What must I do to be saved? Research

Page 3 of 7 (129 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 128 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 5971
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2022 8:32 AM | Locked

xnman:
But if I was an outsider... (non Jesus believing, non Christian, non Catholic.. etc) I wonder what I would think about all these different teachings that has been brought up so far?

In my observation, some turn and flee the other way. Others visit/explore/study different Christian groups/theologies and then join one or another. How widely they explore and how quick the process is varies. Offhand I can't think of a resource offered by Faithlife that includes a biographical (or, ideally, autobiographical) account of someone doing this, but there's probably at least one by now.

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & save others time. Thanks!

Posts 8
D L | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2022 9:00 AM | Locked

What makes you think you need saving?

Regards

DL

Posts 224
1Cor10:31 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2022 9:06 AM | Locked

D L:

What makes you think you need saving?

Regards

DL

I'm not God

Posts 8
D L | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2022 9:10 AM | Locked

So all but God are condemned in your opinion?

I was never condemned.

What did you do to earn hell?

Regards

DL

Posts 224
1Cor10:31 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2022 9:16 AM | Locked

D L:

So all but God are condemned in your opinion?

I was never condemned.

What did you do to earn hell?

Regards

DL

A reply would require going down theological bunny trails, which would be against Forum guidelines. Probably, I shouldn't have replied to your earlier post itself.

Posts 1129
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2022 12:02 PM | Locked

SineNomine:

In my observation, some turn and flee the other way. Others visit/explore/study different Christian groups/theologies and then join one or another. How widely they explore and how quick the process is varies. Offhand I can't think of a resource offered by Faithlife that includes a biographical (or, ideally, autobiographical) account of someone doing this, but there's probably at least one by now.

I think I understand and maybe think along the same lines.....  When Jesus was on this earth.. (a couple of days ago - lol) there were people that could be categorized into one of 3 groups.... 1. Those that believed Jesus was who He said he was... 2. Those that wondered if He could be who He said He was... 3. And those that denied Jesus was who He said He was...

And... I don't think people have changed much....; Geeked

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 1129
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2022 2:05 PM | Locked

Oh my.....  guess the pendulum has to swing both ways.....

(presses both lips together really tight.... stomps foot on floor... puts both hands in pockets...twists head back and forth popping muscles in neck.... and grunts in disgust)...

and slowly walks away from computer..... 

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 35783
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2022 2:59 PM | Locked

D L:
Regards
DL

Are you deliberately trolling. Your post is inappropriate in this context.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1279
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2022 4:24 PM | Locked

MJ. Smith:

Entirely possible, a troll is amongst us.  But (1) the thread begged for theological discussion, after years of 'don't do that'. And (2) there is the belief that Jesus didn't expand on 'saved', and subsequent gentile-logic wasn't consonant with a Diety-approved creation (even the animals were included in the logic).  Ergo a series of well-regarded, but later assigned heretics wrestled with the problem.  So the thread largely assumes an early 3rd century theology.  I just got finished with Didache (again).

Posts 9016
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 19 2022 4:29 PM | Locked

MJ. Smith:

D L:
Regards
DL

With only 4 posts to his credit, yep, he’s definitely trolling; whoever he is.

Anyway, I was hoping to see some “Sinner’s Prayer Subscribers” and some “Put your trust in Jesus” and possibly have them explain what exactly do they mean by that.

DAL

Posts 8
D L | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 20 2022 1:45 PM | Locked

MJ.

I disagree with your opinion.

What is inappropriate is to have to sin to be saved in the Christian immoral dogma.

Abdicating ones responsibility for ones sins is totally immoral, and Christians are lied to and told they must do so to be saved.

Satan is who they listen to, and that leads to adoring a genocidal, homophobic and misogynous God. 

Evil people call that Yahweh/Jesus combo good.

Moral people will not.

What are you?

Regards

DL

Posts 8
D L | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 20 2022 1:48 PM | Locked

Dal

Can I have your thoughts on trusting in the ways of Jesus more than the Jesus you likely know?

Modern Gnostic Christians name our god "I am", and yes, we do mean ourselves.

You are your controller. I am mine. You represent and present whatever mind picture you have of your God or ideal human, and so do I.

The name "I Am" you might see as meaning something like, --- I think I have grown up thanks to having forced my apotheosis through Gnosis and meditation and “I am”, represents the best rules and laws that we have found to live by.

In Gnostic Christianity, we follow the Christian tradition that Christians have forgotten that they are to do. That is, become brethren to Jesus.

That is why some say that the only good Christian is a Gnostic Christian.

Here is the real way to salvation that Jesus taught.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Allan Watts explain those quotes in detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbesfXXw

Joseph Campbell shows the same esoteric ecumenist idea in this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGx4IlppSgU

The bible just plainly says to put away the things of children. The supernatural and literal reading of myths.

Gnosis enlightens adults.

Regards
DL

Posts 35783
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 20 2022 2:23 PM | Locked

D L:

MJ.

I disagree with your opinion.

The forum guidelines are not my opinion to disagree with.

Please abide by the following guidelines as you interact on our forums.

1. Please keep your discussions focused on Logos Bible Software: our software, products, websites, company, tools, etc.
  2. Please do not discuss or debate biblical, theological, or other controversial topics. Use one of the many web forums intended for these kinds of discussions.
  3. Please treat each other with the love, courtesy, respect, and kindness that you would if you were sitting in your living room together.
  4. Please do not use our forums to
    • sell or give away anything or link to anything you’re selling or giving away—including Logos products
    • promote or link to competitors
    • promote affiliate links or discounts
    • point people to other places that sell Logos-compatible products
    • advertise yourself, your business, your ministry, your website, etc. (a tasteful link in your forum signature is acceptable)
    • post Logos Coupon Codes. If you are aware of a special promotion Logos is running online, you are welcome to link directly to the promotion.
  5. Please search before posting. It’s likely that someone has already asked your question.
  6. Please help others follow these guidelines. If the problems continue after you’ve given a gentle reminder of these expectations, please click “Report Abuse” under “More” or send an email to forums@logos.com. If a user is a repeat offender, we may temporarily suspend their account. If the offenses continue, we reserve the right to permanently ban the offender's account from the forums either by shadow banning it or blocking it entirely.

Thank you for your cooperation. Enjoy discussing and learning about Logos Bible Software.

By engaging in theological discussion rather than simply answering DAL's question, you are threatening everyone's freedom to ask theological questions in a neutral manner. I welcome your presence to represent gnostic views although I personally would lean more towards perennial philosophy. Please respect the guidelines so as to become a valued member of the community rather than a suspected troll.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19599
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 20 2022 10:00 PM | Locked

DAL:
I wonder if there’s a resource or if Logos could make a guide that answers this question from each tradition’s perspective?

An idea is searching Logos.com for views salvation => https://www.logos.com/search?query=views%20salvation&sortBy=Relevance&limit=60&page=1&ownership=all&geographicAvailability=availableToMe finds a variety of resources that could be used in a guide.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1129
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2022 3:51 AM | Locked

To D L......

The Immoral calling the Moral Immoral? From what righteous pinnacle do you stand to do such a thing?  Yet this is what you seem to do... Your only purpose seems to be to call out so called "Christians" because they think differently than you do... and you do this by implying a "better than thou" attitude? 

I see in you, a closed mind. One that is not open to learning... one that has determined you know better than others and therefore have the right to be belligerent, offensive and otherwise rude...

I wonder.... if there hope for one that is not willing to open their eyes to truth? 

Can a man with a closed mind ... learn?

Can an honest man... actually have a closed mind?

In my pondering mind....  I ponder... Geeked

Posts 9016
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2022 5:14 AM | Locked

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

DAL:
I wonder if there’s a resource or if Logos could make a guide that answers this question from each tradition’s perspective?

An idea is searching Logos.com for views salvation => https://www.logos.com/search?query=views%20salvation&sortBy=Relevance&limit=60&page=1&ownership=all&geographicAvailability=availableToMe finds a variety of resources that could be used in a guide.

Keep Smiling Smile

Thanks, KS4J! I’ve found some more answers by prominent authors like Carson, Chandler, Platt and Johnny Mac to add to my research.  Hopefully these and some google searches will round it up!

DAL

Posts 610
Rodney Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2022 5:57 AM | Locked

As simple as John 3:16

Posts 428
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2022 8:38 AM | Locked

Hey all. Trolls feed on attention and controversy. Stop feeding trolls and they eventually lose interest and move on. No one ever convinced anyone of anything meaningful in such a forum discussion so no reason to keep engaging. This thread has outlived its original purpose so it's best to hit that stop emailing feature and let it lie. This is certainly my last post in this thread.

Posts 95
skypeace | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2022 5:11 PM | Locked

Quite the inspiring and meditative thread up to a point. Truly challenging and enjoyable, again to a point, thank you to all that contributed. 

A Slave of Christ, Cancelled by Culture, Affirmed by God! HCSB, yes I am that guy!

Posts 9016
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2022 5:15 PM | Locked

skypeace:

Quite the inspiring and meditative thread up to a point. Truly challenging and enjoyable, again to a point, thank you to all that contributed. 

Ditto!

Page 3 of 7 (129 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS