Transfer of Resources to Another User

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 22
Phil Cooper | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 10 2022 9:06 AM

I need some gentle assistance.

I am 81, a Logos used for 20+ years, a layman's layman, hardy a power user.  Have taught Sunday School and Bible Study classes for 50+ years.  Through upgrades, deals, etc. I have acquired a library of some 2,500 resources - a fraction of which I have used over the years.

Personally know a 30ish year old ministry couple, both ordained, 4 children, who have just assumed their first church.  I want to transfer the bulk of my library to them - probably 2,000 resources, keeping only what I need for personal/teaching needs.

Logos wants an email listing items to be transferred.  They suggest going to "Order History" in personal account and creating a "cvs order history" - easily accomplished.  From that list they asked me to "cut and paste" each item to be transferred and forwarded via email - labor intensive.  The cvs order history file is difficult to work with, hard to identify individual resources.  It is much easier to work from my library from within the Logos Application itself.

Have any of you endeavored to transfer bulk resources before?  Ideas, suggestions, recommendations?  Any comments greatly appreciated.

Tks.

Phil

Posts 30672
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2022 11:54 AM

Phil Cooper:
I want to transfer the bulk of my library to them - probably 2,000 resources, keeping only what I need for personal/teaching needs.

Keeping resources may be problematic. It is my understanding that items purchased in a package (i.e. "Logos 4 Platinum") must be transferred as a unit. Likewise, when you made subsequent purchases and received a discount for previously owned items (i.e. "Logos 5 Silver"), then those resources get tied in with the previous ones ("Logos 4 Platinum" and "Logos 5 Silver"). 

I have never needed to do what you are trying to do, but I have been the grateful recipient of resources from another user. Hopefully someone else will have more experience and be able to better assist you. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1453
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 10 2022 1:15 PM

This definitely looks to be a bit of a nightmare (JT mentioned how packages get transferred). And given Faithlife's rules, I can see why they want to work off of the purchase history.  Each resource could be in multiple packages ... which one??

I wonder if it might be easier, to identify what Phil wants to keep (working off the purchase history), request to move those packages/resources to a new account (same user), and then gift the remaining?

I've thought about this problem for myself ... it's almost easier to gift the whole thing, and re-buy a small useful package. Almost.

Posts 5978
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2022 12:29 AM

I'm with DMB on this Phil transfer the whole of your library.

then either

Ask the recipients to pay for the items you want to keep and start a new account.

or

Just buy the resources you need as you need them.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2022 4:33 AM

Mike Binks:

Phil transfer the whole of your library.

then either

Ask the recipients to pay for the items you want to keep and start a new account.

or

Just buy the resources you need as you need t

Agree

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 1986
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2022 10:40 AM

DMB:

it's almost easier to gift the whole thing, and re-buy a small useful package. Almost.

It is easier, but it will cost! I think this is what I would do. Buy the smallest workable base Package and add books as I need them. This new Package could be willed to someone else when I go to Heaven. 

Posts 463
John Connell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2022 11:46 AM

Phil, thank you for starting this post. I am only a half dozen years behind you and the same kinds of thoughts have become frequent of late.

My children are committed to old fashioned books and aren't going to be too interested in my Logos resources. My problem is a bit complicated since some of my resources were transferred to me and cannot be transferred again. That said, I think making a clean breast of it by dontating my account and then picking up a new smaller package will be my preferred course of action. I like having lots of resources for teaching and leading small group Bible studies, but when I age out of that I will require a much smaller library for personal study, reading and devotions.

-john 

And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers (Mal 4:6a)

Posts 2595
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2022 11:52 AM

This is just a thought, but if you know you are a few years away from donating your library and want to have some key resources for your continued personal use, it might be beneficial to watch the sales and purchase those resources under a separate account now if the price is right.

Posts 2849
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2022 12:56 PM

I would gift the whole thing than buy a package that works well enough. Don't make this more difficult than it needs to be.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1453
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2022 2:57 PM

I suppose a bit late for Phil, but for newer folks, keeping track of purchase stand-alones, early on, could be helpful in the Logosian twilight years (typically begin, when you can't remember what you read just hours ago).  

Early in my unstrategic purchasing plan, I bought singles and avoided packages like the plague (Logos wasn't/isn't my primary). But as it turns out, almost all my Libby library is stand-alone ... an easy list for later, of my basics.

Plus Libby comes complete with her very own collectable CDs, authentically stamped in the Libronix mailroom, and date stamped by our Post Office. This should really be valuable years ago!

Posts 22
Phil Cooper | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2022 2:03 PM

Gentlemen,

3+ months ago the consensus of your opinion was for me to transfer my entire library to the recipient and purchase needed resources anew.

Long story short; despite my desire to just retain some resources, early encouragement from Logos, and recipient's hesitation over learning curve and required resources; the transfer was completed yesterday as you recommended. 

All parties are delighted.

Thank you for your counsel and eagerness to help.

Phil

Posts 737
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2022 4:08 PM

Thanks, Phil. for "the rest of the story." (Your bio suggests your old enough to be able to remember Paul Harvey!) Big Smile

Posts 22
Phil Cooper | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2022 10:09 PM

Thanks, Steve for your friendly note.  Paul Harvey is, indeed, well within memory. 

Phil

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS