Searching for 'Jesus' but not 'Christ' (or vice versa)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 683
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 17 2022 7:50 AM

Is it possible to use Logos to see how the Biblical authors refer to Jesus?

I can of course just do a search for 'Jesus' and a search for 'Christ' (which for Acts will give me 73 v. 25.)

But of course some of those 73 references to Jesus are to 'Jesus Christ' or 'the Lord Jesus'.

So is there a way of searching where you could search for 'Jesus' and exclude results that have eg the words 'Christ' or Lord' within 3 words?

Posts 2642
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 17 2022 8:03 AM

You can try Jesus ANDNOT Christ ANDNOT Lord

Posts 27918
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2022 2:42 AM

Jesus ANDNOT Christ ANDNOT Lord

You have to search with "Match case" set to avoid matching "lord".

But the query will omit verses in which "Jesus" occurs with "Christ" or "Lord"  e.g. Mt 1.16, 4.7, 4.10.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 27918
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2022 4:07 AM

Stephen Steele:
So is there a way of searching where you could search for 'Jesus' and exclude results that have eg the words 'Christ' or Lord' within 3 words?

This type of query will give different results in English bibles where, for example, "Jesus" may be inserted for clarification. So the accurate way to answer "how the Biblical authors refer to Jesus" is by using a Greek bible.

A negative Jesus NOT WITHIN 3 WORDS (Christ,Lord) query will exclude results like Mt 17:4, Jn 8:11 (ESV) where "Lord" is not part of His name.

A more accurate query is Jesus NOT INTERSECTS "Lord Jesus", "Jesus Christ", "Christ Jesus" as it removes the above problem with proximity.

But note that ESV mentions "Jesus" about 50 times more than a Greek bible!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 683
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2022 4:13 AM

Thanks for the above posts, all very helpful.

Good point in your last line Dave - something I hadn't considered - additions which I presume mostly occur in the gospels?

Posts 27918
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2022 4:22 AM

Stephen Steele:
Good point in your last line Dave - something I hadn't considered - additions which I presume mostly occur in the gospels?

Yes - about 40 times extra.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 204
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 21 2022 4:03 PM

Another method is to open the Factbook to Jesus Christ, then scroll down to "Translated As" and click "Jesus." The first two instances (Ode 14:14 and Ode 14:27) are glitchy, but the rest show only when Jesus is used alone. Ἰησοῦς under "referred to as" will give you the 605 times that skip the additional ones added in English. 

Posts 3053
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 23 2022 8:04 AM

Justin Gatlin:
The first two instances (Ode 14:14 and Ode 14:27) are glitchy

Thanks for the report. I passed this on to the data team. Those two verses should show up under "Jesus Christ".

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 683
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2022 2:33 AM

Justin Gatlin:

Another method is to open the Factbook to Jesus Christ, then scroll down to "Translated As" and click "Jesus." The first two instances (Ode 14:14 and Ode 14:27) are glitchy, but the rest show only when Jesus is used alone. Ἰησοῦς under "referred to as" will give you the 605 times that skip the additional ones added in English. 

Also helpful! Thanks!

Posts 12
Vlad Milekov | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 25 2022 2:09 AM

whaat? it's very funny, okay I have noticed it :D

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS