"SEARCH WITHIN" limits

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 62
Rob Wilson | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 18 2022 6:54 AM

Trying to Find Instances of Both of 2 Hebrew Lemmas WITHIN a Chapter of the Bible.  Trying to find instances of where Both words for "Firstfruit(s)" occur in a fairly large proximity.

I don't think Logos has such a feature.  Please advise ... (Thanks!)

Example Search Queries:

lemma:רֵאשִׁית WITHIN CHAPTER lemma:בִּכּוּרִים

lemma:רֵאשִׁית WITHIN 1000 WORDS lemma:בִּכּוּרִים

Posts 463
John Connell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2022 8:30 AM

You might try your search with your (lemma1 AND lemma2) WITHIN {Milestone <Acts 1:1-26>} where you put the Range you want to search where the Acts reference is.

I'm new to searching so I expect you will get better answers pretty soon.

-john

And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers (Mal 4:6a)

Posts 3072
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2022 8:57 AM

Bible and Morph searches can only compare terms within the same verse. If you want to deal with things at a chapter level, then you will want to do a Basic search instead.

This search should do the trick: <Lemma = lbs/he/רֵאשִׁית> AND <Lemma = lbs/he/בִּכּוּרִים>

Or use WITHIN 1000 WORDS instead of AND if you want a narrower proximity than the entire chapter.

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 27972
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2022 10:34 AM

John Connell:
You might try your search with your (lemma1 AND lemma2) WITHIN {Milestone <Acts 1:1-26>} where you put the Range you want to search

In most searches you will specify Proximity and Range.

• Proximity specifies how close you want the terms to be, usually specified as a number of Words e.g. (lemma1 WITHIN 50 WORDS lemma2)
    • AND says I don't care how far apart they are
  • Range is what you stated as it restricts the search to certain parts of the resource rather than All Passages.

But there are implied Boundaries which restrict results to certain textual limits:

• For Bible & Morph Search, the results have to be in the same Verse
  • For Basic Search, the results have to be in the same Article, where Article = Chapter for most Bibles.
  • For Clause Search, the results have to be in the same Clause
  • For Morph Query, you can actually select the number of Verses (1 or more)

A Proximity of 1000 WORDS for a Bible Search does not make much sense as the results will always be restricted by the actual number of words in a given Verse. So It makes more sense to use that in a Basic Search of a bible.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS