Hello i'm new in christ

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 19
josiah grace | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 24 2022 4:26 PM

I was wondering when holy spirit illuminates and or faith comes from hearing passages, I was wondering because i do not know how to study the bible because of not being very educated and a bit simple, can i use already made study notes, ive been using NLT and new testament for everyone by N T Wright 

heres my old fourm idk how to reply on it or where exactly https://community.logos.com/forums/p/206642/1203149.aspx#1203149

i bought  "For Everyone" series, as well as a very good introduction/overview of the Bible in the Knowles Bible Guide. In addition, the Eerdmans CommentaryDictionary, and Companion are all useful reference works. not sure how to use eerdmans but i go through it some. I bought  30 Days to Understanding What Christians Believe by Max Anders sadly i cannot /type into it, he has a newer one here  https://www.logos.com/product/165338/30-days-to-understanding-the-bible-30th-anniversary-unlock-the-scriptures-in-15-minutes-a-day but
idk if it has mainly faith,hope,love,grace,atonement,redemption,regeneration,justification,sanctification.section ten key words of bible doctrine. trying to understand the main doctrines. if not i can still use the old version to read. I want to know if the newer one he if i can type into it the  so it can be easier to study in it on logos or another tool i can use. i'm just trying to understand things on a similar level. Epesically the doctrine of the gospel and the cross. I do not know God and wasted so much time, and i know everyone i heard thrives to be more like christ. But my intimate relationship with him i am trying to get closer but at simpler level. While i read pray and meditate i just need to know im looking unto jesus. looking to him in prayer. Im trying to center my mind around that, So knowing the doctrines i mention i know is part of the foundation so i can grow i have a hard time getting into my head but im keeping at it and reading it over and over like doctrine of grace. I have a bad comprehension so i listen as well as trying to focus on the word. The two massage passages that hit me was 

Romans 5:1-5
and  
Ephesians 3:14-19 and im trying to i guess get deeper in understand what he wants to show me there. So trying to study notes would be helpful or not

Logos 7 Anglican Starter Legacy Library 

Posts 36043
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 24 2022 5:08 PM

josiah grace:
I was wondering because i do not know how to study the bible because of not being very educated and a bit simple,

There are denominations for which I have tremendous respect which consider being simple and uneducated an advantage. The Finnish Apostolic Lutheran Church of my childhood depended on lay preachers not seminary trained. Some churches that appeal to the simple and uneducated are looking for the gullible, but some appeal to the communal in a way that allows even the least self-confident to learn to know Christ and follow Him. Don't worry about what you don't know. Read and listen to what you understand and as you grow in faith, your reading and listening will slowly grow to have more depth. As for study notes (and dictionaries) use what you need.  We all started there whether we remember it or not. Don't worry about how to study the Bible -- the important thing is simply to read the Bible, spending time listening to God. All other methods are unnecessary.

[Yes, I know I'm skating the line on theology but I can't figure out a theology-neutral answer to a sincere question.]

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19599
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 24 2022 5:11 PM

josiah grace:
I was wondering when holy spirit illuminates and or faith comes from hearing passages,

The Lexham English Bible (LEB) is freely included in the Lexham Intro Collection (5 vols.)

One idea is Bible Search of LEB for verses having two words: faith hear

Adding a version to Bible Search causes corresponding search results to appear in New Living Translation (NLT).

Noticed Galatians 3:2 faith in LEB was translated believe in NLT. Also hear in LEB was translated as message in NLT.

Expanded search finds Galatians 3:2 in NLT

(faith OR believe) NEAR (hear OR message)

Another NLT search expansion to include John 10:27 is

(faith OR believe OR voice) NEAR (hear OR message OR listen)

Bible Search idea for Holy Spirit illumination is:

<Person Holy Spirit> (illuminate OR teach OR faith OR hear)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 19
josiah grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 30 2022 8:01 AM

Pray, read, ask the holy spirit It's all about accepting and desiring the Word of God so it can do its work? 

I ask god to help me and would pray to god and say as i read this book holy spirit open my eyes to see the truth soften my heart to receive it so as to be changed into the likeness of christ and live a life that honors the lord.

I do not know everything what you're saying can you break it down for me?

Derek prince said

Number one, give attention to my words.

Number two, incline your ear to my sayings.

Number three, do not let them depart from your eyes.

And number four, keep them in the midst of your heart.

though i have trouble doing it i listen audio and try my best to focus on the words and read a long.

Posts 19
josiah grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 30 2022 8:12 AM

I try and use
some  'New Testament for Everyone' series.
mainly - Knowles Bible Guide.
and the NLT STUDY guide mainly, but Also used Eerdmans CommentaryDictionary, and Companion for further Word Study

Because being a new christian i don't want to interpret the word wrong. 

I like what said Charles Octavius Boothe, Plain Theology for Plain People that section in the book for more context and or could point out things, I'm open for rebuke and reproof. 

Chapter 2: Man
IV. Man Fell of His Own Choice
(1) Immediate Results of the Fall

IMMEDIATE RESULTS OF THE FALL

Obedience was their covering, their righteousness, their robe of heavenly citizenship. While this remained untorn they were honorable, appearing in royal apparel. But now it is torn, and their nakedness shames them. They are troubled for garments, and fall to “sewing fig leaves together” to cover themselves. These dry and crumble and fall off. God is heard. They flee from his approaching voice, and seek to hide among the thick trees of the garden. He pursues them, overtakes them, holds them to trial. For the first time, that lordly pair of creatures begin to experience complainings and bitter feelings against each other. Here we come in sight of the first signs of human cowardice and deception. The man lays the blame on the woman, and the woman lays it on the serpent. Here it may be asked why God did not perfect their faith in him, so that doubt would have been impossible. Replying to this, I would say that active faith is composed of two operations; namely, first, it is the putting forth of evidence on one side, and, second, it is the acceptance of this evidence on the other. In the case of faith in God, it engages two parties: First, God puts forth the word which he wants us to receive. He shows us the strength of that word. What remains to be done must be done by us; that is to say, man must perform the part of resting on the word put before him. God put the word before Adam; he satisfied Adam of his power, wisdom, sovereignty, and goodness. God had done his part. Now if Adam refused to rest his confidence, his interests, and hopes in him, it is plain that the fault was entirely his own.
“Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. So he drove the man out: and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubim and a flaming sword, which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life” (Genesis 3:2324).
Sad sight! Bitter cup! Dark and doleful future! The soul is leprous! Woe to the world for the mournful sounds and woeful sights which it must now hear and see!

I'm Going to continue to read first the whole NT  "Also by listening focusing better improving my comprehension on top of that because that is where faith had worked out best for me because i cannot read out loud that well and that it seems that the HS reveals best, on top of that now i have learned to stop and learn better what he's wanting to teach me there as well. I've went back to Ephesians 3:14-21 and Romans 5:5 several times trying to understand better what he wanted me to learn there and apply them, i do know that those are crucial books to learn"  "So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." --- Romans 10:17 

Posts 1927
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 30 2022 8:37 AM

In your questions, I am actually reminded of a conversation between two pastors in the Lutheran Novel The Hammer of God.

“What, then, shall I do about it?”
“Read the Bible, of course.”
“I read the Bible every day.”
“I believe that. But how do you read?”
“You mustn’t be so critical, Olle, of everything a poor fellow does. I try to read devotionally and for edification, so that I take to heart that which I feel is meant for me.”
“Feel, feel! That is just what is wrong. Don’t you believe the Bible is God’s Word just as truly, no matter how you may feel? Don’t you see, Brother, that this won’t do? Here you are with your sore conscience and your awakening by the law, and you are as sensitive to every single threat of that law as a sore tooth to ice water. But since the conscience is dead as clay toward all the gospel promises, you feel nothing when God’s Word speaks about Jesus, who died for us sinners, and about the righteousness that comes from God and which one may believe in spite of every accusation of one’s conscience. Because you make your feelings your barometer, you pass by the gospel and are held fast in the law. Look in your Bible and see if the passages you have especially marked are not just those that speak of what you shall do. But you have not given half the attention to that which tells what Christ has done through his atonement.”
Torvik gave inward assent to that. It was true, completely true. But he said nothing.
“We are in the midst of Lent, Brother,” said the rector. “Read God’s Word now as God’s Word, without skipping anything. Underline heavily everything about what our Savior has done for us. And if you like, write ‘For me’ in the margin. You need this yourself, and it is your duty to preach it to your congregation, as well.”

Giertz, B. (2004). Hammer of god. Augsburg Books. (Italics added for emphasis by Ken McGuire)

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 2268
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 30 2022 1:22 PM

MJ. Smith:

josiah grace:
I was wondering because i do not know how to study the bible because of not being very educated and a bit simple,

There are denominations for which I have tremendous respect which consider being simple and uneducated an advantage. The Finnish Apostolic Lutheran Church of my childhood depended on lay preachers not seminary trained. Some churches that appeal to the simple and uneducated are looking for the gullible, but some appeal to the communal in a way that allows even the least self-confident to learn to know Christ and follow Him. Don't worry about what you don't know. Read and listen to what you understand and as you grow in faith, your reading and listening will slowly grow to have more depth. As for study notes (and dictionaries) use what you need.  We all started there whether we remember it or not. Don't worry about how to study the Bible -- the important thing is simply to read the Bible, spending time listening to God. All other methods are unnecessary.

[Yes, I know I'm skating the line on theology but I can't figure out a theology-neutral answer to a sincere question.]

Josiah Grace, I think MJ Smith has given a really simple answer and I like what she has suggested:  The important thing is to simply read the Bible, spending time listenign to God.  All other methods are unnecessary. 

One of the greatest lessons I have learned in my life is the power of the Word of God to change lives.  And it has changed the lives of the simple as well as the sophisticated; the learned professor and the uneducated. 

Posts 19599
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 30 2022 11:40 PM

josiah grace:
Pray, read, ask the holy spirit It's all about accepting and desiring the Word of God so it can do its work? 

Logos Wiki Bible Translation Spectrum includes:

For Bible Study of a passage, one practical approach is praying Psalms 119:18 followed by using S.O.A.P.

• S = Scripture (Where’s it at ?)
  • O = Observe (What jumps out ?)
  • A = Apply (What to do ?)
  • P = Pray (about it)

At times, the “O = Observe” needs to seek meaning in Original Context to discover Truth gem(s).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1206
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2022 3:45 AM

Personally ....... I believe the Bible is right when it says... "... faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God." Rom 10:17. I also believe God has given us the "evidences" to build our faith - Heb 11:1-3. 

Which tells me a person needs to "get into God's word" to become the kind of person that God wants them to be.

So... take part of each day... and read God's word.  I suggest starting with the book of Mark...then John... then Matthew..... then Luke.... that will give you a good picture and somewhat understanding of what Christ was all about. I think this is very important for a new Christian....

Then read Acts... Ephesians...Galatians...Romans and the rest of the N.T.  This will give you  a sense of what God wants of you.

Men may fail you.... women may fail you.... but God will never fail you if you walk in the light of Jesus. 

I wish you well...

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 19
josiah grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2022 4:28 PM

Alright thanks everyone so much.

Posts 1033
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 9 2022 10:53 AM

Maybe worth exploring:

https://www.logos.com/product/150576/crucial-questions-series 

Then you can search for particular key concepts you find in such.

If possible then consider:

https://www.logos.com/product/49407/beginners-guide-series-collection 

You can keep looking into good series, and get ideas to make searches using the Library you have available:

https://www.logos.com/product/223468/the-bible-speaks-today-themes 

Studying the particular topics that seem to attract your attention may help maybe.

Posts 19689
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 12 2022 8:06 PM

Hi Josiah,

Another suggestion just came across my radar. It's not available in Logos either (like the Scripture Union resources I recommended on a different thread), but the Kindle editions (when those are available) are pretty reasonable. It's the Every Day With Jesus series by well-known devotional author Selwyn Hughes.

You might start with Every Day with Jesus for New Christians: First Steps in the Christian Faith

And there's the CSB Every Day with Jesus Daily Bible (CSB = Christian Standard Bible)

Posts 3533
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 12 2022 9:01 PM

Thank you, Rosie for presenting an opportunity to sow into the life of my brother Josiah. My contributions are simple, Logos is Bible software and as such it makes good sense to obtain a wide variety of Bibles for comparison. 

Some examples I think are important for comparison are as follows: NIV11, NRSV, NET2 you have the NLT and it is variously described as a paraphrase or a functional or dynamic equivalent translation. The 3 preceding translations are considered formal equivalent translations, meaning they tend to attempt to reproduce the flow of the original language, that being Greek.

A good study bible is helpful one suggestion is the Nelson Study Bible it is very accessible. Finally, I offer you the power of scripture itself. Read and meditate on John 11:26. Compare the NLT to the NIV11 and decide which resonates with your spirit. 

Love,

Beloved

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 103
skypeace | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2022 3:16 AM

The Everyday with Jesus Devotional Bible came over to Logos recently with its acquisition of WordSearch. I used it as a Bible study for our motorcycle ministry chapter. 

A Slave of Christ, Cancelled by Culture, Affirmed by God! HCSB, yes I am that guy!

Posts 1
Rodger Okoye | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 15 2022 11:53 AM

For me, I was born into Christ, so I never had the choice to decide whether or not it (or He) was for me. I think, your experiences, should act as a solid foundation for the basis of your faith. I've lived an almost, entirely Christian live, virtually devoid of sin. So my perspective will very different. 

That aside, there's no race, once you've accepted the truth. 

Born Again Christian | Uche

Posts 9072
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 16 2022 12:34 PM

I could’ve sworn I posted here and recommended a New converts class at the church where he worships.  That’s the wisest advice, aside from buying Logos, that way he can have someone more mature mentor him.

If my comment was removed, I’d like to know why, since it wasn’t inappropriate to the thread but actually contributed in a positive way to it.

DAL

Posts 1206
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 16 2022 5:42 PM

If a person wants to know what Jesus expects of him... the best place to go is the words of Jesus...  Read your Bible...understand your Bible.... and follow your Bible..

I think these are the wisest words ever given to man.

I wish you well in your sojourn.

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 5977
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 17 2022 1:25 AM

josiah grace:

Alright thanks everyone so much.

Hi Josiah

On Tuesday at 19:00 BST we are running the Bible Project's Bible Course. This week it is week 2 of an eight week set.

If you would like to give it a try go to corbystninians.org.uk and click on the link.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 9072
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 25 2022 8:19 AM

xnman:

If a person wants to know what Jesus expects of him... the best place to go is the words of Jesus...  Read your Bible...understand your Bible.... and follow your Bible..

For a mature Christian that knows his Bible, that’s good advice, but for “a recent convert” or someone “searching for Truth” that doesn’t work.  Babes in Christ need someone to feed them milk (1 Corinthians 3:1-2; Hebrews 5:12-14) and those searching for Truth need someone to explain so they can understand what they’re reading (Acts 8:30-40).

DAL

Posts 1206
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 26 2022 7:16 AM

DAL:

xnman:

For a mature Christian that knows his Bible, that’s good advice, but for “a recent convert” or someone “searching for Truth” that doesn’t work.  Babes in Christ need someone to feed them milk (1 Corinthians 3:1-2; Hebrews 5:12-14) and those searching for Truth need someone to explain so they can understand what they’re reading (Acts 8:30-40).

DAL

I  think it's good advice for new or mature Christians.

I still believe that the best thing someone can do for their soul is to get into God's word and learn for themselves.  Every church represented in these forums all have different "new converts" class... (which are not all alike) and from which we learn the ways of man because man made up those studies.  I often wonder what "new converts class" the Ethiopian eunuch (Acts 8:1-39) went to?  As I often wonder about other such "converts" in the N.T. 

The instructions I see from reading my Bible... is to "learn of from me" - Mat 11:29.  I think what Jesus said then was good advice... and I think it still is. 

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS