Survey: Quotations for Sermons and Teaching

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1367
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 3 2022 9:45 AM

We're thinking about how to improve Logos for finding quotations for use in preaching and teaching. Please fill out this survey to help us prioritize our development.

Feel free to add other comments to this thread after completing the survey. 

Posts 1067
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2022 10:18 AM

Done.

I used to invest lots of time keeping track of illustrations and quotations, first with a paper filing system, then with an application I wrote, then with someone else's app. I don't find that approach necessary or helpful any longer. Everyone has their own style, but my preaching connects better if I distance myself from canned things. However, if I am inspired by something I read while preparing a message, that quote/illustration seems to be more vital than if I go looking for a quote. I'll do it on occasion, but my process requires discipline and discretion. Again, that's just my style.

Posts 9842
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2022 11:12 AM

Glad to help. Done!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 36299
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2022 1:28 PM

Things that would greatly help me find and manage quotations:

1. Integrate clippings (quotations) with notes

2. Separate biblical studies monographs into their own library type

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9553
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 3 2022 3:12 PM

Most of the quotations I use come from:

1. Reading and/or preparation for preaching or teaching in Logos. A good filing system in Logos is very helpful. Currently when I find a quote in Logos, I use a note file with all my quotes and illustrations and tag them. I also have some clippings files, but have turned away from using them.

2. Online reading, reading a Kindle book, or reading a print book. I copy and paste an online or Kindle quote into my notes file. Print book quotes go in my notes file since I have to type them somewhere.

I don't seem to have any favorite Logos books of quotes. When I find them through the Sermon Starter Guide (searching my own collection of illustration/quotation books) the ones I use seem to come from a lot of different resources.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1367
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 4 2022 1:28 PM

Lots of great feedback so far. I'd love to hear from more of you, so keep it coming!

Posts 956
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 4 2022 3:28 PM

Submitted

Posts 748
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 4 2022 6:25 PM

I primarily use:

1) an Illustrations & Quotes clippings document for material from Logos/Faithlife resources and

2) an Illustrations & Quotes notebook in the Logos Notes tool for tracking material from outside the Logos/Faithlife resource platform

Posts 6109
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 5 2022 8:59 AM

In general, I could collect quotations for my own use much more smoothly if I had a longer list of right-click options to add to Clippings documents, and if I could add quotations with Clippings documents without those documents opening, or at least without the focus being changed to them.

“The trouble is that everyone talks about reforming others and no one thinks about reforming himself.” St. Peter of Alcántara

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS