The NET Bible Second Edition Notes

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 37
Rick Koelz | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 16 2022 8:45 AM

When The NET Bible First Edition was released it also included The NET Bible First Edition Notes. Now that Logos has released the Second Edition will there also be a Second Edition Notes available? I understand that the notes are included as "footnotes" within the Bible text. 

Posts 115
David Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 9:21 AM

I'm wondering that too.  If I would have known the 2nd edition notes were only in the text of the NET Bible, I wouldn't have purchased it.  I'd like to see that as a separate book.

Posts 2127
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 10:36 AM

Hi Gentlemen:

You aren't alone. See the later replies in this thread:  https://community.logos.com/forums/p/201850/1195105.aspx#1195105 

Win 10 [i7-4770; 32GB; SSD] | Andr 12 | Fire OS 7

CAPTCHA-"Tap 1/6 photos with Norwegian carpenters performing The Trondheim Hammer Dance"
ALT: "From distorted MP3, type # of times Bill Withers says 'I know' "

Posts 1902
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 12:35 PM

Robert M. Warren:

Hi Gentlemen:

You aren't alone. See the later replies in this thread:  https://community.logos.com/forums/p/201850/1195105.aspx#1195105 

I currently have the 1st edition notes open in a split screen and I haven't noticed new notes in the 2nd edition. (I believe there are fewer though.) That said I'd still have preferred the notes to be separate rather than footnotes.

Posts 3140
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 2:17 PM

The publisher (and maybe FL too...who knows) has completely missed the best value/greatest feature that *should* have been used with the NET Bible on the Logos platform: The ability (like with visual filters) to turn off the Study notes (SN), Text Critical notes (TC), or Translation notes (TN) separately.

For me, the SN are just north of worthless. The TN are valuable and the TC are like gold (because these types of notes aren't easily available in any other study bible of which I'm aware. I'd love to be able to turn on the TC and TN with various versions/translations...that would bring out the true value of the Logos platform.

As it is, we have little more functionality (and less readability) than a Kindle-type device. :-(

[And for what it's worth, I wrote the publisher with this suggestion and have never gotten a response.]

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 1635
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 3:38 PM

Doc B:

As it is, we have little more functionality (and less readability) than a Kindle-type device. :-(

I recognize this isn't what you're asking as a visual filter.

But your desire caused me to see what would happen with an inline search. Not bad! I chose 'TN OR TC' and it even color codes each. Of course, it's manual. SN is a little more iffy.

I normally never use inline search ... want to see the context.

Posts 3140
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 17 2022 7:24 AM

DMB:
see what would happen with an inline search

Good outside-the-box thinking!

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Posts 1589
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 17 2022 11:06 AM

DMB:

Doc B:

But your desire caused me to see what would happen with an inline search. Not bad! I chose 'TN OR TC' and it even color codes each. Of course, it's manual. SN is a little more iffy.

Could you expand a little on how your search and resource options were set up?  I've tried several combinations but have come up with zero hits every time.

Posts 1589
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 17 2022 11:14 AM

Rick Ausdahl:

DMB:

Doc B:

Could you expand a little on how your search and resource options were set up?  I've tried several combinations but have come up with zero hits every time.

Ooops!  Never mind.  Doing an inline search doesn't work for me, but doing a basic search does. 

Posts 122
Morgan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 17 2022 11:21 AM

Rick Ausdahl:

Inline search is done with the magnifying glass near the passage.Try doing a basic search of the NET rather than a bible search. If I remember correctly footnotes and cross references don't show up in a bible search.

For a visual filter I was able to do the following. Is this what you were looking for?

Posts 122
Morgan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 17 2022 11:31 AM

Here's a better Visual filter if you really want to differentiate the footnotes. Create a new highlighting palette as below:

And then apply it to a visual filter like this

You see the text-critical note 17 in verse 6, and many translation notes throughout. Verse 10 has a barely seen study note that the eye skips right over.

If you really wanted you could create a palette to insert text (TC or TN) before or after the footnote so you don't have to remember which color stands for which.

Posts 3140
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 8 2022 8:40 AM

The suggestions for VFs are very helpful. Now lets see if you can help me go one step further.

I'm stuck (I think) using the NET 1st ed notes for this, since the notes are a separate resource. (They combined the notes with the bible text in the NET 2nd edition so I don't know how to handle this there.)

I want to suppress the text in the red boxes, so only the TC and TN notes show. Can this be done?

Posts 122
Morgan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 8 2022 10:13 AM

Not from what I could muster. There is nothing in the resource that differentiates between the notes following tn or sn so doing a search for just the text following sn is not doable by my knowledge.

Posts 5187
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 11 2022 7:07 AM

Morgan:

Here's a better Visual filter if you really want to differentiate the footnotes. Create a new highlighting palette as below:

And then apply it to a visual filter like this

You see the text-critical note 17 in verse 6, and many translation notes throughout. Verse 10 has a barely seen study note that the eye skips right over.

If you really wanted you could create a palette to insert text (TC or TN) before or after the footnote so you don't have to remember which color stands for which.

I didn't even know you could do this... I love it.  Thank you

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS