Logical Use of Notes Icons

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 168
Dennis Davis | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 8 2022 6:43 AM

This year, I'm looking to change how I manage my notes using the notes icons and I'm wondering what system others may be using to categorize their notes using the various note icon symbols and colors?  Has anyone ever seen a blog on this topic from Morris or someone else? Thank you in advance for all answers. 

Posts 31
Cal | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 8 2022 7:46 AM

Greetings Dennis- 

I like to write (take notes) commentary style, so I attach a note icon to each verse I comment on.  I use the four sided star because it is the smallest icon.  If I add more than an exegetical comment, I will use a five sided star to indicate an excursion.  So I just use two note icons, both in red.  

The note icons become a problem when you remove all highlights from a biblical book so you can reread and re-highlight.  The icons disappear along with all of your highlights.  Now you have to add them all back one by one so you know what verses you have commented on.

Hope this helps a little, cj

Posts 31
Cal | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 8 2022 7:46 AM

Greetings Dennis- 

I like to write (take notes) commentary style, so I attach a note icon to each verse I comment on.  I use the four sided star because it is the smallest icon.  If I add more than an exegetical comment, I will use a five sided star to indicate an excursion.  So I just use two note icons, both in red.  

The note icons become a problem when you remove all highlights from a biblical book so you can reread and re-highlight.  The icons disappear along with all of your highlights.  Now you have to add them all back one by one so you know what verses you have commented on.

Hope this helps a little, cj

Posts 2701
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 8 2022 11:27 AM

I have several note notebooks and the color scheme is generally undisciplined and random.

For my devotional journal notes I use the SPECK structure,

Sin to confess

Promise to claim

Example to follow

Command to obey

Knowledge to contemplate, my highlighting pallet looks like

which I replicate in hardcopy in a Journal Bible that I hope my children will one day treasure.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 932
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 8 2022 12:15 PM

Dennis, I haven't seen a blog on this topic but here is what I do. I don't use an icon for every highlight or note. I use separate icons for working in my Bibles and reserve them just for my Bibles. I have one icon for notes that relate to a book of the bible as a whole. It  is for comments in commentaries, etc.  that relate the book of the Bible I am studying.  I have other icons that relates to the chapter, pericope, and verse. When I open my bible I can see what my notes relate to. I am working through a calendar devotional (365 Day Devotional Commentary) and use an icon for the first verse of the daily readings. The other icons that I use relate to my general notes which I use when reading a book or working in a course. If something is important or I want to remember it I give it a certain icon depending upon the topic. As far as icon colors go I have one color for notes that relate to scripture (the anchor is a Bible verse), another color for devotional icons, and then a variety of colors for other notes which again depend on the  topic. In this third group of notes, the more important the note, the darker the color so that it will stand out.  In using highlights I have 3 highlight colors that I use. The first color relates to chapter or sectional heading, the second color relates to subheading and the last color relates to individual highlights within that subheading. I have notebooks for each book of the Bible. When working with a book at is not versified I create a notebook and title it with the name of that book. I have other notebooks for personal study notes - various things I want to remember (dates of the prophets, etc.) I create separate notebooks for courses I am taking, devotional study, study projects, etc.

Posts 1128
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 8 2022 7:12 PM

I use Notes Notebooks for various topics (one topic per notebook) and have a different note icon for each notebook.

So all the notes in a notebook have the same Icon and notebook name.

I use light green for Old Testament, dark green for church/kingdom, gold for Godhead, yellow for salvation, blue for denominational dogmas and ideology... prayer, worship, difficult passages, people, ... etc.

I link my notes by adding "Next" and "Prev" in the note and then putting the verse for "Next" and "Prev" next to the word... so I can start and just go through all my notes for that topic...  I find this helps with studies....

I also tag all my notes....every note. I follow the same topic in my tags as I do in my color scheme.

I have many of my notes still in MS Word... and am working on getting them into Logos as I have time.

I find this way works best for me.

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 108
Maria | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 9 2022 9:09 AM

David,

I really like your example of SPECK structure. I plan to give it a try.

Thank you!

Maria 

Testing

Posts 108
Maria | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 9 2022 9:09 AM

David,

I really like your example of SPECK structure. I plan to give it a try.

Thank you!

Maria 

Testing

Posts 168
Dennis Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 9 2022 5:28 PM

Thanks everyone.  You've all given me some great ideas to build on. Much appreciated. 

Posts 9799
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2022 8:45 AM

David Thomas:

Knowledge to contemplate, my highlighting pallet looks like

Thanks for sharing David. Are these icons available to share? I'd love to add them to my list.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 10
Brian Ramdhan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2022 10:18 AM

Is it possible for you to show an example pic of this Speck in your logos? 

Posts 2701
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2022 11:20 AM

Bruce Dunning:
Are these icons available to share?

I can't see a way to share a highlighting pallet, so I'll share my process.

1, Duplicate "Highlighter Pallete" and rename to SPECK

2. delete the colors that are not part of my scheme

3. edit "green highlighter" by changing name to "Command to Obey"

4. select an image from the provided icons that most closely resembles a command.

5. save edits.

6. repeat 2-5 for remaining 4 colors.

Now this palette shows up in my list of available pallets. (I assigned all highliters in this palette to my notebook: "Bible Journaling Notes"

Hat Tip: Here is where I got the idea of adding icons to SPECK categories, this page may inspire your own creativity - https://community.logos.com/forums/t/40668.aspx 

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2701
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2022 11:29 AM

Brian Ramdhan:
Is it possible for you to show an example pic of this Speck in your logos? 

Here is yesterday's mark-up from my journal. Each time I read a passage, the Holy Spirit may prompt different SPECKS.

Sometimes I add a note to a highlight (see 13:4-5), sometimes I just let the highlight rest on the text (13:11 & 14)

Posts 2701
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2022 11:48 AM

Brian Ramdhan:
Is it possible for you to show an example pic

Here is a random pic from what this looks like in my non-logos Journal (that I hope will be valued in my estate)

The booklet is from https://www.christianbook.com/csb-scripture-notebook-new-testament/9781087734231/pd/734239? 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS