Looking for a source covering the historical senses

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 36343
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 13 2022 12:00 AM

In traditional Bible study shared by Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches, Scripture is said to have 4 senses. In the back of my mind, I remember reading that at times the list was as long as 7 senses. Google confirmed my memory:

Unknown to many post-Reformation Christians, early centuries of Christianity—through authoritative teachers like Origen, Cyril of Alexandria, Augustine, and Gregory the Great—encouraged as many as seven “senses” of Scripture. The literal, historical, allegorical, moral, symbolic, eschatological (the trajectory of history and growth), and “primordial” or archetypal (commonly agreed-upon symbolism) levels of a text were often given serious weight among scholars. These levels were gradually picked up by the ordinary Christian through Sunday preaching (as is still true today) and presumed to be normative by those who heard them.

Does anyone know of a resource that discusses "all" the proposed senses and which Father was the first to use it?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 666
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 14 2022 1:49 AM

I don't really think that this answers your question but I found this,

Logos has the book that this came from. (The screen shot was from google books)

https://www.logos.com/product/15714/introduction-to-the-history-of-christianity-first-century-to-the-present-day 

Then there was this...

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=9780802844897&i=stripbooks&linkCode=qs 

So maybe Origin as the first? (Capture was again google books).

Posts 36343
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 14 2022 2:08 AM

Thank you very much -- that gets me further than I'd gotten. And the source is one I did not own.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 172
Jerome Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 14 2022 2:35 PM

There is some information in Milton S. Terry, Biblical Hermeneutics, on pages 163, 611, and 630. Part 3 of his book is about The History of Interpretation.

Posts 36343
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 14 2022 2:53 PM

Very interesting especially on the grammatico-historical sense.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS