Looking for commentary info

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 14
Old Bonsai | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 3 2022 1:16 PM

Hi, I'm a layperson who got Logos to do deeper Bible study. Yesterday, I searched & searched for non-Calvinistic Bible commentaries and could not decide on one I liked.  I continue to search the forums & found useful info but still wanted to ask.

Can anyone recommend a good, technical/critical verse by verse commentary that does not have very much Calvinist influence? The kind of commentary I dream of is:

• Detailed analysis of the original languages
  • Comprehensive and detailed exegesis
  • Explanation of varying interpretations
  • Historical, cultural and audience info
  • Leans conservative theologically

(I know I don't ask for much, right?)

Or, can anyone recommend a resource that gives the theological stance of commentaries, etc? I don't know of any such Faithlife resource.

* Nothing against individual Calvinists, my best friend is one Cool Thanks to anyone who can help!

Posts 9842
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 3 2022 3:18 PM

Welcome to the forums Old Bonsai. By the way, I love your name for bonsai are beautiful and have always been an interest of mine.

Old Bonsai:
can anyone recommend a resource that gives the theological stance of commentaries

For many years I have tagged all of my commentaries by their theological background but more recently Faithlife has added a feature that should help.

One of the best ways to do this is through the Exegetical Guide which lists the denominational background of the authors. This is something Faithlife has been working on for some time. I'm not sure whether they have finished categorizing them all but most seem to be there. They will be arranged by the prioritized level you assigned to them.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 14
Old Bonsai | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 4 2022 2:26 PM

Another tree hugger, lol! (j/k) I used to do bonsai when I had a back yard, I loved it too!

This is so helpful, I never knew that function existed! I have a lot to learn about this program still, but I love it so far

TYVM! Star

Posts 284
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 4 2022 6:28 PM

The Word Biblical Commentary series does several of those on your list and is not written from an exclusively Reformed view.  However, I would not say that it leans conservative. More moderate, evangelical for many of the volumes.

Posts 14
Old Bonsai | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2022 3:50 PM

Good to know, thank you!

Posts 2953
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 7 2022 7:53 PM

The New International Commentary has some non-Calvinist volumes.  Dr. John Oswalt's 2 volumes on Isaiah are a great example. Also, Dr. Gareth Lee Cockerill on Hebrews,   

A better idea is to look for outstanding non-Calvinist scholars in various sets.  For example, writers like Ben Witherington, Craig S. Keener, William Willimon, Bill Arnold, M. Robert Mulholland, Maxie Dunnam, Thomas Oden, etc.  You will find many such non-Calvinist writers in many Commentary sets available in Logos.

On the other hand, though I am Wesleyan, I very much enjoy reading some Calvinist scholars also.  I am more concerned about the writer having solid scholarship, a heart for God, and a love for God's Word.  If the writer's theology differs somewhat from my own, I can take what is good and ignore the rest.  I can think for myself.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 9172
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 8 2022 6:48 AM

Mike Childs:

I can think for myself.

Well put 👍😁👌

Posts 509
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 8 2022 7:00 AM

I recommend Anchor if you can catch it on sale. I wrote three posts about it here: https://brianwdavidson.com/2022/04/05/multiple-posts-anchor-yale-bible-commentary-in-logos/

WBC would be more right leaning, though. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS