For 40,000 denominations it only takes 16 issues ...

Page 6 of 6 (110 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6
This post has 109 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1481
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2022 11:17 AM

I think, in a nutshell, the issue is not the age of the term, but in what Christ intended His ekklesia to be.

WIN 11 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 9171
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2022 11:26 AM

David Wanat:

I think, in a nutshell, the issue is not the age of the term, but in what Christ intended His ekklesia to be.

Amen!

Posts 1262
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2022 2:02 PM

Since there were Greeks long before Matthew and Acts... then of course there were "ekklesia" which means "an assembly". Also, there is a Hebrew word for "assembly" if I recall...which is "gahal". English words like "called out", "assembly" and such was not "created" by Jesus or the apostles... but Jesus and the apostles used them.

"I think, in a nutshell, the issue is not the age of the term, but in what Christ intended His ekklesia to be."  To this statement I say Amen!

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Barney Fife is my hero!

Posts 2760
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2022 4:24 PM

David Wanat:
in what Christ intended His ekklesia to be.

Agreed!

It is TOO easy to impose our understanding of a word upon the context.

Years ago, I was in a congregation that was clarifying roles of leaders, servants, and gathering. In the context of church discipline, COULD the word assembly (MT 18:17) refer to the leadership community (as was the Sanhedrin) or must it refer to a worship gathering of all assembled believers, or could it refer to the assembled "membership" of the congregation.

As it relates to this thread, MJ is creating a taxonomy of doctrine and "assemblies" that hold to them. Knowing various uses of "assembly" (various ecclesiologies) will shape that research.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1033
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2022 6:31 AM

MJ. Smith:
I got to wondering how many theological positions on how many issues exist to create the > 40,000 estimated denominations. Yes, I know that mathematically that a mere 16 yes/no positions is sufficient to reach 40,000 but I also that model is lousy for this case.  Has anyone seen any articles/textbooks that try to estimate how many contentious issues there are in theology? Or the statistical possibility of being correct on all issues?

Very interesting, and not trying to sidetrack the post, there is one variable that does not seem to be studied much:

"Ever since H. Richard Niebuhr’s book The Social Sources of Denominationalism (1929) there has been evidence that religious affiliation and class status are somehow connected."

Taken from: 

https://divinity.uchicago.edu/sightings/articles/religion-class-and-denominationalism-us-joerg-rieger 

Another article seems to relate socioeconomic variables to denominationalism:

https://classroom.synonym.com/effect-absenteeism-students-gpa-6662.html 

And one article at a more macro level looks at social status with respect to to religion:

https://revisesociology.com/2018/10/03/the-relationship-between-religion-and-social-class/ 

Not sure if there are L9 resources that deepen the issue.

Posts 36312
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2022 12:49 PM

I would have thought Durkheim rather than Niebuhr but that may reflect when I was educated. Thanks for the reminder.

Sociology of Religion Readings List // Graduate Studies// Comprehensive Exam // Center for the Study of Religion and Society // University of Notre Dame

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2
John David Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2022 8:56 AM

A denomination and a theological position are not equivalent concepts.  I know many denominations with varied theologies.  SBC for one but there are others.  It depends on how tightly bound they are structurally but congregational style systems will have less uniformity.

There are also denominations that exist with the same theology.  They just haven't joined together.   So it's not as straightforward or simple as might be thought.

Posts 1636
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2022 9:10 AM

John David Wright:
A denomination and a theological position are not equivalent concepts. 

Quite true.  My family and their not-a-denomination has the exact same theology as my not-a-denomination.  But different name, social tradition, and historical leadership. And thus neither can fellowship.

Posts 1262
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2022 10:51 AM

There used to be a term "ladder back logic"....  It meant that one could use "If Then Else" statements to program a lot of machinery. And it worked quite well for years...

The same "ladder back logic" can be used to determine how many denominations... for example.....

If "belief in Jesus" --> Then.... If "belief Jesus Son of God" --> Then.... Etc... and Etc...

Else .....                                   Else....

And I believe one could use how a church believed in whatever doctrine to categorize it... and lump together those of the same belief... 

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Barney Fife is my hero!

Posts 1187
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 8 2022 11:07 AM

DMB:

John David Wright:
A denomination and a theological position are not equivalent concepts. 

Quite true.  My family and their not-a-denomination has the exact same theology as my not-a-denomination.  But different name, social tradition, and historical leadership. And thus neither can fellowship.

Agreed.  We can be divided by many more things than theology. We can also ignore theological differences - sometimes even rather significant ones - when we find it inconvenient to acknowledge them.

Page 6 of 6 (110 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | RSS