Help with MS Word.....

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1206
xnman | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 10 2022 6:28 AM

I have some Word documents that have the following symbol in them...  I need some help to identify the symbol and how to get rid of it.... Can anyone help?

Thanks

10-05-2022-09-27-40

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 9827
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2022 7:00 AM

I believe this is a text currency symbol. Here is an article about the symbol - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currency_sign_(typography)

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 9827
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2022 7:03 AM

I should clarify that I'm not sure why it is showing up in Word but I did find this article that may help - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/add-or-remove-a-currency-symbol-in-a-text-box-or-expression-box-0d0643c2-27ef-4933-8b32-f7d09a076aaf

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2100
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2022 9:05 AM

It looks a lot like an end-of-cell marker in a Word table. On the Home tab, see if the Show/Hide button is active (it has a paragraph marker and it's to the left of the first style button). If it is, click it and see if that symbol goes away.

Windows 10 [i7-4770; 32GB; SSD] (L9; Dark Mode mostly) | Android 12 (phone L9) | Fire OS 7 (L9)

There are four lights

Posts 1206
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2022 3:09 PM

Thanks all...  I'll be working with one of the files most of tonight... 

Thanks again!

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 19691
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2022 5:36 PM

Yes, that is the end-of-cell marker in a table. It acts as the final paragraph mark within a table cell and contains all the cell-level formatting. It cannot be deleted. There's also a hidden extra empty cell at the end of a table row (so that you can put your insertion point there to add a column at the right side, and to contain all the row-level formatting).

This marker doesn't print. It's just a visual marker of something normally invisible in the table structure. You can turn visibility of them on/off by pressing Ctrl+* (i.e., Shift+Ctrl+8) or clicking the paragraph mark button in the Paragraph section of the Home tab. They are off by default, so you must have done one of these things accidentally to turn them on.

Brought to you by a former Word developer (from 30 years ago). I helped implement Tables in Word, so I know all about these things! More than you want to know. It's amazing they haven't changed much since I was on the team.

Posts 1206
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 10 2022 7:27 PM

Rosie.... thanks for your input....

What I have found is... those "symbols" can sure mess up a Word document when I'm trying to reformat it for a Personal Book.

I turned on "formatting marks" to try to find out how to delete them... but as you say, they cannot be deleted! Best I have found is to drag them to the side...

30 years ago?  In 1992...  I purchased 93 copies of Word and demanded that all the people that wrote letters and such use only Word.   We were using Wang Word Processing on a Wang mainframe... and I thought mainframes was not the way to keep on going... 

It was exciting times back them.... Oh yeah! lol

Posts 19691
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2022 1:36 AM

xnman:

. those "symbols" can sure mess up a Word document when I'm trying to reformat it for a Personal Book.

I turned on "formatting marks" to try to find out how to delete them... but as you say, they cannot be deleted! Best I have found is to drag them to the side...

Are you trying to bring the table that existed in the Word document into Logos? I have found that the PB builder is capable of understanding tables and producing pretty good layout in the Logos document that results.

The "symbols" you're talking about shouldn't mess up the formatting.  And I'm not sure what you mean by dragging them to the side. You can't remove them from in the cells that they delimit. You can drag the vertical table column dividers to resize them. Is that what you mean?

If you'd like to post a Word document that you're having trouble with, I can take a look at it. (Simplify it down to the table that's causing the problem, if you can reproduce the problem with just that bare minimum, so I don't have to wade through all your personal stuff.)

xnman:

30 years ago?  In 1992...  I purchased 93 copies of Word and demanded that all the people that wrote letters and such use only Word.   We were using Wang Word Processing on a Wang mainframe... and I thought mainframes was not the way to keep on going... 

It was exciting times back them.... Oh yeah! lol

Yup. I worked on Word from 1985-1992.

Posts 2967
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2022 5:25 AM

That symbol appears when I copy a “table” into a word document.  Often I also see a symbol that looks like a plus sign [+] in a square box at the beginning of the inserted "table". 

I Click on the [+] to select it, Click on Layout to the far right at the top of your screen, click convert to text, select tabs and tap OK.

The whole table is converted to text – it may need reformatting.  I sometimes copy the table in twice so that I can fix the formating. Then delete the extra copy.

Maybe copy the text that give you the [+] sign into a temporary file, fix the format and then copy and paste into the "real" document.

Posts 3133
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2022 9:01 AM

Rosie Perera:
Yup. I worked on Word from 1985-1992.

I learned MS Word/Excel in that era (I was in college from '82-). You were one of my heroes who didn't know it at the time...I thought those two programs were the best thing ever invented for a college student. I've tried using other WP and SS software but everything defaults back to my days learning Word and Excel. Funny how that works!

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 1206
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 11 2022 12:13 PM

Rosie Perera:

Are you trying to bring the table that existed in the Word document into Logos? I have found that the PB builder is capable of understanding tables and producing pretty good layout in the Logos document that results.

I scanned a book into Word (410 pages) that has all kinds of columns, tables, injected boxes and the like...... and ran it through Personal Books compiler....  something like 2,600 warnings, 1,550 Errors. It did compile... and I see it now in Personal Books....   

So... I was just trying to cut down on the errors and warnings....  last compile... I am down to 367 errors, 800 warnings.... I'm making progress... lol

I appreciate the offer... but ... while I will be slow... I think I got it surrounded.... the book just don't know it yet!  Geeked

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS