Augustine Bible 2019 ESV-CE Question + Praise

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 460
chris b | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 3 2022 6:58 AM

https://www.logos.com/product/192293/the-augustine-bible

I
 wasn't really aware there was any affordable ESV's with Apocrypha. I have always liked Catholic editions of Bibles for including the apocryphal books. Thank you for putting this on your store.

I have a question. Who are the translators?

I'm guessing they are probably a separate committee. I wish Protestant translation committees would translate the apocrypha and include it as an addendum. I know why they don't, money and time concerns.

Posts 27986
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2022 3:21 PM

Chris:

I have a question. Who are the translators?

I'm guessing they are probably a separate committee.

The product page clarifies that it was not Crossway and not Protestant.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 36099
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2022 3:30 PM

Chris:
Who are the translators?

The deuterocanonical books of the Apocrypha are adapted from the Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyright Division of Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. All rights reserved".

Bible, Apocrypha (1957)

In response to the request of the General Convention of the Protestant Episcopal Church, October, 1952, the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. organized a committee of scholars to undertake revision of the English translation of the Apocrypha; and its publication was authorized by the General Board, NCCCUSA, December 12, 1952. The scholars accepting this assignment were Millar Burrows, Winkley Professor of Biblical Theology, Yale University; Henry J. Cadbury, Hollis Professor of Divinity, Harvard University; Clarence T. Craig, Dean and Professor of New Testament, Drew Theological Seminary; Floyd V. Filson, Dean and Professor of New Testament Literature and History, McCormick Theological Seminary; Frederick C. Grant, Professor of Biblical Theology, Union Theological Seminary; Bruce M. Metzger, Professor of New Testament, Princeton Theological Seminary; Robert H. Pfeiffer, Hancock Professor of Hebrew and other Oriental Languages, Harvard University; Allen P. Wikgren, Professor of New Testament, University of Chicago; and Luther A. Weigle, Sterling Professor of Religious Education and Dean of the Divinity School, Emeritus, Yale University, who was appointed chairman of the Committee. A great loss was sustained in the death, August 20, 1953, of Dean Craig. In 1954, J. Carter Swaim, Professor of New Testament at Western Theological Seminary, Pittsburgh, became Executive Director, Department of the English Bible, in the Division of Christian Education, NCCCUSA, and was added to the membership of the Committee. Roy G. Ross, General Secretary of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A., and Paul C. Payne, Chairman, and Gerald E. Knoff, Executive Secretary, of its Division of Christian Education, have been members of the Committee ex officio.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 36099
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2022 3:36 PM

Dave Hooton:
and not Protestant.

Where did you find this on the product page - it may need to be reported as an error.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27986
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2022 3:39 PM

It was my assumption.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 6063
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2022 6:03 PM

Tobit in the ESVCE is a different translation than is the one in the Protestant ESV.

"God commands you to pray, but He forbids you to worry." - The Curé d'Ars.

Posts 36099
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 4 2022 6:28 PM

SineNomine:

Tobit in the ESVCE is a different translation than is the one in the Protestant ESV.

Interesting ... but not enough to get me to track it down right now.

Posts 6063
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 5 2022 11:07 AM

MJ. Smith:

SineNomine:

Interesting ... but not enough to get me to track it down right now.

Further reading: https://catholicbiblestudent.com/2018/03/review-esv-catholic-edition-bible-esvce.html

"God commands you to pray, but He forbids you to worry." - The Curé d'Ars.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS