Research Project: How would you...?

Page 3 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 49 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2022 7:50 PM

Dave Hooton:
But Faithlife have indicated that they want to integrate it with the Notes tool, which is not a pleasing thought.

Once again, I'm on the minority side -- I can't wait for clippings to be integrated with Notes. I've essentially quit using Clippings because they are not integrated.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 427
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2022 9:36 PM

MJ. Smith:
Once again, I'm on the minority side

But certainly not alone. I've started creating sermon docs to compile 'clippings' and my own annotations together since clippings don't integrate with notes for my own annotations. I hope Faithlife gets this integration done in 10.

Posts 30484
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 14 2022 8:01 AM

Just discovered problem... which I should have remembered. Notes don't have fine control on mobile. I will need to make the anchors resource specific else have them shown in EVERY one.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1012
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 14 2022 8:05 AM

I think I'm the odd ball .....  In notes I use links.... it keeps the note smaller... Clippings would bloat notes big time... IMHO.   

I played with clippings... and best I find of them... is to quickly make a file (clipping card) and throw clippings in as I'm going through different books in a study. I think that's handy...  but I don't use them other than that and once I've settled my study...  I delete them.  

And I'm probably missing something ... Geeked

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 27857
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 14 2022 4:29 PM

xnman:
Clippings would bloat notes big time... IMHO.   

Notes in Clippings can be extensive compared to notes in the Notes tool. Is that what you mean?

xnman:

best I find of them... is to quickly make a file (clipping card) and throw clippings in as I'm going through different books in a study. I think that's handy...  but I don't use them other than that and once I've settled my study...  I delete them.  

And I'm probably missing something ...

You are a Notes person. Using links to keep them small does not suit my use of clippings where I use links for (small) bible passages should I need to read them. My notes are not sermons but they keep me focused on difficult topics/passages.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1012
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2022 10:32 AM

Dave Hooton:

xnman:
Clippings would bloat notes big time... IMHO.   

Notes in Clippings can be extensive compared to notes in the Notes tool. Is that what you mean?

Yes.... thanks for the clarification.

Dave Hooton:

xnman:

best I find of them... is to quickly make a file (clipping card) and throw clippings in as I'm going through different books in a study. I think that's handy...  but I don't use them other than that and once I've settled my study...  I delete them.  

And I'm probably missing something ...

You are a Notes person. Using links to keep them small does not suit my use of clippings where I use links for (small) bible passages should I need to read them. My notes are not sermons but they keep me focused on difficult topics/passages.

Yes... I am a Notes person and use Notes a lot to help me remember what I studied in a passage, to help keep me on track when I am studying a passage... and as such... I have extensive study chains in Notes such as...  Holy Spirit.... Godhead... etc and etc. I can go to a topic... which I have listed in Note0... and from there go through a study chain in my Bible using Notes.... and the beauty of this for me.... is that I can do this on my computer, phone, tablet...etc.

That is one thing that sold me on Logos. I can edit Notes in one device... use it on all devices..  I am hoping one day to be able to do that with Personal Books...  Geeked

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 86
Josh Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2022 10:57 AM

Dave Hooton:

JBR:
I'm a bit surprised that no one has suggested using Clippings

I use Clippings for my Bible Study group, but the Search is rudimentary in terms of linking to the actual word(s) or tags. The Notes are standalone, thankfully. But Faithlife have indicated that they want to integrate it with the Notes tool, which is not a pleasing thought.

I am curious how you collect, store, and utilize clippings. 

Personally, clippings are where good thoughts go to die. An individual document can quickly get over run with so many notes that it’s difficult to find and/or synthesize what I’ve collected. They’re not tagged and the search function is so rudimentary that it’s pretty useless. It’s nearly impossible to easily get the info out of the clipping/clipping note for a sermon (in sermon builder or Word). Notes and clippings “joining forces” just seems like a natural alliance, especially since the ability to filter note types (notes vs highlights, refrence, anchors, tags, etc) has improved so much. 

p.s. sorry this may be off topic of the original question, so if there is another more appropriate thread please let me know 👍 

Posts 30484
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 16 2022 11:54 AM

Josh Moore:
p.s. sorry this may be off topic of the original question, so if there is another more appropriate thread please let me know

Not as far as I am concerned! I have started down a path since I asked the question initially, but I am willing to keep thinking about it. At some point, however, you have to jump in the water!

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 221
1Cor10:31 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2022 2:23 PM

My thoughts below are not about how best to use the various tools (Notes, Tags, Clippings etc.). My thoughts are how to organize the knowledge you gain from a topic that you plan to explore. 

Broadly speaking, all of my thoughts are put in 3 broad bins: Definition, Causes, and Consequences. 

Let's take "good works," which is something that came up in another thread on what is needed to be saved.

You can think of "Causes" as factors or determinants that happen BEFORE you do good works. There are many usually for a given topic.

You can think of "Consequences" as those that result AFTER you do good works. Typically, there are many consequences

The Before-After is hopefully captured by this graphic: Causes ==> Good works ==> Consequences

Moreover, I find it is easier to think in terms of Questions and Answers (Thomas Aquinas style). It helps me remember better.

Here are some questions that comes to my mind in the 3 bins.

1. Definition: What is good works? What is not good works? (this should help mark the boundaries of what is considered good works from the previous question) What are examples of good works? (this should help visualize the definition)

2. Causes: What is the role of God in the good works we do? What is our role in the good works we do? Each of the question can have sub-questions.

3. Consequences: When we do good works, how are we affected? how are the recipients affected?

Today, I had a Computer Science freshman come in and talk to me (a finance professor). He is going to help me out in my research. So I had to condense what we do a researchers with a simple framework without getting technical. I used the same causes-consequences framework to get through to him. As a finance professor, instead of "good works", I will research a finance topic instead. I'll be using different tools, but the organizing principles, I feel, are the same regardless of what you are researching. 

Posts 296
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2022 2:38 PM

1Cor10:31:

My thoughts below are not about how best to use the various tools (Notes, Tags, Clippings etc.). My thoughts are how to organize the knowledge you gain from a topic that you plan to explore. 

Broadly speaking, all of my thoughts are put in 3 broad bins: Definition, Causes, and Consequences. 

Let's take "good works," which is something that came up in another thread on what is needed to be saved.

You can think of "Causes" as factors or determinants that happen BEFORE you do good works. There are many usually for a given topic.

You can think of "Consequences" as those that result AFTER you do good works. Typically, there are many consequences

The Before-After is hopefully captured by this graphic: Causes ==> Good works ==> Consequences

Moreover, I find it is easier to think in terms of Questions and Answers (Thomas Aquinas style). It helps me remember better.

Here are some questions that comes to my mind in the 3 bins.

1. Definition: What is good works? What is not good works? (this should help mark the boundaries of what is considered good works from the previous question) What are examples of good works? (this should help visualize the definition)

2. Causes: What is the role of God in the good works we do? What is our role in the good works we do? Each of the question can have sub-questions.

3. Consequences: When we do good works, how are we affected? how are the recipients affected?

Today, I had a Computer Science freshman come in and talk to me (a finance professor). He is going to help me out in my research. So I had to condense what we do a researchers with a simple framework without getting technical. I used the same causes-consequences framework to get through to him. As a finance professor, instead of "good works", I will research a finance topic instead. I'll be using different tools, but the organizing principles, I feel, are the same regardless of what you are researching. 

I really like this for my studies.  Your method is going to be very helpful.  Thank you, 1C.

Page 3 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS