Just a thought, but controversial I am sure.

Page 3 of 4 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 61 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3134
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2022 9:13 AM

Have you ever sat in a meeting, class, etc., and someone has their hand up but the speaker doesn't see them? And finally, someone gets the speaker's attention to point out the raised hand...that's what a bump is.

I've never for one second found these bumps to be a problem...they are a courtesy. And one of the main 'bumpers,' MJ, has bumped a few of *my* questions over the years, which always resulted in an answer. For anyone to characterize that is "unfair" is difficult to comprehend. It was a simple courtesy and it helped me, significantly.

So why is this an issue at all? (I'm lost.)

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 1444
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2022 10:30 AM

Doc B:

So why is this an issue at all? (I'm lost.)

Agree.

But the raised-hand problem extends further. I often find a googled page, exactly my question!  And no answer ..., probably they feared arrest for bumping it.

I also agree with MJ's method ... KISS.

Posts 1208
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2022 12:20 PM

To bump or not to bump.. that SEEMS to be the question... 

But really... the REAL question is....

Does anyone in Lawgusland ever read these forums?   I know some do once in a while...

Maybe that is the reason for the bump in the first place? hmmm

Oh and I pronounce it Low-goos  but I notice many pronounce it Lawgaws... another pondering in the canyons of my mind.... Geeked

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 36083
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2022 12:48 PM

xnman:
Does anyone in Lawgusland ever read these forums?

Given that the forums are described as peer-to-peer, we get a surprising amount of support from actual Faithlife employees. Outside of beta testing, it is a courtesy to appreciate. The percentage of posts that get bumped is quite low. 

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5978
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2022 12:28 AM

xnman:
Oh and I pronounce it Low-goos  but I notice many pronounce it Lawgaws

It is pronounced Log O S it is an operating system to change tree based paper books into electronic versions.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 326
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2022 2:02 AM

Mike Binks:
xnman:
Oh and I pronounce it Low-goos  but I notice many pronounce it Lawgaws

I pronounce it LOW-ghos.  'Ghos' is ghost without the t.

I asked Bellingham how they pronounce it.  Dude said 'LAW-gaws.'  

So, maybe I give it a Canadian spin.

Posts 3134
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2022 6:41 AM

Mike Binks:
It is pronounced Log O S it is an operating system to change tree based paper books into electronic versions.

LOL!

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Posts 3134
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2022 6:43 AM

scooter:
maybe I give it a Canadian spin.

That would be, "LAW-gaws eh." Big Smile

Posts 1208
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2022 7:55 AM

The hperglyphics of the dilectum of the languages you guys speak....  lol

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 721
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2022 10:15 AM

Doc B:

I've never for one second found these bumps to be a problem...they are a courtesy.

Yes

Posts 326
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2022 12:42 PM

Doc B:

scooter:
maybe I give it a Canadian spin.

That would be, "LAW-gaws eh." Big Smile

Yup: I really do not know how often I say ''eh,'' as its in the constitution I have to.!!!

What is coming to Canada from the States is saying 'and' as 'aynd.'  This is especially true when 'and' is used at the start of a sentence.

Posts 326
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2022 1:36 PM

xnman:

Dunno what this means; but, hey, I'm ready to laugh if you can 'plain.

Posts 1208
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 14 2022 8:37 AM

scooter:

xnman:

I'm a thinking ... one has to have a PHD of the inner workings of the 7th dimension to understand some things.... and that leaves me out... since I can't even pronounce Logos right....  lets see.... Lou gaws..... Luu guus .... Law gaws.... Log O S.... and then the Canadian way with "eh" on the end....Geeked

Posts 1452
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 14 2022 10:12 AM

How did the ancient Greeks pronounce it? Wink

WIN 11 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 326
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 14 2022 1:00 PM

xnman:

scooter:

xnman:

I'm a thinking ... one has to have a PHD of the inner workings of the 7th dimension to understand some things.... and that leaves me out... since I can't even pronounce Logos right....  lets see.... Lou gaws..... Luu guus .... Law gaws.... Log O S.... and then the Canadian way with "eh" on the end....Geeked

The L word certainly can be pronounced differently,,even within a given country.  People all have different skills,,as God surely made us as.

To over-Canadian, one can say, 'Howzit goin, eh?'  I stick with, 'How are you?', rather than the Bob + Doug Mckenzie stuff from the 80's.  I found that embarrassing.

Posts 5978
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 15 2022 12:41 AM

scooter:
To over-Canadian, one can say, 'Howzit goin, eh?'  I stick with, 'How are you?', rather than the Bob + Doug Mckenzie stuff from the 80's.  I found that embarrassing.

Whilst the oxymoron of an 'over-Candian' is puzzling I will pass over that and tell you that I try and avoid asking questions that I don't want the answer to. I stick with 'Greetings Brother/Sister'.

However to the oft repeated instruction 'Have a nice day', my stock response is 'I'm sorry I've made other arrangements!'.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 36083
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 15 2022 1:06 AM

How quickly we moved from bumping to alternative universes (7th dimension) ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1208
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 15 2022 3:47 AM

MJ. Smith:

How quickly we moved from bumping to alternative universes (7th dimension) ...

In my travels.. I spent some time in Saquenay. CA.... many and most of the people there speak French... and when they do talk " Anglish" they end with "eh"....  so I answered one day and ended with "eh".... and they replied in French.... I was told that if I answered with "eh" it was an invitation to speak in French....    

I was there for several months.. and learned to love the Canadians.... still email friends there...

And I'm learning that between the Canadians and the British... the American English is surrounded.... I guess the only choice us Americans have is to convert you guys... Geeked

Talk about the 7th dimension.... that's about like the 7th heaven isn't it?? lol

To tell the truth about bumping.... It's probably a way of bringing attention to something or keeping a thread active... which doesn't hurt anything.... 

Posts 326
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 15 2022 5:06 AM

Mike Binks:
Whilst the oxymoron of an 'over-Candian'

'over-Canadian; is just a little poetic twinge.

'over-Candian' is merely a mixed spelling opportunity.

Posts 5978
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 15 2022 12:37 PM

scooter:
'over-Candian' is merely a mixed spelling opportunity.

Dam – hoist by my own petard

tootle pip

Mike

Page 3 of 4 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS