Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 19599
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2022 7:26 AM

PJ:
I appreciate your wisdom and focus on what really matters.

Apple also freely includes "Preview" that can annotate PDF's, which includes digital signature.

System Preferences => Accessibility => Spoken Content has choice of many high quality voices for System Narrator (at no extra cost).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 84
David Betts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 15 2022 8:45 AM

Viewing a .pdf text in preview, if scanned as text and not as a picture, file can be exported to Word.docx format, from which a personal book can be created in Logos. (Thank you Logos for this feature!).  Shalom, y'all !

Posts 467
PJ | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 15 2022 9:08 AM

The more I read, listen and research, the more I start to appreciate the Mac environment. I'll give feedback on my experience as soon as I have the privelage to work on a Mac.

Posts 467
PJ | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 4 2022 8:29 AM

I’ve made the switch with Logos from win 11 pro to  MacOS. 

SYSTEMS

Old System - MSI Gaming GP72 6QE(Leopard Pro), 17.3" Full HD, Intel® Core™ i7 16 GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512 GB SSD, 1T HDD, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 950M, Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) Windows 11 Pro, Stealth Keyboard

New System - MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Built-in Liquid Retina XDR Display, 16GB RAM, 1T SSD, Magic Keyboard

ISSUES

There are only two things that made the transition bumpy.

The first issue I have with the new hardware is to get use to the new keyboard. Mostly muscle memory specifically the fact that some keys are smaller. The right Return key and the up and down arrow keys are a source of many typing errors in sermons.

The second issue is with the Mouse in general. In windows the mouse wheel is attached to the scrollbar. In MacOS the mouse wheel is attached to the page. I found myself scrolling down and then the page goes up. But it only took a day or two to get use to and the Mac’s way of doing it is actually the better way and makes completely sense.

SIZE

The size is comfortable coming from 17.3”. I only miss the additional numpad on the old system when typing bible references.

BUILD QUALITY

Excellent and very cool!

FANS

The fans can’t be heard when using Logos or recording audio. I used the Graphics card on my windows laptop to run Logos and the fans always turned on. If I didn’t know there was fans inside the new system I would have thought they don’t exist. The graphics perform better than the old and I can’t hear a thing.

DISPLAY

The Mac’s internal display can’t be compared to anything else that I know off.

The best advantage that I notice is the strain on my eyes. It was not possible to use Logos very long with small font’s on the old system. My fonts are even smaller on the Mac but they are so clear that I don’t get tired working in Logos.

The display and support for external monitors is excellent. I plugged in two monitors. One HDMI is onboard and the other through USB Type-C to HDMI Adapter. The external displays are very responsive.

AUDIO

Speakers can be compared to my studio monitors on my desk. I don’t think I’ll need them anymore.

The mic do miss some low-end but sounds excellent on the laptop speakers. I don’t even need to de-noise recordings. The only thing I did with voiceovers was to compress and maybe add some low-end to make the sound more natural when playing over most android phones. But this is only to make my voice sound the same as all my previous recordings.

My previous laptop struggled to record when on battery and sometimes dropped the process when I’m about 5 minutes into recording.

The Mac recorded 15 minutes straight on battery without any issues and stopped only because I pressed the pause button.

TRACKPAD

This is the first trackpad I enjoy. I use a Logic MX3 Mouse to work with and it was a bit tricky to understand how to connect it via bluetooth. But when I figured this out everything else just dropped into place.

The TrackPad provide so much more intuitive gestures that makes writing end navigating windows and desktops a pleasure.

BATTERY

The battery life was maybe the reason I took the plunge and decided to invest on this new system. I’m not disappointed. Performance when plugged in stays the same on battery. I can’t notice a difference.

I worked in Logos from 5am, Recorded and edited in FL Studio, wrote some Automation workflows all while listening to some classical music over YouTube and Spotify. I continued working till around 10pm. It was not possible to drain the battery in 17 hours. It speaks for itself.

The next step will be to take it with me into the real world when doing my daily tasks.

Charge time is excellent. Zero to hundred within an hour or less.

LOGOS

Logos starts within 7 to 8 seconds compared to about 15-20 seconds on my gaming laptop. There is a noticeable difference in Layout loading times. The Mac is faster.

When searching the results appear almost instantly. I don’t know of a complex enough query to slow down searches to a point of frustration.

The graphics in Psalm explorer is so responsive and smooth that it is more pleasant to look at than on the old system.

The keyboard shortcuts is the obvious hurdle when writing sermons. Not because of the shortcuts but because of the keyboard layout that I should get use to. Accents and some other characters don’t have Alt codes like in windows. But the Mac’s way of doing it does improve typing speed because it’s less keystrokes.

A huge benefit is the fact that the option + command + 1 for example Headings in Sermon Builder can be pressed with only two fingers as the layout of the keyboard allows comfortable access to do so.

I do miss my stealth keyboard, but the experience inside Logos on this laptop outweighs it.

UPGRADABIBILTY

Advertised as not upgradable. Therefore I bought 16GB RAM and 1T HDD. I do have external backup space available.

AUTOMATION

Being an automator of everything this was the first thing I tried. 

I have my own custom PDF Printing workflow. When exporting a pdf from Logos it overlays a Sermon on a graphic template, moves the sermon to a directory and generate an flstudio project for recording and open it. I also have novapdf that can do this. To setup nova took me about three days of learning and applying knowledge. Without this workflow I won’t use the Mac for daily work because it will slow me down a lot.

It took me about an hour to learn Automator and some basics in terminal to apply the same automated workflow. The way MacOS works is a huge benefit for such a small automation task. Small for MacOS but huge for Windows.

I used the LogosComApi for some other tasks on windows. Especially to extract DataTypes from text to speed up sermon writing. It seem to be the only thing I couldn’t figure out how to do it on the MacOS.

Xcode is still downloading, so I can’t really tell if there’s more powerful possibilities in automation.

NUMBERS

Most users would probably want to compare numbers between Win and MacOS and the hardware when searching.

The overall experience in Logos on the MacBook and OS is pleasant and the speed is of such a standard that it doesn’t interfere with a demanding workflow or tempo. To me it feels faster and smoother than in windows and my old hardware. I do not say this because the price manipulates my evaluation. I say this because I worked very hard on it for one week. I wrote 8 sermons and recorded all of them without any hickups.

CONCLUSION

Benefits Compared to my old laptop in order of preference:

1. Battery 
  2. Screen
  3. Performance
  4. Keyboard

I used the laptop for 11 hours straight till now and the battery is at 54%. In the coming week I’ll be on the road with new confidence in getting my work done.

Posts 326
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 5 2022 3:28 AM

Great review!

PJ:
It took me about an hour to learn Automator and some basics in terminal to apply the same automated workflow. The way MacOS works is a huge benefit for such a small automation task.

I use Keyboard Maestro and Alfred for automating. 

You might want to check out this thread on Alfred & Logos integration.

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/186597/1077145.aspx#1077145 

Building on Vince Mitchell's workflow, I trigger most Logos searching and lookups from inside Alfred. 

Also, you might want to check out this article on automation that states that Automator is being fazed out by Apple. 

https://appletoolbox.com/keyboard-maestro-vs-shortcuts-vs-automator-picking-your-automation-tool/ 

Posts 1206
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 5 2022 4:20 AM

Ok....  I'm not an Apple guy... therefore not a Mac guy....

And I know there are some who will disagree with me ..... But relative speaking...

1. I've always found I can do anything on my Windows system they can do on their Mac and most of the time... cheaper. Cost of addons, memory, etc are usually cheaper with Windows systems. 

2. I've found... by far and large... that on the systems itself    ... Windows systems are cheaper than Mac systems... by at least 1/3 cheaper. In fact.... sometimes you can buy a windows system for about 1/2 of Mac....  I looked recently at pricing...  I found that the cost of Mac (for what I was considering) ran about $1,900.  Cost of windows ran $850. 

But most people have more money than  I do.... Geeked

Edit:  As to automating the system....  There are programs like "HotKey" and "Autoit" that work just find in windows...

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 326
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 5 2022 4:42 AM

xnman:
But most people have more money than  I do.... Geeked

Most people have more time than I do... MS Windows put a lot of IT guys to work (I use to be one). Mac IT guys are more like the Maytag repairman. Wink

Posts 467
PJ | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 5 2022 5:13 AM

MWW:
I use Keyboard Maestro and Alfred for automating. 

I heard about Alfred and would like to see what it can actually do that's useful in daily work. Keyboard Maestro sounds familiar, I'll take a look at both.

MWW:
Automator is being fazed out by Apple

Thanks for this, I'd rather then spend my valuable learning curve for other options. But for now my workflow is running smoothly with Automator.

xnman:
I've always found I can do anything on my Windows system they can do on their Mac and most of the time... cheaper

Where I'm in our beautiful world we need a generator to charge our laptops. We are sometimes without power for three times a day for 2 to 2 1/2 at a time. I need to plan my day around power. I sometimes work till late when everybody is already sleeping just to keep up with deadlines. This is where a windows laptop can't keep up. The more expensive system do have benefits in this kind of environment.

xnman:
There are programs like "HotKey" and "Autoit" that work just find in windows

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the AutoIt language, and all of its children like HotKey, on windows. It's really a powerful scripting language that can do most tasks.

Posts 30655
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 5 2022 9:26 AM

xnman:
Windows systems are cheaper than Mac systems... by at least 1/3 cheaper.

Similarly equipped devices are not that much different in price. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 5977
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 5 2022 11:40 AM

xnman:
2. I've found... by far and large... that on the systems itself    ... Windows systems are cheaper than Mac systems... by at least 1/3 cheaper. In fact.... sometimes you can buy a windows system for about 1/2 of Mac....  I looked recently at pricing...  I found that the cost of Mac (for what I was considering) ran about $1,900.  Cost of windows ran $850.

I know that I keep banging on about this but if one is on a tight budget then 'total cost of ownership' calculations becomes essential.

It is not what a system will cost tomorrow but what will the system have cost in five* or six* years time? *substitute the length of time you expect the system to last. Five or six years is right for professional use of an Apple system eight or nine for domestic use.

When calculating the 'total cost of ownership' one should work out what one needs, not what one wants. With a Mac system the theologian only needs to factor in the cost of their Logos packages and what is required for back-up of the system.

If a 'total cost of ownership' has not been completed, then money is of no object!

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS