NET Bible Notes 2nd Ed, difficult to use

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1268
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 13 2022 8:40 AM

I found it extremely useful to use the NET notes in the same way as a commentary in the past. Grouped with a Bible, often actually open with my greek nt. In the new 2nd ed. it appears that the notes are embeded in the primary resource. I wonder if others feel as I do that it would be much more useful to do it the old way?

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 1270
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2022 8:46 AM

John Goodman:

I wonder if others feel as I do that it would be much more useful to do it the old way?

Wonder no more:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Acommunity.logos.com+net+notes+2&t=icab&ia=web 

I think it was a publisher great idea?

Posts 5079
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2022 11:36 AM

I can't believe people still use DuckDuckGo! :)

I agree though. I wish it was separated but the below forum has a good highlight idea. Otherwise Power Lookup helps

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/205682.aspx  

Posts 1270
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2022 12:32 PM

Mattillo:
I can't believe people still use DuckDuckGo! :)

Last week someone couldn't believe anyone was still using Google.  I think the pattern is people unable to believe {whatever they don't like]. Smiling.

Startpage strips off Google; Duckduck strips off Bing.

Posts 1784
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2022 1:32 PM

For what its worth, there were non-technical reasons why we needed to include the notes within the Bible itself. Although not preferred, it was a purposeful decision on our part.

Posts 3404
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2022 2:17 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:

For what its worth, there were non-technical reasons why we needed to include the notes within the Bible itself. Although not preferred, it was a purposeful decision on our part.

When I could regard the issue of the form of NET 2nd ed. to a purely publisher decision I positioned myself as resigned and chalked it up to better luck next time. Now having learned that FL purposely chose to present this edition in this format I am seething.

If there is any way FL can reverse their decision I would be one customer who would be appreciative. NET 2nd ed. compared to its previous edition is a failed execution. I thought I'd get used to it, I haven't. Please reverse yourselves.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 30529
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2022 3:14 PM

Beloved Amodeo:
When I could regard the issue of the form of NET 2nd ed. to a purely publisher decision I positioned myself as resigned and chalked it up to better luck next time. Now having learned that FL purposely chose to present this edition in this format I am seething.

Kyle doesn't (and perhaps can't) tell us what the "non-technical" reasons were... but for clarification: It would seem to me that the publisher deciding not to allow FL to do so would fall under the "non-technical" reasons category.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3404
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2022 4:07 PM

JT (alabama24):

Beloved Amodeo:

Kyle doesn't (and perhaps can't) tell us what the "non-technical" reasons were... but for clarification: It would seem to me that the publisher deciding not to allow FL to do so would fall under the "non-technical" reasons category.

Then why not come right out and say it was due to the publisher? Kyle is usually plain in his communications. I don't understand this if you are right.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 2843
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2022 6:50 PM

NET has been mostly free for everyone who has Logos. NET 1 came in a package and NET 2 was in Logos 9 for me. The easiest way to use NET 2 is to keep it in your priority Bible list. I understand why people want to split it, but I think it's actually a choice tablet resource. YMMV

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1270
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2022 8:00 PM

Beloved Amodeo:

Now having learned that FL purposely chose to present this edition in this format I am seething.

Beloved, you're not capable of seething. More like super-frustrated.

But what happened with NET2 was similar to the updated New Jerusalem awhile back. Great notes, and unuseable in Logos (me). I refunded New Jerusalem and passed on NET2. But bothersome has been FL keeping quiet and shipping what they knew isn't as good.

Posts 718
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2022 9:48 PM

I am really thankful that we have the NET 2.1. It does what I need it to do.

It is one of my top 3 Bibles, and I have it in other software, too. I really need the text in Logos for cut and paste into term papers.

Now if we can just get the NIrV and some more of the Strong's stuff, I will have everything that I need in Logos so that I don't have to overload my laptop with 3 different softwares open.

I know a lot of other people here have no use for the KJV, Strong's, and Thompson's but some of us are still using those things in hardcopy and in other software. The NET 2.1 was updated from the NET 1 and the NET 2 to be getter linked up to Strong's and that is very useful to me.

Posts 736
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2022 10:01 PM

Mattillo:

I can't believe people still use DuckDuckGo! :) ...

O.k., who out there cannot believe people do not still use AltaVista or Gopher!?

Posts 300
Anthony Dowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 14 2022 3:41 AM

And how about some people still use the hardback Encyclopaedia Britannica! Beat that!

Posts 5908
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 14 2022 11:56 AM

Anthony Dowden:
Beat that!

Beat it! I can hardly lift it.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 718
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 15 2022 5:21 PM

I like hardcopy encyclopedias. They have less typos and better formatting.

Posts 1268
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2022 1:07 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

Kyle, not understanding what those reasons are, it is hard to comment save to say that I hope you will reconsider. It seems to break a precedent. We have so many bible notes resources and the norm seems to be a separate resource; this of course makes it possible to read through the notes at a glance. As it stands all the information is hidden from view. It makes the resource very difficult to use, almost unfit for purpose. Please revisit this decision.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 35772
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2022 1:39 AM

John Goodman:
It seems to break a precedent. We have so many bible notes resources and the norm seems to be a separate resource

Somehow, I'm missing what the issue is. My NRSV, JPS, LES, RSVCE, and NABRE have the notes in the Bible text. I was unhappy when the NJB notes came as a separate resource.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 35772
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2022 1:40 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:
it was a purposeful decision on our part.

Again, I am a minority - I prefer this to a separate resource.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2083
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2022 4:05 AM

MJ. Smith:
Somehow, I'm missing what the issue is. My NRSV, JPS, LES, RSVCE, and NABRE have the notes in the Bible text.

I don't regularly use those translations / editions, but my sense is that the NET has significantly more notes than those, making its footnotes more analogous to a study bible or bible notes. For many, it is tedious to mouse-over for popups when there are a lot of notes. Additionally, many of the notes are lengthy such that if one causes the notes to appear at the bottom of the resource pane, the text itself can become so brief for each 'page' that it doesn't flow well. Also, since many of the notes are applicable to general textual issues, some users like to see the notes paired with other bibles.

My workaround, using Power Lookup to display the notes separately, has its own limitations.

Windows 10 (L9 Beta [Dark Mode most of the time]) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

There are four lights

Posts 1270
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2022 5:56 AM

MJ. Smith:

Kyle G. Anderson:
it was a purposeful decision on our part.

Again, I am a minority - I prefer this to a separate resource.

Since we are required to speculate (part of the human contract), I'm guessing NET wants to be like the other big boys.  "It's a Bible ... notes extra."  Not the opposite.  The clue was when they had the hedge clippers out in v2, trimming what they  perceived to be useless notes.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS