Looking for a book - a survey of texts for studying early church

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 494
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 24 2022 11:28 AM

I am looking for something similar to the following two references, except aimed at study of the church fathers:

Ancient Texts for the Study of the Hebrew Bible: A Guide to the Background Literature

Ancient Texts for New Testament Studies: A Guide to the Background Literature

Any suggestions?

Posts 494
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2022 1:47 PM

Kenneth Neighoff:

Thanks, Kenneth, but I'm not sure this is comparable to the two books I referenced. Those two are probably more literature surveys, whereas from the TOC of the book you linked it looks like the author zeros in on some of the major church fathers.

Posts 36091
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2022 2:45 PM

more specialized but consider:

• Johnson, Lawrence J. Worship in the Early Church: An Anthology of Historical Sources. Vol. 1. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2009.
  • Sweis, Khaldoun A., and Chad V. Meister, eds. Christian Apologetics: An Anthology of Primary Sources. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2012.
  • Donaldson, James. A Critical History of Christian Literature and Doctrine from the Death of the Apostles to the Nicene Council. Vol. I–III. London: Macmillan and Co., 1864–1866.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1447
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2022 3:46 PM

Jordan Litchfield:

I am looking for something similar to the following two references, except aimed at study of the church fathers:

Ancient Texts for the Study of the Hebrew Bible: A Guide to the Background Literature

Ancient Texts for New Testament Studies: A Guide to the Background Literature

Any suggestions?

I'd think you need to be a bit more specific.  For example, your NT-example above, beginning after chap4, overlaps the church fathers almost completely (Mishnah/Talmud, Targums, and so forth).

If alternatively, you were wanting background, for example on Clement (eg the resurrection of the phoenix), I'm not sure of a single source; they're typically in the commentaries on the fathers.

Posts 6063
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2022 5:31 PM

Jordan Litchfield:
Any suggestions?

Quasten's four volume Patrology or Drobner's The Fathers of the Church might well be what you're looking for. I only wish I could acquire them electronically from Faithlife.

"God commands you to pray, but He forbids you to worry." - The Curé d'Ars.

Posts 494
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2022 7:49 AM

Thanks, everyone!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS