Page 1 of 3 (47 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 46 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 2
Dr. Wade T. Bridges | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 3 2022 3:47 PM

I know thus us crazy but I love my Wordsearch 10. I need the two set of numbers to install my list of books. I have been told to install Logos which I totally hate. Is there a way to use either Wordsearch 10 or 12?  I refuse to loose what I paid for. 

Dr. Wade Bridges

Posts 5978
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 4 2022 10:01 AM

Welcome to the Forum Wade.

As you will know there is no reason for your Wordseach installation to stop working on the installation it was on when Faithlife took over the company and rescued its customers. But once Wordsearch ceased trading, reinstalling their software in new environments became problematical.

I take it you have searched your existing discs for records of the licence keys for Wordsearch to no avail?

Quite a few users who hate Logos have settled down to use it in order not to 

Dr. Wade T. Bridges:
to loose what I paid for.
and this would appear to be your best option in order to continue with all your resources. Which indeed are not lost but simply available in a slightly different format.

There are many of us here who will be pleased to guide you if/when you need to use your resources on the platform now available to you.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 1212
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 6 2022 5:50 PM

Dr. Wade T. Bridges:

I know thus us crazy but I love my Wordsearch 10. I need the two set of numbers to install my list of books. I have been told to install Logos which I totally hate. Is there a way to use either Wordsearch 10 or 12?  I refuse to loose what I paid for. 

Dr. Wade Bridges

I was a happy WS user myself. I was in WS 12. When the transition from WS to Logos happened... I had a "new day vision" of the day when WS would not work... and I figured my best option was to learn Logos. That was then...   Now... I'm a thinking Logos is much more powerful, much more flexible to accomplish studies and such than WS was or is. There is a learning curve.... but it's worth it.

Also.... I have found the forums and Logos support to be top drawer. 

I highly suggest that you won't loose anything by going through the transition. I suggest you will gain. And I highly recommend you consider "barging ahead with full speed" as they say. Learning is always work.... but sometimes our attitude makes work mucho harder.

And as has been mentioned.... the forums are excellent places to ask questions... learn from many Logos users that are great in their willingness to answer and help. Mucho better than WS... IMHO.

I wish you well....

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 11
Mark Cowen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2022 1:56 PM

Dr. Wade T. Bridges:

Dr. Wade Bridges

I know EXACTLY how you feel!!!  I have tried and tried to get accustomed to Logos and can't do it.  There may be a few things that Logos is better at but for the whole (for me) WordSearch smokes Logos.  Logos (for me) bogs down as it is searching for a bunch of things that I don't / won't use.  And then the Search tabs start adding up and if you don't close them out, the whole thing crashes and you're left with a blank screen.  Then you have to Layouts --> Favorites and reload.  Another feature that I can't stand with Logos is having to type everything out when going from Bible (book, chapter, and verse) rather than using the mouse to click a drop down menu. 

Sorry Logos, but I truly cannot stand how this has all worked out.  I have downloaded E-Sword on a new computer because of ease of use but it does not have all my books on it.  The ONLY reason I continue to use Logos is because "I refuse to loose what I paid for." My office computer does not have WordSearch on it and that's where I do all my study.  I so wish there was a way to get WordSearch to this new computer.

Posts 11
Mark Cowen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2022 2:14 PM

Good afternoon Mike,

I have successfully retrieved all my books from WordSearch over to Logos but I cannot get accustomed to the Logos format.  I've tried now for a few months.  I'm sure Logos has its pros over WordSearch but it's the simple things that I miss the most.  It's the simplicity of navigating to different bible verses, the simplicity of searches and their quickness.  Not bogging down and crashing (my layout going completely blank).  It's the bible format with each verse having its own line rather than in paragraph form making it harder to find.  And then finally, I still haven't figure out how to use everything:  bookmarking for quick returns as you build a sermon, link setting for new books opened rather than automatic synch.  I'm just not happy.

Posts 9
Mark Evans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2022 7:51 PM

I agree with you my brother Wordsearch user. I took a 1.5 yr sabbatical and opened up my software and went to the website to just to discover that Lifeway had sold out to Faithlife and now we are without all the wonderful functions we had and the wonderful salesperson we had and all the affordable resources we had. Lifeway's Wordsearch was truly a ministry to pastors. Especially those of us who don't have a mega church and a mega salary to afford the exorbitant prices of that the owner loves to charge ensure his continued wealth. 

What would Jesus say is he wrote a letter to Faithlife and its owner like he did the seven churches of Asia minor?

Posts 36109
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2022 11:59 AM

Mark Evans:
What would Jesus say is he wrote a letter to Faithlife and its owner like he did the seven churches of Asia minor?

He'd probably thank FaithLife for taking on the headache of converting WordSearch resources to Logos resources rather than leaving WordSearch users in the same plight as BibleWorks ussers. And thank them for doing their best to run an ethical company. They certainly are not perfect and on occasion I lose patience with them. Yes, their definition of intuitive is not always my definition of intuitive but they have stayed in business where others fail because they do meet the needs of a broad swath of people.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2242
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2022 12:15 PM

Mark Evans:

Especially those of us who don't have a mega church and a mega salary to afford the exorbitant prices of that the owner loves to charge ensure his continued wealth. 

Mark

I would love to hear your definition of a mega church pastor with a mega church salary.   I pastor a church of around 40-50 on a regular basis and have used Logos for over 20 years.  I have been able to build a good library and still meet the needs of my family.   

Posts 1212
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2022 5:21 PM

Mark Cowen:

I have successfully retrieved all my books from WordSearch over to Logos but I cannot get accustomed to the Logos format.  I've tried now for a few months.  I'm sure Logos has its pros over WordSearch but it's the simple things that I miss the most.  It's the simplicity of navigating to different bible verses, the simplicity of searches and their quickness.  Not bogging down and crashing (my layout going completely blank).  It's the bible format with each verse having its own line rather than in paragraph form making it harder to find.  And then finally, I still haven't figure out how to use everything:  bookmarking for quick returns as you build a sermon, link setting for new books opened rather than automatic synch.  I'm just not happy.

Sorry your not happy. Logos is the result of "information overload" which means it is very flexible and easy once you learn it.. .but at first it is overwhelming to the exponentiality.

One thing I might help with, if you haven't already found it is the one-verse-per-line Bible  view.   This is a simple one and yet it caused me grief every time I got into Logos. I don't like paragraph mode at all! Finally, someone helped me find it... so I'll share it with you. Hope it helps a little bit.

As far as bookmarking.... I have not found such in Logos. Logos like WordSearch, has what is called "Highlighting" whereby you can highlight a passage or sentence in one of your books and put that into a Note. Lots of people use Highlighting...but I don't use it myself... If that meets your fancy... you might go to the "Home Forum Screen" and do a search about "Highlighting" and I'm sure you get lots of information about it.

I use what is called "Passage List". You can find this in "Docs --->New--->Passage List" on your main Logos screen.  I create a new Passage List, give it a name about what I am studying ...then as I read... I type the verse into my Passage list. Then I have the Passage List until I delete it. In WordSearch... there was the "Verse List".. which is about the same thing as Passage List. I transfered my "Verse Lists" into "Passage Lists" in Logos. Passage List has the direct link to a Bible verse.  If I want to use a line or paragraph in one of my books other than my Bible... I will create a note for that verese in my Bible.... then create a link from the book and put that link in my note for that verse. I use Notes expansively.... I just don't do highting.

There may be better ways.... and hopefully someone will post it...  but this is what I've found that works for me. And I am still learning... Geeked

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 36109
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2022 10:44 PM

xnman:
I don't like paragraph mode at all!

Can you explain to me why you like verse breaks? I understand breaking on sentences or paragraphs but have never understood the appeal of verses.

Does the panel history or the wear bar history serve a function similar to what you call book-marking? If not, I suspect one could use favorites for the same effect.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1212
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2022 4:30 AM

MJ. Smith:

xnman:
I don't like paragraph mode at all!

Can you explain to me why you like verse breaks? I understand breaking on sentences or paragraphs but have never understood the appeal of verses.

Does the panel history or the wear bar history serve a function similar to what you call book-marking? If not, I suspect one could use favorites for the same effect.

wear bar history? No savvy???? What is that?

Oops! I reread your post and now I understand....  I don't like the verses in my Bible to be all mushed together. It confuses me. And when I want to look and the lemmas ... then I can follow the layout of the interlinear much better.   But maybe there is a better way? Geeked

Still don't understand wear bar history...??????

Posts 56
depdad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2022 7:39 AM

Great reply, MJ :)

Posts 5978
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2022 10:40 AM

Mark, this is indeed a sad situation.

Mark Cowen:
I have tried and tried to get accustomed to Logos and can't do it.

Knowing that there are so many who have tried and succeeded this must be very depressing for you. Might I suggest that you try and master the simple aspects in the initial stages perhaps just using eg the Passage Guide and working out from there.

If you give us an idea of some of the things that you used to do in Wordsearch that you find problematical I am sure that somebody will be able to guide you in an efficient method of accomplishing the same outcome in Logos.

Mark Cowen:
Search tabs start adding up and if you don't close them out, the whole thing crashes and you're left with a blank screen. 

Now this is an atypical experience. One might well be advised to start a new thread in the desktop forum and attach logs to the post. Some of the technically minded there might be able to pinpoint the cause of the failure.

Mark Cowen:
My office computer does not have WordSearch on it and that's where I do all my study.  I so wish there was a way to get WordSearch to this new computer.
Mark Cowen:
I have downloaded E-Sword on a new computer because of ease of use but it does not have all my books on it.

I am really sorry but I have never heard of anyone getting their Logos library to load into E-Sword. Perhaps in retrospect it would have been wise to install Wordsearch on your other computers before the demise of the company.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 658
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2022 11:23 AM

Mark Cowen:
And then the Search tabs start adding up and if you don't close them out, the whole thing crashes and you're left with a blank screen.

Depending on "How" you are trying to search this may offer a partial solution.

If I am wanting to do a word search in my bible I will:

1) Right click on the word in question.
2) In the context menu that opens up I will choose proper item on the LEFT hand side. In this instance I rt-clicked on "Herod" and chose "Selection Herod".
3) Still on the left side I chose "Herod The Great Person".
4) Then on the right side of the menu I chose "Bible" search.

Once the search panel opened,

1) In the upper right corner I clicked on the Three vertical dots (the panel menu).
2) I clicked on "Send Searches Here".

Now on subsequent searches ALL such context menu searches will open in the SAME tab.

3) The Bull's Eye symbol will appear after the next search and remain on until you turn off the "Send Searches Here" option.

Concerning the returning to a blank screen after a crash, do you by chance in the Logos setup menu have "At Startup Open to:" set to "Blank Layout"?

Posts 36109
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2022 2:03 PM

xnman:
Still don't understand wear bar history...??????

Show Auto and Favorite Bookmarks

Verbum shows “wear marks” in the scrollbar of resources to indicate the user’s most visited locations in a resource. These appear as short horizontal gray lines on the right edge of the resource. Additionally, if users add a location to their Favorites, a line will appear also in the resource scroll bar.

Setting this to Yes turn these lines on; setting it to No turns them off.

Verbum Help (Bellingham, WA: Faithlife, 2018).

Use the back and forward arrow buttons on the right of the panel toolbar to navigate in the panel history.

Posts 1212
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2022 6:08 AM

MJ. Smith:

Show Auto and Favorite Bookmarks

Verbum shows “wear marks” in the scrollbar of resources to indicate the user’s most visited locations in a resource. These appear as short horizontal gray lines on the right edge of the resource. Additionally, if users add a location to their Favorites, a line will appear also in the resource scroll bar.

Setting this to Yes turn these lines on; setting it to No turns them off.

Use the back and forward arrow buttons on the right of the panel toolbar to navigate in the panel history.

Ah Ha! I don't have Verbum... but I did have mine turned off. Thanks!

Posts 2595
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2022 7:34 AM

xnman:
As far as bookmarking.... I have not found such in Logos.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but Logos does bookmarks.  Search for "Favorites" under "Tools" and the bookmark feature is at the bottom of the "favorites" window.

Posts 36
Charlie Ferrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2022 1:15 PM

If you have WS installed on a working computer and a copy of a WSsetup file, you are good to go. You can save the ProgramData\WORDsearch file and copy into the same file on a fresh re-install and it will work. Only hickup is you open your books from the Library page instead the working page. I started a WORDsearch Users FB Group for just this type of info... 

Posts 36
Charlie Ferrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2022 1:17 PM

I just installed WS 11 on my new laptop today.. All you need is a working WS on a computer and the WSsetup file... WORDsearch Users FB Group

Posts 36
Charlie Ferrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2022 1:19 PM

All is not lost... I just installed WS11 on my new laptop.... Yu do need a working copy of your books on a computer and the WS 11 setup file.. WORDsearch Users FB Group

Page 1 of 3 (47 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS