope this works for you.  Note that after you initially paste in the provided address, you can save it as a bookmark for future use.  You can also edit it in any way that makes it more useful/understandable to you.

If I've made any errors, please let me know.

Scott

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS