Hello i'm not so educated and just wondering

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 34 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 19
josiah grace | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 14 2022 3:08 PM

About which book will help me know more about Gospel, Grace, Mercy -trust-faith-belief-. I heard the gospel was born again, but never understood it that well. and just trying to understand god so i can tell myself the gospel everyday and have a better intimacy with the lord. I've been a christian for 1 year and 4 months, but have been slowly but surly broken off away from the world leading up to this year and found logos bible software, But tried the free options, but couldn't really follow or understand them well. Thank you. I just need someone mature in the faith that would help me understand better. thank you brothers and sisters. 

Logos 7 Anglican Starter Legacy Library

would help me understand god better, and the gospel such as Grace things like -trust-faith-belief-

Posts 1930
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 14 2022 4:55 PM

Welcome to the Logos Bible software and the forums to support it. Many of us have found Logos to be quite helpful for much of what you ask.

But many of us have found many different answers to that, and so specific answers would be against the forum guidelines. So I will only say that regular reading the Bible is a quite useful discipline, and in my opinion, this is best done as part of a worshipping community.

If you have any technical questions about the software, many will help you here. And if you need a bit of information about the various resources, you may find help here. But all you ask pushes what we can say while welcoming all the diverse users here.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 2583
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 14 2022 5:03 PM

Ken has good thoughts: read your Bible and participate in a worship community. 

Favorites will vary, but I suggest starting with these books:

1. John 

2. Romans 

3. Psalms 

Posts 19
josiah grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 14 2022 7:33 PM

I was just trying to find some way to understand simply if there is a book in the collection i bought would help answer most of my questions, that explains gods attributes not like a w towzer - knowledge of the holy even though i did read some its over my head but i know it probably is cherished by many. I just like to learn more about gods grace, and mercy, redemption, justification. Something that help a simple man like myself. I've been alone for the most part and don't have that church family to go to. i thank you gaolu, I wlll consider that most heartedly. I felt being led to reading romans, and im in the gospels right now trying to understand that so hopefully some commentaries i got by t w wright will help. I do like word for word, verse for verse. like

Commentary Critical & Explanatory on the Whole Bible Kindle Edition

by Robert Jamieson (Author), A.R. Fausset (Author), David Brown

B
ut something that could be more simplified for me. 
Posts 19716
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 14 2022 7:52 PM

The Bible is definitely the place to start reading. And reading it in a community of fellow believers/seekers/worshipers is good advice.

Other good books for beginner Christians are:

Basic Christianity by John Stott

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

Also pray, in whatever way you know how at this point in your journey. Prayer in its simplest understanding is spending time with the Lord, and that is how you grow in intimacy with him.

Posts 430
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 14 2022 10:49 PM

This series of short, well-written books on important topics of the Christian faith would be worth taking a look at:

Crucial Questions Series (20 vols.) | Logos Bible Software

Hope this helps!

Posts 611
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 15 2022 3:50 AM

As a new Christian, I accidentally discovered a fantastic series by Max Anders called the "What You Need to Know About..." series. I don't think it's in Logos, although some Max Anders resources, such as 30 Days to Understanding What Christians Believe | Logos Bible Software is and I can MOST HIGHLY RECOMMEND anything he does.

The "WYNTNA" series was fantastic - essentially it was a Systematic Theology for new Christians and covered all the main topics of what we believe: God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, the Bible, salvation, spiritual warfare, prophecy, defending the faith, the Church, and spiritual growth. It was awesome and helped me to get in to the Scriptures, which as others have said, is such an important factor in our growth as Christ followers.

Happy Easter and blessings on you as you grown in Him! 

Posts 2583
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 15 2022 6:09 AM

josiah grace:
Logos 7 Anglican Starter Legacy Library

Your library already has some great resources.

1. Bible: ESV

2. Study: Consider the DIY Bible study course.

3. Commentary: New Testament / Old Testament for Everyone Series / Faithlife Bible Study Notes

4. Introduction: The Bible Guide

5. Theology: Concise Theology - Packer

6. Prayer: The Book of Common Prayer 1979

Your library is loaded with many great books!

Posts 5999
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 15 2022 8:20 AM

Josiah

You have been given good experiential advice above.

Mine would be to set aside a regular time for reading.

Find the 'New Testament for Everyone' series.

Start at the beginning of any Gospel in the series.

Each day read one section first read it in the English Standard Version

Then read Tom Wright's own translation. (He translates from ancient documents he does not paraphrase something existing)

Then read the devotional/explanation attached to that section.

Think and pray about what you have read until you start a new day and a new section.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 246
Reid A Ferguson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 15 2022 8:41 AM

Josiah, welcome to the family. You've already heard some great things but let me add a bit more. As some said, prayerful, consistent reading is the single most useful thing. The Bible Knowledge Commentary is a verse by verse commentary that is very easy reading. The Summarized Bible by Keith  Brooks could be very useful as he does a very short and quick summary of each chapter of the Bible. Each would take only few mintues to read to help grasp each chapter quickly. For getting a full grasp of overall theology you can't do better than Octavius Boothe's Plain Theology for Plain People. He wrote it for slave preachers in the south who had no access to theological training. You are more advanced than that, but as someone who has taught theology - this is a dear favorite of mine. Very clear and solid. You won't regret it. Blessings: Reid

Posts 19
josiah grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 15 2022 12:37 PM

Hello mike, are those books i already have? or have to purchased?

Posts 19
josiah grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 15 2022 12:37 PM

Octavius Boothe's Plain Theology for Plain People i will read that, Idk much about the other books u're talking about, do i have them or do i have to purchase them through logos? 

Posts 1270
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 15 2022 6:52 PM

Personally, I would recommend (as others have) reading your Bible every day. Set aside time every day to read that book. I suggest reading 3-4 chapters a day... and normally you can read the whole Bible in a year. Then start over.

"So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." --- Romans 10:17

I suggest reading the following books first...

1. Mark

2. Acts

3. Ephesians

4. John

5. Romans

6. 1 & 2 Corinthians.

Matthew thru John is about when Jesus was on this earth, His birth, His life, His death and His resurrection. Which is the gospel in a nutshell.

Acts is about how the church began and grew, about how to be saved, about how the church worshiped and how the apostles taught others.

Romans thru Revelation (22 books) are about how to live the Christian life Jesus wants us to live. Many illustrations about the church, it's interaction with it's members and some of what the church is.

These are things, I think, are important to growing our faith as some call it.

These are suggestions... hope this helps.

God speed! .... Geeked

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Barney Fife is my hero!

Posts 737
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 15 2022 7:16 PM

Josiah, do you have just the free version? Or did you also buy the Logos 7 Anglican Starter library?

Posts 1930
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 15 2022 7:30 PM

josiah grace:

The package you purchased is, in my opinion, probably the best of the "Starter" level libraries that Logos offers - and I am not Anglican. I like it because it has a very good and up to date lay level commentary in the "For Everyone" series, as well as a very good introduction/overview of the Bible in the Knowles Bible Guide. In addition, the Eerdmans Commentary, Dictionary, and Companion are all useful reference works.

As for what to read in the Bible to have a fuller understanding of the Gospel? Well, eventually all of it. :) But I am a bit of a fan of something I think Robert Jenson said. The first statement of the Gospel was "Jesus is Risen". And this was enough for those who knew who Jesus was and heard his teaching. But eventually we had to say who this Jesus was, and so we have Matthew, Mark, Luke and John telling us that, and then we have the rest of the New Testament telling us what "is Risen" means and doesn't mean. And, of course, Jesus himself is the source and summit of the religion of Israel as expressed in the Old Testament...

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 737
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 15 2022 7:30 PM

The NIrV is the easiest Bible translation to read. The NIrV is NOT to be confused with the NIV. The little "r" stands for "readers". The NIrV is written with short sentences. And the sentences are arranged with the subject first and then the main verb second. Romans is an important book, but the ideas are new for a new Christian. The short sentences make it a lot easier to understand.

Logos only has the 1st edition NIrV.

https://www.logos.com/product/8788/new-international-readers-version-1998-ed

Zondervan is the publisher of the NIrV. Zondervan only sells the 2nd edition, now. The Logos software does not match the Zondervan Bibles bought in a regular store. Both are easy to read, though.

The NIrV is often used for kids, and for people learning English, and in many jails. I really like this Bible for new Christians of any age. I use it for myself, sometimes. Especially when I read Romans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_International_Reader%27s_Version 

Posts 737
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 15 2022 9:26 PM

One of my favorite books in Logos for new or tired Christians is this daily devotional by David Wilkerson.

https://www.logos.com/product/43364/god-is-faithful-a-daily-invitation-into-the-father-heart-of-god 

God Is Faithful: A Daily Invitation into the Father Heart of God

Overview

David Wilkerson was devoted to seeking and serving the Lord. Through the ministries he founded—Teen Challenge, World Challenge, and Times Square Church—Dave helped transform lives all over the world. This book honors his tremendous spiritual legacy. Mined from his personal writings, it offers 365 insightful, inspiring reflections that reveal the loving heart of the Father. Each day in this year-long devotional journey, you can experience what Wilkerson knew intimately and preached passionately to all: God is faithful and he takes great delight in you.

David Wilkerson is the Pastor in the book and the movie The Cross and the Switchblade

The Cross and the Switchblade

https://www.logos.com/product/154713/the-cross-and-the-switchblade-the-true-story-of-one-mans-fearless-faith 

https://www.amazon.com/Cross-Switchblade-Pat-Boone/dp/B00009KYDK/ref=pd_bxgy_sccl_1/142-4867509-4051211?pd_rd_w=VADXt&pf_rd_p=6b3eefea-7b16-43e9-bc45-2e332cbf99da&pf_rd_r=JZ5RTQER887HRW660TA9&pd_rd_r=cb275ba3-79e2-43ab-9170-d85cb2b3f22f&pd_rd_wg=2PAfN&pd_rd_i=B00009KYDK&psc=1 

Posts 5999
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 16 2022 12:32 AM

josiah grace:

You may not own them if the Logos 7 starter is your only resource.

The way to be sure is to open Logos - open the Library - go to the search bar - start typing 'Author:Wright' and see what comes up.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 19
josiah grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 16 2022 8:49 AM

Logos 7 Anglican Starter library with the free version

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS