Dear Faithlife esp. Sean, Phil, Donald ... If the survey indicated that Logos 10 may add history functions

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 36043
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 16 2022 5:18 PM

If you are seriously considering adding history functions to Logos 10, please add the following resources to Logos/Verbum so that the history function is useful.  Note that users from other traditions may want to add essentials I am unfamiliar with to the list.

• A History of Philosophy series by Frederick Coppleston, S.J. because in the West, philosophy and theology are closely interwined
  • Christian Spirituality series by McGinn, Meyendorff, LeClercq history of doctrine without practice is a weak implementation
  • Presence of God series by Bernard McGinn the other half of spirituality
  • The Story of Christianity series by Justo L. Gonzalez a series popular in the forums

The other series that I consider essential are already in Logos/Verbum:

• History of Dogma by Adolf von Harnack
  • The Reading and Preaching of the Scriptures in the Worship of the Christian Church by Hughes Oliphant Old
  • Library of Christian Worship by Robert Webber

With these seven series as a backbone, Faithlife would have the foundation of a great historical research tool. Leave any one of them out, there will be a significant hole in the skeleton. Note that at great personal effort, I have not insisted in Oriental Orthodox history.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 20
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2022 7:05 PM

Well said MJ Yes

Posts 1366
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2022 1:04 PM

I'll pass these suggestions along to the Acquisitions team (Gonzalez is already on their list). 

Posts 36043
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2022 1:57 PM

Thanks, Sean

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 6005
Simon’s Brother | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2022 2:28 PM

Totally agree with you MJ, these are must haves in Logos. 

MJ. Smith:

• A History of Philosophy series by Frederick Coppleston, S.J. because in the West, philosophy and theology are closely interwined
  • Christian Spirituality series by McGinn, Meyendorff, LeClercq history of doctrine without practice is a weak implementation
  • Presence of God series by Bernard McGinn the other half of spirituality
  • The Story of Christianity series by Justo L. Gonzalez a series popular in the forums

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS