Study outside your idealogy?

Page 1 of 3 (46 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 45 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1212
xnman | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 21 2022 11:22 AM

A question.....

Do you study material outside your denomination or ideology?

Thanks for answering.

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 2242
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 21 2022 11:34 AM

Yes, I do.   If I only bought books and materials from a Wesleyan-Holiness perspective in Logos, my library would be very small.  

My studying outside your own denomination you learn that you do not have a corner on the truth and its helps you to see ones own blind spots.

Thanks for asking this question. 

Posts 941
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 21 2022 11:38 AM

xnman:

A question.....

Thanks for answering.

Yes.  By far the majority of my studies are outside of my denomination. I don’t always agree with everyone that I read but I always learn something and it pays to challenge my thinking. Sometimes I have a misunderstanding about another denomination and this corrects that. Sometimes I discover real treasures in my library that would be overlooked if I stayed within my denomination. My favourite commentary on Psalms is written from a Lutheran  background but I am not Lutheran. There are good perspectives from various denominations and my goal in my study is to harvest the best as much as I can. 

Posts 1885
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 21 2022 1:50 PM

xnman:

A question.....

Thanks for answering.

I wonder how North American the question is? Maybe you're not from there.

In the UK I don't personally feel denominationalism is very strong. I would generally buy books from the Protestant camp, but I pay no attention to the authors' denominations. Equally, I wouldn't worry about the denomination of the church I attend. I would be more interested in worshipping locally, as long as the church was "evangelical" - at least in the sense we use that word in the UK. 

Posts 36109
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 21 2022 1:55 PM

xnman:

Of course -- how else can you know if you are correct? To stay within a single ideology in politics is called brainwashing. I think the same applies to religion (or any other discipline).

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 36109
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 21 2022 1:58 PM

Paul Caneparo:

I wonder how North American the question is? Maybe you're not from there.

In the UK I don't personally feel denominationalism is very strong.

Not North American so much as a particular subset of North American . . .

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1469
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 21 2022 2:32 PM

xnman:

Not really. Just being 'honest'. I think it's like a trail up a mountain.  We part ways near the parking lot.  Sure, their trail(s) might be interesting.  Well thought out.  Convincing too. Uplifting. But it's not where I'm intending to go.  I could go there; not a problem.  But I didn't arrive to hike those trails.

To illustrate, I've spent much time at the St George Utah Mormon bookstore.  And built a Shinto shrine, with a nice bell.  And sat at peace outside the Catholic Church serving the native Americans to our south, as smoke curled up from campfires. And posed the query, how do you build the slightly narrowing walls in 16th century churches; what's the trick. The 'studying' isn't 'ideology', rather the experiencing.

Posts 225
1Cor10:31 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 21 2022 2:34 PM

I rarely know the denominational background of the authors of the commentaries and books I read.Big Smile 

Even if you read all the works of all the denominations was smart enough to identify exactly the truths from all denominations, and put a non-denominational truth package together, you would still not have 100% of all the truths (because that would rivals' God's knowledge, and humanity as a whole will never ever achieve God's knowledge). So you might as well read across a wide spectrum and ask for God's wisdom to discern truths as you read.

Posts 2968
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 21 2022 3:19 PM

xnman:

Not enough resources in Logos from my 'denomination or ideology' to fill a library.

And if I only study what I already know how will I know that what I believe is correct?

Posts 19694
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 21 2022 4:19 PM

xnman:

Absolutely. Besides, I've been part of so many denominations myself -- baptized Episcopal, went to Quaker Meeting (basically just childcare) as a young child, grew up Congregational, Presbyterian as a young adult, attended a "non-denominational" Bible study, went to a transdenominational seminary, member of a Mennonite church now -- that it would be silly to only study stuff within my own (current) denomination.

It's not that I've been moving around from denomination to denomination trying to find the one "right" one and stick with only that. But different life circumstances have made me realize that there is no one "right" denomination. There are so many benefits from learning different theologies, being exposed to different approaches, emphases, worship styles, authors, etc.

I am fortunate that for the past few decades I've been in theological circles that are open to and encourage people to explore writings from others all across the theological spectrum, rather than being afraid of it and teaching us to be wary (like my mother and my childhood church did). I read Catholic, Orthodox, and Jewish writings. I've even dipped a bit into writings from Sikh, Muslim, and Buddhist perspectives, or from "spiritual but not religious" people who borrow from other traditions.

The only denomination or ideology that I wouldn't care to read from would be any that teaches that it's the only true one and everyone else is 100% wrong.

Posts 9095
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 21 2022 4:21 PM

We all do 👍😁👌 Read Christian Courier or Apologetics Press Articles and look at the footnotes.  The sources cited are from authors from various denominations and academic fields.

DAL

Posts 1757
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 21 2022 4:35 PM

xnman:

Definately. How else do I grow beyond what I currently understand? Assuming that I (and my mob) already have the truth sorted and everyone else is wrong would be ignorant pride on my part, and underestimating God on his.

Posts 732
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 21 2022 4:39 PM

Rosie Perera:

xnman:

But different life circumstances have made me realize that there is no one "right" denomination. ... 

... The only denomination or ideology that I wouldn't care to read from would be any that teaches that it's the only true one and everyone else is 100% wrong.

Rosie said it better than I ever could.

Posts 27986
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 21 2022 4:50 PM

xnman:

A question.....

Thanks for answering.

I did a check in Passage Guide and the majority of Commentaries are outside my denomination (for Gen-Rev). But there are denominational Base Packages I won't select.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1601
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 21 2022 5:05 PM

Absolutely, and always have. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 2395
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 21 2022 7:09 PM

Absolutely!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 19694
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 21 2022 7:43 PM

xnman:

I'm curious what your answer to your own question is, and would you care to elaborate on why, and what you expected might be the percentage of "Yes" answers vs. "No" among Logos users?

Posts 9095
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 21 2022 9:49 PM

Rosie Perera:

xnman:

I'm curious what your answer to your own question is, and would you care to elaborate on why, and what you expected might be the percentage of "Yes" answers vs. "No" among Logos users?

I’d love to see what his answer is 👌

Posts 740
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 21 2022 9:56 PM

xnman:

Absolutely.  

Posts 479
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 22 2022 3:51 AM

I certainly do - probably because I can't help myself. Wink Of course, this doesn't mean I would treat all material equally, with the same regard or having the same authority.  For certain beliefs out there I'll just do some window shopping as I enjoy knowing why others believe what they do. Similarly, I'll read Bible versions promoted by some groups to see how they use (or misuse) Scripture and dip into their doctrines and writers to see their reasoning even if I manifestly disagree with them. Yet in the end much study makes jack a dull boy - so its then time for me to sharpen my chain saw, cut wood and feed the pigeons.  Keep well Paul             

Page 1 of 3 (46 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS