Layouts and Logos Performance

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 956
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 5 2022 7:45 AM

I am wondering if the number of layouts that we have will have an effect on the performance of Logos. Will it slow down the program or impact indexing? I have a number of layouts that I have built over the years that I have used Logos and am considering working through them to delete some of them. I am wondering if this will really accomplish anything other than to make it easier to find a specific layout. What are your thoughts?

Posts 3148
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2022 8:25 AM

I'm following this with interest. A few years ago, I was told by a FL rep that things like layouts and collections did indeed slow down Logos performance.  Then a couple years later, a different FL rep said no, they wouldn't.

I'm hoping to get a final answer, Regis. :-)

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 30852
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2022 8:33 AM

I don't have an answer, just a guess.

I can't imagine that it would impact indexing. As for slowing down the program, I think the answer is "it depends." The app doesn't load EVERY layout when you open it up. It would make sense that having hundreds of layouts will slow down the layout selector when you are using that feature of the app. 

What WILL have an impact upon the program performance is the actual layout you are using at the time. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 6122
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2022 11:01 AM

Doc B:
I'm following this with interest. A few years ago, I was told by a FL rep that things like layouts and collections did indeed slow down Logos performance.  Then a couple years later, a different FL rep said no, they wouldn't.

Complex Collections made using the old Collection-building rules did. New ones, no.

“The trouble is that everyone talks about reforming others and no one thinks about reforming himself.” St. Peter of Alcántara

Posts 28011
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2022 6:02 PM

Michael Kinch:
I have a number of layouts that I have built over the years that I have used Logos and am considering working through them to delete some of them. I am wondering if this will really accomplish anything other than to make it easier to find a specific layout.

Begin to delete layouts from the LHS (left side of the menu). Then delete old layout instances from the RHS where date is indicated. Logos maintains up to 10 Application Closed which can represent any named layout and Snapshots represent the layout before you loaded a new one. This will slightly improve efficiency whilst making it easier to find a specific layout!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS