Galatians

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 6
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 24 2022 5:50 AM

In Galatians 4:21-31, Paul talks about Hagar and Sarah in an allegorical style that takes the Scripture and presupposition that he bases it on (vs 27) and uses it completely out of context. This sort of interpretation is the type that we are generally taught to avoid. Is Paul using the interpretation principles of those he is refuting against them? Is he able to do this sort of thing because of his position as an apostle of Christ, or is it something other than this? How can I study this in Logos? I have used the factbook and some commentaries. 

Posts 236
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2022 6:58 AM

Try the following search:

([field heading,largetext,surface]  <Gal4>) AFTER 88 WORDS ([field heading,largetext] hermeneutics,exegesis,allegory,interpretation)

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Posts 1307
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2022 7:04 AM

I'm surprised after using the Facebook, and some commentaries, you didn't get your answer pretty quick.  Clue: Paul is jewish.  Clue: later version of a Pesher.

Posts 6
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2022 10:14 AM

DMB I am not familiar with the Pesher. 

Posts 2915
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2022 10:53 AM

Try the search term "allegor* NEAR hagar", then focus on resources on hermeneutics and theological/biblical interpretation.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Seminary Student (VIU).
Christian Debate Forum --- Auferstanden! Blog

Posts 35825
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2022 12:47 PM

Christian Alexander:
This sort of interpretation is the type that we are generally taught to avoid. Is Paul using the interpretation principles of those he is refuting against them?

He is able to do this because it is traditional in his time period. He wasn't living after the Englightenment. Cherry, Shai. Torah through Time: Understanding Bible Commentary from the Rabbinic Period to Modern Times. Philadelphia: The Jewish Publication Society, 2007. is a very readable, enjoyable introduction to Jewish scripture interpretation. Simonetti, Manlio. Biblical Interpretation in the Early Church: An Historical Introduction to Patristic Exegesis. Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1994. will get you into Bile interpretation in the early church.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3429
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2022 1:01 PM

MJ. Smith:

Christian Alexander:
This sort of interpretation is the type that we are generally taught to avoid. Is Paul using the interpretation principles of those he is refuting against them?

He is able to do this because it is traditional in his time period. He wasn't living after the Englightenment. Cherry, Shai. Torah through Time: Understanding Bible Commentary from the Rabbinic Period to Modern Times. Philadelphia: The Jewish Publication Society, 2007. is a very readable, enjoyable introduction to Jewish scripture interpretation. Simonetti, Manlio. Biblical Interpretation in the Early Church: An Historical Introduction to Patristic Exegesis. Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1994. will get you into Bile interpretation in the early church.

MJ, you are too kind offering these two texts which will probably discuss his question in general. I think agreeing with Denise, that at his level he should review what the major commentaries have to say on the issue. A simple basic search on Hagar, Sarah in commentaries covering Galatians should be sufficient to flesh out the major points important to this topic.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 35825
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2022 1:15 PM

Beloved Amodeo:
you are too kind offering these two texts which will probably discuss his question in general.

At least I didn't suggest all 7 volumes of Old, Hughes Oliphant. The Biblical Period. Vol. 1. The Reading and Preaching of the Scriptures in the Worship of the Christian Church. Grand Rapids, MI; Cambridge, U.K.: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1998. which I truly recommend. My teaching gene gravitates to the root of the question rather than the surface.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5972
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2022 5:59 PM

Christian Alexander:
How can I study this in Logos? I have used the factbook and some commentaries.

Research on "typological exegesis" (and eventually related terms) might help you. I grabbed that term from a commentary's remarks on this specific text, but the term itself occurs many times in my library, and for good reason.

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & save others time. Thanks!

Posts 645
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2022 9:50 PM

he following book (Logos Resource) has a longish section dealing this this passage by Paul in Galatians.

Link to the section in the resource.

https://ref.ly/logosres/chsscrptrlttrpl?ref=Page.p+112&off=973 

Link to the resource on Logos.com

Posts 1426
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2022 9:19 PM

See. A. B. Caneday, “Covenant Lineage Allegorically Prefigured: ‘Which Things Are Written Allegorically’ (Galatians 4:21–31),” ed. Stephen J. Wellum, Southern Baptist Journal of Theology Volume 14, no. 3 (2010): 50-77.

In Logos :) 

Posts 627
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2022 5:37 AM

Christian Alexander:

In Galatians 4:21-31, Paul talks about Hagar and Sarah in an allegorical style that takes the Scripture and presupposition that he bases it on (vs 27) and uses it completely out of context. This sort of interpretation is the type that we are generally taught to avoid. Is Paul using the interpretation principles of those he is refuting against them? Is he able to do this sort of thing because of his position as an apostle of Christ, or is it something other than this? How can I study this in Logos? I have used the factbook and some commentaries. 

In my view, Paul was citing God-breathed Scripture (Second Timothy 3:16, theopneustos) in the process of writing God-breathed Scripture. Since the Holy Spirit had governed the OT passage and was also governing Paul's writings, Paul's usage is never incorrect, in spite of modern criticisms and theories. We clearly don't have the same freedom. What's more, Paul's use of the Old Testament (and Christ's as well, obviously) was in line with the true meaning of those passages. Paul uses "allegorical" in v. 24 as "illustration," not "mythological." That is, The Sarah/Hagar account is (as Romans 15:4 says) for our instruction by way of example. 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS