Possible Option for Commentaries Section in Passage Guide

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 57
depdad | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 15 2022 7:47 AM

I like Logos. There is a learning curve, but through the Morris Proctor videos, I was amazed at how much I didn't know about the program. 

I have a suggestion/request, if possible. In Wordsearch, when you opened a Scripture under their Cross Reference tab, the commentaries would open along with their many other resources (Bible, Illustrations, etc.) The commentaries would bring up every incidence of where that Scripture was mentioned and not just the specific Scripture that you had open. It gave you a lot more information quickly without having to go to your Collections Tab and opening the Commentary there to gain the same information.

Is there a way to create an option so that the Commentaries in your Passage Guide could do the same without having to scroll down to the Collections tab and go through the many steps to get the same information?

I appreciate all your input and help. I also appreciate what Logos has done for me in my studies and preparation for messages and teachings.

Posts 36375
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2022 5:20 PM

bump in order to gain attention in hopes of an answer 3

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5999
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2022 4:21 AM

Is an inline search any help?

If not how about a screen shot showing us what you saw in Wordsearch.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 2647
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2022 4:44 AM

deeded,

I think what you are looking for is called the Cited By tool. It is under tools. You can link it to your bible and it will follow where you are at. Give it a try and let me know if you have further questions. You can add your collections and run your searches from there. It is really doing a verse search on your library similar to the Xref tool in WS.

Here is a screen shot showing ever place DA Carson uses Mark 4.15. I have mine set up by collections which are easy to create.

Posts 57
depdad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2022 12:27 PM

The Cited By Tool isn't much different than using the Collections Tab under the Passage Guide. WordSearch made it much easier by automatically populating all the Commentaries (no matter the type) that mentioned the verse that you selected.

Posts 5999
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 22 2022 12:25 AM

depdad:

The Cited By Tool isn't much different than using the Collections Tab under the Passage Guide. WordSearch made it much easier by automatically populating all the Commentaries (no matter the type) that mentioned the verse that you selected.

Do you find the Passage Guide lacking in this respect?

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 6133
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 23 2022 1:54 PM

depdad:
Is there a way to create an option so that the Commentaries in your Passage Guide could do the same without having to scroll down to the Collections tab and go through the many steps to get the same information?

I don't understand the "many steps" that you refer to.

“The trouble is that everyone talks about reforming others and no one thinks about reforming himself.” St. Peter of Alcántara

Posts 36375
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 23 2022 2:11 PM

depdad:

The scrolling down is unnecessary -- simply drag and drop the Collections section heading bar to just below the Commentary section heading bar. I don't know what "many steps" you are referring.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 57
depdad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 23 2022 3:09 PM

SineNomine: Instead of the commentaries populating as they normally do, I'm requesting that the commentaries show any instance of the particular Scripture verse(s) that are being addressed. Now, you have to go to the Collections section and choose one of many options to end up with the same choices that WordSearch populated automatically under their Commentaries section.

Posts 36375
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 23 2022 3:56 PM

depdad:
Now, you have to go to the Collections section and choose one of many options to end up with the same choices that WordSearch populated automatically under their Commentaries section.

The options will be retained in both Commentaries (options) and collections (4 options) so you only need to select them once. I can see the Wordsearch method working when one has a limited number of commentaries, but I assure you with 4,450 commentaries what you describe would be my nightmare. But, please, add it to Search results for "interlinear" | Faithlife and encourage people to vote for it -- as an additional option not a replacement for the current commentary section.

Posts 5999
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2022 1:33 AM

Good grief!

What MJ says.

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 119
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2022 4:54 AM

I think you'll find that, if you set up Cited By so that commentaries appear at the top (drag your commentaries collection to the top), it will do exactly as you are asking for. See below. Cited By uses the verse that has the focus, so you'll only get commentaries that mention that particular verse (or a range of verses that include it). To avoid repeatedly setting it up, simply save it as a layout. As you can see from the screenshot below, it found 790 results in my library, so I certainly wouldn't want it to populate all of them immediately. By using the "kebab" menu on the right you can also set how you want results displayed or sorted. The other advantage of using the Cited By tool is that it'll also give you everything else in your library that references the particular verse. 

Screenshot 2022-02-24 121852

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS