What is a good, basic phone for Logos?

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 737
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 1 2022 2:30 PM

Dear Siblings in Christ,

Realizing I'm not the only octogenarian in the Logos branch of the family, and likely not the only codger to have landed in the hospital for an unexpected stay without anything except a Tracfone, I'm in the market for a good. basic phone that will: a) keep the family connected; b) handle email; c) provide decent Logos capabilities.

What do I want to: a) look for; b) look out for/avoid?

What: a) make(s); b) model(s); c) capabilities stand out in your experiences?

And may your future medical adventures testify as clearly as mine to ways the Holy One heals all our diseases as may redound to his glory and be best for us.

The peace of Christ be with you all, Steve

Posts 1209
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2022 2:38 PM

i'm not an Apple fan.... so bear that in mind...

I have been with a Samsung phone for 12 years or so. My current phone Samsung S21+ which I have been happy with it... 

It does all that I ask of it  and I am very happy with the way it runs Logos.

Just my opinion....Geeked

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 2923
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2022 3:10 PM

Samsung S series isn't basic. It's high end. The Samsung A series is basic, or even the M series (online only).

Make sure you get a 2022 model with Android 12. It will receive two major updates (Android 13 and Android 14), and afterward you'll get Logos support for about 5 years. So you'll have a decent phone on which Logos is supported for a total of about 7 years.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Seminary Student (VIU).
Christian Debate Forum --- Auferstanden! Blog

Posts 1453
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2022 3:43 PM

I'd think you need to think more about your criticalities.  Example: text readability.  Or simple things like hearing; how loud.

I just got a iPhone 13 mini.  It's job to make calls (I know; pretty basic; we used a flip-phone for the last 10 years).  But I was surprised (more accurately, shocked) it displays Logos mobile reading so nicely.  I've been using my iPad mini (3 times the size), and the iPhone is funner to read with.  But not study with, of course.

But the primary was to plan for entering 'more old' issues .... easy to hear. Loud enough alarm/call.  Connects to the medical people, as needed. Right now I use a separate Suunto 9 watch for hiking (heart/oxygen/GPS/weather) but probably switch to Apple eventually.

I guess I wanted simple, but 'just in case' expandability.

Posts 738
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2022 3:57 PM

I can definitely recommend the Pixel "A" Series -for a budget phone - it runs Logos and has a great camera for the $400-$500 range. 

Posts 30668
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2022 6:54 PM

Steve: you mentioned family. That is a good place to start. My wife’s grandparents are your age. They live in rural America and buying an iPhone is not something they would have ever done on their own initiative. However, their only son and daughter-in-law, four grandchildren, and “old enough to use them” great grandchildren are all vested in iOS (Apple). We make sure they have iPhones and iPads so that they can keep in touch. 

Check with your family. 1) use what they use and 2) see what they do with their old devices. They are the ones to best advise you, help keep your devices up to date, etc. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1163
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2022 9:31 PM

I just started using a Samsung a52s and I am very impressed with it in general as well as with using Logos on it. I'd recommend that or the newer a53 if you don't mind not having a headphone jack. The a52 is cheaper still but not as robust. Also it has a 6.5" screen which sounded big to me coming from a 5.2" but I like having the extra room to read although it's obviously still much smaller (narrower) than an e-reader.

Posts 732
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2022 9:55 PM

I am younger than you, but my eyes might be worse than yours. I have to buy phones that are targeted directly to seniors or people with vison issues. I also choose phones from a company that has a good relationship with my cellular data provider.

I bought the Samsung S21+ about a year ago as it was the only Android phone in the showroom that I could see. And it had the best text-to-speech voice. It will take me 24 months to pay off. Sigh. And I will not be able to see this phone much longer. Hopefully the Samsung fold phones will be cheaper by the time I need one.

If I did not live such an eventful life, and if I could see better, I would spend a lot less on tech. But this is my life. I make the best of it with the help of technology. Good luck choosing what you need!

Posts 19599
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 1 2022 10:37 PM

Steve Maling:
Realizing I'm not the only octogenarian in the Logos branch of the family, and likely not the only codger to have landed in the hospital for an unexpected stay without anything except a Tracfone, I'm in the market for a good. basic phone that will: a) keep the family connected; b) handle email; c) provide decent Logos capabilities.

For family connections, what does your family use ?

My family has a mix of Apple iOS and various Android. Family and friends who have an iPhone allows me to send a text message with PDF attachment (cannot be sent to Android as a text message so have to use email for PDF attachment).

Apple iOS tends to have higher upfront cost, which includes many free updates/upgrades. Tom's Hardware Guide rumor for iOS 16 later this year is hardware needs to be newer than iPhone 6S and iPhone 6s Plus (released on 9 Sep 2015) and 1st generation iPhone SE (Apple supported seven major iOS releases for these iPhone models).

My current iPhone has a monthly installment payment with my wireless provider (and an unlimited data plan so my iPhone provides personal hotspot for my iMac).

An Amazon search idea is iPhone renewed unlocked (for use with many wireless providers that allow customers to provide devices). Amazon Renewed has 90-day guarantee (so a poor performing device can be sent back). Also noticing renewed pricing being less expensive for larger storage capacities. Likewise noticed Amazon Renewed Premium that has a year warranty (along with 90% battery life).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5978
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 2 2022 4:13 AM

Hi Steve

I'm with JT on this.

Your most helpful tech support is likely to come from family members. Use what you favourite grandchild uses and as far as possible mimic their set-up. Stick to one voice as your first call for help and only listen to others if you run into an intractable problem.

Don't say - I don't want this or that feature; just go with the flow and you will find that there are many things a modern phone can help you with.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 2729
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 2 2022 7:23 AM

Steve Maling:
What do I want to: a) look for; b) look out for/avoid?

As someone who sold Cell phones for a season, I do NOT recommend you keep looking for a phone.

My suggestion is to keep the Tracfone, that you know and are familiar and is a pricepoint you are comfortable.

IMHO Logos (even the mobile APP) needs more screen real estate than even the largest phones provide, My suggestion is look for a tablet (your family can make good suggestions that they can be your first contact for support). A tablet (even without a phone SIM card) can connect to your home wifi or hospital wifi (for email & logos) and will provide an easier interface than a phone.

Yes, it means an additional device that you won't always have on your hip, but it will make a more pleasant experience in your recliner or (may God prevent) a hospital bed.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 30668
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 2 2022 7:52 AM

There is some good sense in what David writes, although I don't necessarily agree. For some users I think his advice is spot on. For others, being connected "on the go" with a smart phone makes sense. There are also other reasons such as having an Apple Watch (which can call 911 in the case of a fall, for example). 

Posts 1453
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 2 2022 8:08 AM

JT (alabama24):

There are also other reasons such as having an Apple Watch (which can call 911 in the case of a fall, for example). 

Not speaking to Steve's quandary. But in our 'planning' for not-dieing (ironic, no?), we have hopes for 3 technologies:

- Improved watch functionalities. I can imagine sort of instant walkie-talkie, plus monitoring. Health worker support will be (more) expensive.

- Transportation packaging (groups), and self-drive. 

- 3D shopping (vs the search/lists today).

Each of these demands more than basic electronic support long-term. Which us oldsters wish to avoid. More irony.

Posts 2729
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 2 2022 9:46 AM

JT (alabama24):
There are also other reasons such as having an Apple Watch (which can call 911 in the case of a fall, for example). 

I respect JT's opinion. Not every user's needs are the same Big Smile

I am somewhere between JT's age and am not yet an octagenarian, I do wear the Apple Watch that JT mentions, but the new "auto call 911" is my least favorite feature of the latest WatchOS. At least 4 times the crown of the watch has pressed against the back of my hand when the watch slips down my wrist and triggers the auto-call that I must cancel. One man's solution is another man's distraction.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the newer Apple Watches have their own SIM cards to connect directly to a cellular network without a phone? https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/ Wink

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1453
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 2 2022 10:03 AM

David Thomas:

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the newer Apple Watches have their own SIM cards to connect directly to a cellular network without a phone? https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/ Wink

Just discussing. Battery, battery, battery. A watch's problem is always user-wants-small, apps-want-large. There was a good article yesterday on Apple trying to make tradeoffs. Dick Tracy vs chemistry.

Posts 19599
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 2 2022 10:29 AM

David Thomas:

GPS + Cellular Apple Watch models can connect directly to a cellular network while GPS Apple Watches need an iPhone nearby => What’s the difference between GPS and GPS + Cellular?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 30668
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 2 2022 12:22 PM

David Thomas:
don't the newer Apple Watches have their own SIM cards

There are cellular versions of the watch which requires a subscription add on from your phone company. The less expensive ones (which I have) work by pairing with your phone. 

Posts 737
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 2 2022 6:16 PM

Dear Ones,

My wife and I are truly grateful for all your replies. The care with which you considered our situation, the caring which you all expressed, the wider horizons of issues we had not considered all made our first two days home from the hospital a happy time. Thank you!

Shalom, shalom, Steve

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS