Finding a word in a certain position in a sentence

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1342
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 8 2022 10:18 PM

Is it possible to use a Morph Query to find a word (or type of word) in a certain position in the sentence?

For example, suppose I want δέ to be the third word, I don't care what occurs as the first and second word.

I know this can be done with a Syntax search, but setting these up can be finicky, I am hoping that other types of searches allow this.

Do Bible or Morphological searches allow searching for a word in a particular position in a verse?

Posts 3262
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2022 12:01 PM

I'm not sure there's a way to find an absolute position in a verse rather than a relative position. You can find the places where δέ has at least two words before it, but I can't think of a way to find where it has exactly two words before it.

The way I'd solve this is in a spreadsheet. I find 50 occurrences in the SBL GNT where δέ is in the third position in the verse.

Posts 3262
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2022 1:03 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
I can't think of a way to find where it has exactly two words before it.

I figured it out.

Posts 27978
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2022 2:57 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
I figured it out.

I don't fully understand it, but I used Agree on None for the 4 Words instead of using Part of Speech.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 3536
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2022 5:15 PM

Dave Hooton:
I don't fully understand it, but I used Agree on None for the 4 Words instead of using Part of Speech.
Dave, I don't understand how you set that up. Would you provide a screenshot?

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 3262
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2022 6:12 PM

Beloved Amodeo:
Would you provide a screenshot?

I think this is what he did:

While it works in this case, I wouldn't trust it to work in all cases.

Posts 3536
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2022 6:19 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Beloved Amodeo:
Would you provide a screenshot?

I think this is what he did:

While it works in this case, I wouldn't trust it to work in all cases.

Thank you, Phil! Would I be out of place to ask why it should not be trusted to apply globally?

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 3262
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2022 6:38 PM

Beloved Amodeo:
Would I be out of place to ask why it should not be trusted to apply globally?

Certainly not.

Like Dave, I'm not sure I fully understand what "Agree on None" means and does. So I can't be confident that it won't have unintended effects in other situations. I know it works here, since it produces the same 50 results as the other approach.

I'll see if I can get clarity on the precise meaning and function of "Agree on None" and report back.

Posts 3536
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2022 6:41 PM

Perfect! Thanks

Posts 748
Andreas Roemer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 10 2022 12:08 AM

Hi,

I am a user from Germany and tried to recreate that once. I couldn't because I didn't even get to the input options for the lemmas. Where in logos does this go? Thanks for the helpful tip and God bless you
Andreas

Posts 36070
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 10 2022 12:35 AM

Search --> Morph -->Query -->Create morph query document

Err 1

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 748
Andreas Roemer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 10 2022 12:39 AM

Thanks alot. That helped me a lot.
Best regards

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS