Resources on Faith

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 956
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 23 2022 8:27 AM

I am looking for resources on the topic of faith. Particularly I am interested in the role of faith in the believer and the impact of his/her faith upon other areas of life. How does faith impact the prayer life, relationships etc. How to grow ones faith, etc. Do you have any recommendations?

Posts 36311
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2022 10:14 PM

bump for attention 3

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 463
John Connell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 27 2022 12:54 PM

Do you like A. W. Pink? I have enjoyed several of his books. I haven't read this, but will not that you have put it on my radar.

https://www.logos.com/product/8451/the-life-of-faith

Here are the contents:

Introduction
1. The Design of the Atonement
2. The Advent of the Spirit
3. The Spirit Assuring
4. The Necessity of Spiritual Growth
5. The Scriptures and Prayer
6. The Ten Commandments
7. The Restoration of David
8. Elisha’s Testing
9. Christian Submission
10. Grace Preparing for Glory

-john

And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers (Mal 4:6a)

Posts 956
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 27 2022 7:04 PM

Thanks John. Yes I do like A. W. Pink. I have this resource in my library. I will check it out. 

Posts 1764
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 27 2022 11:02 PM

Michael Kinch:
I am looking for resources on the topic of faith. Particularly I am interested in the role of faith in the believer and the impact of his/her faith upon other areas of life. How does faith impact the prayer life, relationships etc. How to grow ones faith, etc. Do you have any recommendations?

Hi Michael. Faith is a big topic. Part of the issue is that the word faith means different things to different people, so you might want to start by expanding your understanding of what faith is.

One way to start in Logos would be a Bible Word Study (Guides menu) on the word faith. What are the various Hebrew and Greek words, and what do they mean? Trust? Faithfulness? Reliance? Other? If you have any resources that define the words (dictionaries, lexicons), or discuss the topic, this would point to those articles, books, and Bible passages.

For the verses of interest, you could check out your commentaries. For example, you might see what they have to say about Romans 10:9-15 as the faith we proclaim, and how it arises. Or you might find passages on what Jesus says about faith in the Gospels.

You might want to explore the Reformation arguments on justification by faith. Or you might want to read some current scholarship such as Michael Bates defining faith not as believing a set of facts but as giving allegiance to our Lord. Or you might want to explore the ancient wisdom of Job on how to voice your faith when everything you believed falls apart. Faith might be more about who we depend on than what we expect.

Hope that helps.

Posts 956
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 28 2022 7:08 AM

Thanks Allen. Some good advice there.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS