O RLY? (Email Homework)

Page 2 of 2 (40 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 39 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2022 6:25 PM

I entered faithlifemail.com into Google Chrome, then saw a small "i" in a circle next to it. Hovering on it this is what I got:

Looks like a good email to ignore.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1456
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2022 7:15 PM

And the source of Faithlife customer email IDs?

Posts 1391
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2022 7:28 PM

Mark Smith:

I initially thought this must be FL is doing for clicks for some silly reason. If it is actually a security breach where an outside party got access to our email addresses, this is much more serious.

The lack of a prompt official response/action from FL is not a good look either.

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2022 10:57 PM

Sean:

Mark Smith:

I initially thought this must be FL is doing for clicks for some silly reason. If it is actually a security breach where an outside party got access to our email addresses, this is much more serious.

The lack of a prompt official response/action from FL is not a good look either.

Yes

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 2923
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 3:38 AM

Mark Smith:
I entered faithlifemail.com into Google Chrome, then saw a small "i" in a circle next to it. Hovering on it this is what I got:

http://faithifemail.com is not secure. However, https://faithlifemail.com is secure. Http connections are never secure. You don't even have to enter the address into a browser to test this, as it is a given fact...

Also, whether a webserver is secure or not is entirely independent of the security of a mailserver, even when they share the same address. 

Also, there have been other mailings from FL from the same address before, such as "Save 40% or more off TOTC/TNTC (48 vols.)" and "👀 People are loving these deals".

Therefore, I don't see any concerns whatsoever that the message originated anywhere except FL, or that the mail server might be compromised.

DAL:
No one expects him to know what everyone else is doing every day! So your comment is unnecessary!

I should have added a 😉 to the comment. I wasn't expecting that it would be taken seriously.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Seminary Student (VIU).
Christian Debate Forum --- Auferstanden! Blog

Posts 1064
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 5:48 AM

Jan Krohn:

I should have added a 😉 to the comment. I wasn't expecting that it would be taken seriously.

You actually had me laughing!

Posts 2555
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 6:12 AM

Suggestion:

Faithlife.com should sell The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster and illustrated by Jules Feiffer. I needed to search for the excellent chapter on "Jumping to Conclusions." Alas, not having the book handy in Logos, I could not. 

Here is what we know.  Some of us (#notme) got emails that seem iffy. Might be something phishy. Or not. Mark Barnes is casting a dragnet to haul in a draught. He might come up empty; more likely, He will provide an "Ohhhh, now I see" explanation.  Faithlife is a good company. Good people. The internet is the internet. Humans are human.

Meanwhile, as we meditate in silence, without benefit of The Phantom Tollbooth in Logos, I suggest this excellent study on the chapter about Jumping to Conclusions, which is so helpful to me:

https://study.com/academy/lesson/the-phantom-tollbooth-quotes-about-conclusions.html

Posts 1038
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 8:20 AM

All we want to know is if its a genuine email, you don't think its at all worrying that after more than 24 hours no one is able to tell us what the answer is?

It really is not asking much, given the impact that any potential data breach could have. 

Posts 44
LogosEmployee
Mark Barnes (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 8:39 AM

Mike Pettit:

All we want to know is if its a genuine email, you don't think its at all worrying that after more than 24 hours no one is able to tell us what the answer is?

It really is not asking much, given the impact that any potential data breach could have. 

I'm sorry for the delay in responding with a clear answer.

I can confirm that the email did come from Faithlife.

Faithlife is moving to a new email platform, and the advice from the platform was to send out an email similar to the one that many of you received to ensure that anti-spam filters didn't think the change of email provider is a phishing attack.

Unfortunately, many of you interpreted it in exactly that way. I quite understand why you did so, and you're right to be vigilant in assessing emails from any organization. I'm following up with the team that sent out the email to ensure they understand your concerns, and I'm sure we'll learn from this going forward.

Again, apologies for the confusion.

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 8:43 AM

Mark Barnes (Faithlife):
I can confirm that the email did come from Faithlife.

Thanks.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1289
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 9:10 AM

Mark Smith:

If it is a legitimate e-mail, the server should be secure.

Posts 1173
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 10:35 AM

Armin:

There is no website to form an https:// connection with. Make up any random URL that goes nowhere and you will get the same message. 

Posts 19693
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 10:47 AM

Justin Gatlin:

Armin:

There is no website to form an https:// connection with. Make up any random URL that goes nowhere and you will get the same message. 

Well, if Faithlife owns the domain faithlifemail.com, they ought to be able to set up a dummy website with an https:// connection and have it tell people this is just for internal use and provide a link to the main Logos website.

Posts 1173
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 10:55 AM

Rosie Perera:

they ought to be able to set up a dummy website with an https:// connection and have it tell people this is just for internal use and provide a link to the main Logos website.

They definitely should. They also own faithlife.net which inexplicably does not redirect to faithlife.com or logos.com. I think it is very bad form to send emails from any domain that is not yet set up at all, but I am just saying that is not a good test of whether an email is phishing. It is just the regular sloppiness I have become resigned to expect from Faithlife's marketing.

Posts 326
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 11:58 AM

If I may ask, exactly what am I supposed to do with this email??

If I do nothing, what happens??

Posts 19693
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 1:31 PM

scooter:

Just delete it. I didn't get one. They'll just have to figure out how to get their emails to be trusted from their new email provider without 100% participation from the people they asked to help them build their reputation. I don't think users who pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to a company for their software owe the company in terms of helping them with voluntary testing (beta or otherwise), social media marketing, or email reputation boosting. Sure, if you want to help them, do so. But this trend towards having companies depend more and more on their customers for stuff like this seems lame to me. I'm not blaming Faithlife for that. It seems to be an industry-wide trend. But that doesn't mean I have to like it and participate in it.

Posts 326
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 1:43 PM

Rosie Perera:

scooter:

Just delete it. I didn't get one. They'll just have to figure out how to get their emails to be trusted from their new email provider without 100% participation from the people they asked to help them build their reputation. I don't think users who pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to a company for their software owe the company in terms of helping them with voluntary testing (beta or otherwise), social media marketing, or email reputation boosting. Sure, if you want to help them, do so. But this trend towards having companies depend more and more on their customers for stuff like this seems lame to me. I'm not blaming Faithlife for that. It seems to be an industry-wide trend. But that doesn't mean I have to like it and participate in it.

I will delete it.

I appreciate you explaining this practise.  Lame it is!

Thank you.

Posts 721
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 3:01 PM

Mark Barnes (Faithlife):

I can confirm that the email did come from Faithlife. [...]

I'm following up with the team that sent out the email to ensure they understand your concerns, and I'm sure we'll learn from this going forward.

Again, apologies for the confusion.

Yes

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 3:53 PM

Rosie Perera:

scooter:

Yes

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1391
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2022 5:32 PM

Rosie Perera:

This. I couldn't have said it better and probably would have said it less charitably.

Page 2 of 2 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS