How do I get rid of "bloatware"?

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 35808
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 29 2022 1:50 PM

1Cor10:31:
I still haven't found anyone give me a solid reason as to what motivation Faithlife has to be biased against any denomination.

Bias is rarely intentional. It is most frequently the effect of limited exposure to other perspectives hence the need for serious attention to the selection of subject matter experts in system design. They must provide the perspectives not available in house.

But I still haven't seen results either that show they are biased. 

For the simple reasons that

• you are using "biased" in a different sense than I
  • I don't want to pursue the topic nor do I see why you do
  • I simply wanted to give xnman answers to his question as he asked it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1924
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 29 2022 4:42 PM

I still haven't found anyone give me a solid reason as to what motivation Faithlife has to be biased against any denomination.

I don't think they are intentionally biased against any denomination. That said, they have a limited understanding of many denominations which influences what they do and don't offer, as well as general priorities for both resources and software development. But that is to be expected of any company. They have a limited understanding of their customers - and work really hard to understand them better...

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 1033
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 29 2022 7:06 PM

Forrest:

Not sure if will be of help for you, but I usually do a quick collection to focus on a particular tradition / denomination.

Very unscientific, probably leaves many resources out, but it does help to focus on what the main angles to the subject I'm searching are.  (info from other denominations may show up, but sometimes it helps to enlarge the conceptual framework related to the topic).

A more scientific way would be to tag resources in the particular denomination (using mytag, not sure if able to do that in batch) and search there. There used to be collections for particular denominations (but they may be outdated and with bloatware).

Posts 35808
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 29 2022 7:28 PM

xnman:
and it serves a clientele that is made up of more reformed and catholic thinking than not. 

Actual percentages:

• Reformed 22%
  • Catholic 17%
  • Evangelical 21% is needed to make up a majority (more than half) the resources

Remember that many books and authors cross denominational lines. Jaroslav Pelikan, while still Lutheran, was treated by both Catholics and Eastern Orthodox as one of their own. And many people have different publisher preferences for different subjects: for Bible studies I look to Lutherans, for liturgical studies I look to Anglicans, for liturgical theology and patristics I look to Orthodox, for theology I look to Catholics. I am not atypical except for my interest in liturgical theology.

My personal view is that the use of Faithlife software is a continuum -- one end is the pure Logos Evangelical/some Reformed/Fundamentalist/Independent group; the other end is pure Verbum ACELO ((high)Anglican, Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, (high)Lutheran, Oriental Orthodox). Everyone else (plus a few from the described ends) spread themselves out over the continuum need features emphasized by both Logos and Verbum. I tend to get annoyed when Faithlife designers forget the many who are not at the ends but somewhere on the continuum.

I am certain others use different mental models - these are simply mine.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2844
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 29 2022 11:13 PM

I have tons of stuff I probably will never use. I probably should tag or hide stuff but it doesn't get in the way at all if you have a fast machine.  What I really recommend is that you prioritize the stuff you have so that it comes up when you study. I think you ought to focus on that. Make your desktop the way you want it so that the things you need are always accessible. Concentrate on what you use, not on what you don't use. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 932
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 30 2022 3:10 AM

mab:

I have tons of stuff I probably will never use. I probably should tag or hide stuff but it doesn't get in the way at all if you have a fast machine.  What I really recommend is that you prioritize the stuff you have so that it comes up when you study. I think you ought to focus on that. Make your desktop the way you want it so that the things you need are always accessible. Concentrate on what you use, not on what you don't use. 

Great suggestion. I like your approach. I also have "stuff" I will never use and my library keeps growing every month. 

Posts 5918
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 30 2022 4:42 AM

Forrest McPhail:
I want to be able to get rid of all of the resources that are irrelevant to me.

It is less important, in my opinion, if resources are irrelevant to me, the main concern is; are they relevant to the authors I will read? If they are, or might be, I want the links to these volumes to work. After all that is one of the reasons why I use Logos. Dead links always annoy me.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 342
Michael Parry-Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2022 7:12 PM

Hi

MJ. Smith

Is it possible to show how  to make these  denomination charts in logos 

I have all the denomination bass packages.  I go to a methodist church

But I liked the title of been a Christian

I like to keep my  mind open ,useing  logos  library with all the different denomination ,  I don't have any  bolt wear just an amazing library of biblical resources 

I am always learning something from different denomination 

Mick

Mick
Posts 35808
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 3 2022 9:02 PM

Michael Parry-Thomas:
Is it possible to show how  to make these  denomination charts in logos 

No, the figures I am using come from the storefront.

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS