Greek Grammar: Blass, DeBrunner and Funk vs. Robertson

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 125
Morgan | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 31 2022 8:21 PM

Looking to expand my Greek. I already have Robertson's grammar which I've read still holds up very well today. I have also seen Blass, DeBrunner and Funk highly praised.

Since I already have Robertson, does BDF add anything worth the (current) $60 price tag?

Posts 1074
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 1 2022 2:38 PM

I don't know how much $60 means to you and I don't know exactly what you're trying to do, Greek-wise, but I survived for a number of years on a paper version of Robertson. After I picked up BDF (hardback), I didn't look at Robertson much. I have them both in Logos and similarly almost never look at Robertson, but that's just because of where I start looking rather than an intentional shunning of Robertson. I'm not sure my life is $60 better than if I didn't have BDF, but Logos adds enough value linking Bible pages and grammatical concepts to the examples to make it interesting.

Posts 172
Jerome Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 1 2022 2:49 PM

I have both in my print library. Both are very helpful resources. Blass, etc. is most useful. It covers some things I did not find in Robertson. I used them both when preparing my book, The New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, a resource also available in Logos.

Posts 125
Morgan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 1 2022 7:37 PM

Lew Worthington:

I don't know how much $60 means to you and I don't know exactly what you're trying to do, Greek-wise, but I survived for a number of years on a paper version of Robertson. After I picked up BDF (hardback), I didn't look at Robertson much. I have them both in Logos and similarly almost never look at Robertson, but that's just because of where I start looking rather than an intentional shunning of Robertson. I'm not sure my life is $60 better than if I didn't have BDF, but Logos adds enough value linking Bible pages and grammatical concepts to the examples to make it interesting.

My goal is admittedly nebulous - learn more about Greek. I'm in my third semester of Greek currently with no opportunities to study in a classroom any further. We're using Wallace and I am looking for the next step up. I'm not looking for just reference, but something to work through over the course of a year in bits and pieces. It may not be the most effective, but I'm doing my best to work with what I already happen to have.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS