How does off-line use interact with on-line use?

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 27978
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2022 1:35 AM

Maria Brown:

This would explain why the 3rd paragraph in the "paragraph test" gets saved, but the 3rd phrase in the "sentence test" gets lost. In the "sentence test," Sync decides I'm editing the sentence, not merely inserting more information.

Start by posting and describing all the stages of editing the "sentence test" so we see the 3rd phrase. You can't to explain something like this over the phone!  Faithlife may join in here.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 27978
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2022 2:11 AM

Ronald Quick:

I do have Logos on old desktop that I will occasionally open up to look up verses, read, etc., but my primary use is on my new laptop that has not been connected to the Internet in almost 6 months. I do 100% of study on my laptop.  

I haven't connected Logos to the internet because I don't know what will happen to the information on my laptop.  Will I lose my notes, highlights, layouts, reading plans, etc. from my laptop?

Even if the old desktop is connected to the internet it will not have access to the serious work done on your laptop. The main overlap would be with layouts, so the last thing to do is update your study layouts on the laptop and then connect it to the internet.  You will not lose the work you have done on the laptop.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 122
Maria | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2022 4:02 AM

Dave Hooton:

Start by posting and describing all the stages of editing the "sentence test" so we see the 3rd phrase. You can't to explain something like this over the phone!  Faithlife may join in here.

Thank you, Dave, for helping with this! I decided to take a screenshot of my phone and email it to myself to document the 3rd phrase that always gets deleted. Here's what my phone looked like. At this point, I had already added the 2nd and 4th phrase on my laptop, but my laptop was still offline. Everything looked as expected. 

Immediately after I took this phone screenshot, I went and turned on my laptop's wife, and waited for things to sync. The final screenshot of my laptop below is what happened after everything synced.

I also verified that my phone, using Logos web, after the final sync, does match exactly what my laptop shows...no 3rd phrase. It matches exactly what shows on my laptop here.

So, if a full paragraph is added, it gets saved. But, if a phrase is inserted in a sentence, it gets lost. (Although there could be other variables in play here that I'm not aware of.)

Thank you for any thoughts you have, Dave!

Testing

Posts 27978
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2022 9:41 PM

Maria Brown:
So, if a full paragraph is added, it gets saved. But, if a phrase is inserted in a sentence, it gets lost. (Although there could be other variables in play here that I'm not aware of.)

I tried a similar experiment in the Notes portion of a Clipping and lost all the offline updates i.e. it retained the online updates from two devices. The main difference is that

• my first text was two complete (period terminated) sentences.
  • the changes were complete sentences inserted between the first two above.

Lesson: If working a document between two devices ensure that sync is complete on both before making changes!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 27978
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2022 12:19 AM

Dave Hooton:
I tried a similar experiment in the Notes portion of a Clipping and lost all the offline updates i

I spoke too soon, because I found a duplicate clipping with the "missing" offline updates neatly inserted between the original online sentences!

The Lesson remains however.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 122
Maria | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2022 6:29 AM

Now that is awesome!

And it lends credence to SinNomine's theory of a basic deletion-avoidance mechanism that operates to save anything it recognizes as added material.

It's been encouraging to realize how little information has actually been lost in these experiments.

It still feels risky to mix up online work and offline work, but I think I have a better understanding of what will happen if I do.

When I need to mix offline and online work in the future, I'll stick to creating whole new paragraphs, and stay away from editing original paragraphs. (Although it does look like I might be safe if I'm creating complete, period terminated sentences instead of adding phrases. But, I'll play safe, and stick to completely new paragraphs!)

Testing

Posts 84
David Betts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2022 7:29 AM

Over the years I've 'lost' some important notes / lessons, some of which could never be reconstructed. I would like to offer a different perspective. If something is truly important, don't rely on something outside - keep it on one device, and when going mobile, take a copy with you. If necessary DATE each version, for example as: 20220409.0800.7.U [2022=Y;04=M;09=Date;0800=tiime of day;7=day of week; U=USA location. OR specify location as C=City etc.Then the Name of lesson. This puts lessons in date order if desired; you may want a different method. This makes  every date/time the same length and order.

Example:

20220202.2020.3.L Exploring The Whole Counsel of Yah [if your OS allows spaces in titles.

20220409.0830.7.S Exploring The Whole Counsel of Yah

Experiment with your own 'code' if desired. you may need to 1) learn 24 hour clock 2) learn days of week as numbers 3) keep track of location code. I once had S for spokane, but then had to use s for 'street name.' This may be more effort than you wish, or all this not important for you.  YMMV.

If this is too much work, consider how much coding is needed for various changes we desire for Logos to make for us. Bottom line, if syncing caused problems, DIY may be one solution.

My 2 Shekels .. Shalom !

Posts 122
Maria | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2022 9:15 AM

Thank you, David!

This is logical, solid advice. 

Testing

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS