Logos Resources on External Drive

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 30
Jacob Cerone | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 31 2022 9:42 AM

Is it possible to have the Logos application on my laptop hard drive but the Logos4 resources file (in Library Support on my Mac) on an external USB flash drive. Although I have a SSD 256GB drive, the drive is not enough to hold my Logos library. No, taking media (images, video, music) off my internal drive is not an option. I have two things which consume hd space on this computer: Zotero and Logos.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Posts 30
Jacob Cerone | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2022 9:46 AM

For further background, the problem is that, though I have 20–40GB of free space, every time Logos needs to index, it requires around 20–40GB of free, temporary space. I have to delete or temporarily transfer files off the computer and then bring them back after the index is successful. Last time I did this, I did not realize the file transfer failed and I lost significant files.

Posts 30649
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2022 10:01 AM

It is not supported, nor recommended, but here is the wiki link:https://wiki.logos.com/Install_in_different_folder_or_drive#macOS 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 27974
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2022 10:19 PM

Jacob Cerone:
Is it possible to have the Logos application on my laptop hard drive but the Logos4 resources file (in Library Support on my Mac) on an external USB flash drive.

Be aware that Logos searches and indexing will slow noticeably, and resources in your layout could respond slowly (especially RI's). An external SSD would be better and a 1 TB internal SSD even better!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 30649
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2022 3:45 AM

Dave Hooton:

a 1 TB internal SSD even better!

True! However, since 2016, Mac laptops have non replaceable SSD’s. Even <If> the user’s SSD is replaceable, it might be better to replace the whole device. 

Posts 3337
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2022 6:51 AM

I have logos and verbum both on 4 tb external HD with no loss on performance - have had this setup for years.

Posts 30649
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2022 6:55 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:
with no loss on performance

Your performance might be acceptable to you, but the best performance will still be on an internal drive with a fast SSD. 

Posts 3337
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2022 7:26 AM

JT (alabama24):

Whyndell Grizzard:
with no loss on performance

Your performance might be acceptable to you, but the best performance will still be on an internal drive with a fast SSD. 

I believe performance will have a lot to do with operating equipment- both programs are operating no difference that when they were on my 1tb internal drive

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS