Looking for recommended sources on Visio Divina, a Christian practice

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 36061
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 14 2022 4:38 PM

I get primarily false positives when I search Everything for "visio divina", the visual counterpart to "lectio divina". I do get some (limited) results in the Bookstore section but for resources I am unfamiliar with (Yes, I know I can gamble and return them if they don't meet my needs). But I thought I'd ask - does anyone have favorite visio divina resources - published or web?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 14 2022 10:55 PM

MJ --

I know what Lectio Divina is, but I have not heard of Visio Divina. Any brief description or web site recommendations for an introduction?

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 36061
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 14 2022 11:50 PM

I have seen it associated with Black churches, Church of Christ (Standard Publishing), Anglican, Catholic, Orthodox, Methodist ... i.e. it is spread across many denominations. Think of it as lectio divina but with images or nature - the images may or may not e religious in nature. 

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 318
Bruce Roth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 18 2022 6:34 AM

I am no expert in Visio Divina but have a few resources that touch on some aspect of slowing down and setting with art in a contemplative way.

One of these is Contemplative Vision: A guide to Christian Art and Prayer by Juliet Benner.  Only in paper.  She doesn’t use the term Visio Divina, but takes some of the practices.  She says in the introduction, “We will be reading biblical passages contemplatively and then looking prayerfully at visual representations of the stories”.

Not exactly Visio Divina, but another book looking at photography as a form of contemplative prayer is, Eyes of the Heart: Photography as a Christian Contemplative Practice, by Christine Walters Paintner.  Available in paper as well as Kindle.  One of the blurbs says, "Christine Valters Paintner explores the eye as a window to the heart. Using scripture and observations from thinkers in all faiths she offers a spirituality of photography as writing with light. This monk, photographer-artist, and writer combines the art of image receiving with visio divina, taking us through a detailed program for the feeling, reflecting, and completion of our heart's vision." --Br. John J. O' Hara, S.A. , Graymoor Spiritual Life Center

Posts 19691
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 18 2022 6:57 AM

There's a lovely one by a friend of mine in Seattle who leads "Praying with the Arts" retreats:

Praying With The Arts: Illuminating the Church Year with Sacred Art by M. Louise Holert. Not in Logos; available in paperback only.

I just posted a suggestion for it on FeedBear last month, which you can vote for here:

https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-book-requests/posts/praying-with-the-arts-illuminating-the-church-year-with-sacred-art-a-prayer-companion-for-individuals-and-groups 

Posts 36061
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 18 2022 1:10 PM

Thank you ... I was starting to give up hope of suggestions.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS