A Diverse Logos Library

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2
Kyle Gibson | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 31 2010 1:53 PM

This post is a question/suggestion post, so I put it in the general forum. I recently purchased Logos 4 biblical languages edition. I love it and am enjoying a lot of what it has to offer. However, I am having difficulty finding commentaries and books that are not from an evangelical/Baptist perspective. I am charismatic and, as of right now, am not affiliated with a particular denomination. I would like to see a larger variety of commentaries from different perspectives. Maybe I missed them, but does Logos offer any commentaries or anything of that nature maybe from a more Catholic, Orthodox, or Charismatic perspective? I believe God wants unity within His Church, which I think is one of the main roles of the Holy Spirit, and it's hard to get that when I only get an evangelical perspective. I think it would make Logos more appealing to the Church universal if it had a more diverse library. Even if Logos does not include much more than evangelical resources in the edition of Logos 4 I have, I saw that I can buy additional books to add to my library. In that online store, does Logos have a more diverse library selection? Maybe Logos could include a key of the biases each author their publishing company has to help in selecting books in the library and on the actual software's library.

Sincerely,
Kyle

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 31 2010 2:24 PM

Yes, there are some collections from other perspectives. For Catholic, you might want to look at the Collegeville Catholic Reference Library: Full Edition, Version 3. It includes a Catholic commentary.

EDIT: There's also the Catholic Spirituality Collection.

There is a multi-volume Catholic commentary available in print which Logos appears to have secured the permissions to do if there's enough interest. They have the first volume (on Second Corinthians) available in pre-pub (http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/5986) and it has reached sufficient interest to go into development. So I'm guessing they will bring out future volumes eventually and then finally sell the whole thing as a single bundle. This will take some time, though.

EDIT: There is Product Guide for Catholic resources that will show you much more: http://www.logos.com/catholic

Here are some bundles and individual resources from a Charismatic perspective:

Logos is obviously missing a Product Guide for Charismatic Resources, but I suggest they develop one.

As for Orthodox resources, there isn't a Product Guide for those either, but there are a couple of Eastern Orthodox titles in the Baker Theology Collection. Those are the only ones that I know of. MJ Smith and others might be able to help you identify some more (if they exist) better than I would. I would buy more if they were available.

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 31 2010 2:28 PM

Welcome to the forums Kyle, stick around.  :-)

You'll find that there are many others here who are looking for the same things you are  - take heart more and more variety is coming all the time.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 31 2010 2:35 PM

Feel free to chime in on the Pentecostal and Charismatic Theology thread if there are other titles you'd like to see added which haven't been mentioned yet: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/9747.aspx

Ultimately, though, someone should really send all of those in to suggest (at) logos (dot) com. All suggestions that are emailed in get processed, where as some of the ones posted on the forum can get overlooked.

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 31 2010 2:39 PM

See this thread for my suggestion on Charismatic theology http://community.logos.com/forums/t/9747.aspx

You can make suggestions for the books(Commentaries) you want to see included in Logos at - suggest AT logos.com or the suggest thread here http://community.logos.com/forums/28.aspx

1.  Foundations of Pentecostal Theology
  2. Christian Life Collection (14 Vols.)
  3. Church of God Digital Library
  4. Church Leadership Collection (4 Vols.)
  5. The Century of the Holy Spirit : 100 Years of Pentecostal and Charismatic Renewal, 1901-2001
  6. Spirit-Filled Life Study Bible
  7. Hayford's Bible Handbook
  8. Words of Light and Life Collection (7 Vols.)

Edit. Saw Rosie's post after I'd posted.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 2
Kyle Gibson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 31 2010 3:53 PM

Thank you, guys! This was very helpful.

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 31 2010 4:04 PM

Kyle Gibson:
Maybe Logos could include a key of the biases each author their publishing company has to help in selecting books in the library and on the actual software's library

That would be quite controversial. One man's heretic is another man's hero. Liberal and Conservative are relative terms and subject to much subjective interpretation. In short, I don't believe this is feasible.

The Logos customer base is quite diverse and becoming more so as time goes by, which is a good thing.

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 31 2010 5:36 PM

Kyle, there have also been threads on Eastern Orthodox works such as this broader list, and this suggestion of the Philokalia.  Unfortunately there aren't many EO books yet in Logos.  The ones Rosie suggested are valuable to me, but they are only about Easter Orthodoxy, written by a sympathetic evangelical (re: Baker Collection)

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 31 2010 6:09 PM

Dan DeVilder:
Easter Orthodoxy

Are those the people who have the right formula for computing when Easter should be celebrated? I know there's been controversy over this in Church history. Wink

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 31 2010 6:23 PM

Rosie Perera:

Dan DeVilder:
Easter Orthodoxy

Are those the people who have the right formula for computing when Easter should be celebrated? I know there's been controversy over this in Church history. Wink

No, your confusing them with the people who named  their own island in celebration of Easter.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 31 2010 6:36 PM

Rosie Perera:

After many years of research, and advanced mathematical calculations, theologians have now discovered that Easter should be celebrated everyday Big Smile

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 31 2010 8:43 PM

Paul Golder:

Rosie Perera:

After many years of research, and advanced mathematical calculations, theologians have now discovered that Easter should be celebrated everyday Big Smile

Big Smile Oh yes indeed, remembered and rejoiced in every day. But "celebrated" in the full sense of a special church service with favorite Easter hymns (complete with trumpet fanfares) and readings of the Resurrection narratives and a Resurrection themed sermon, and ... We'd never get around to any of the other Scripture passages. Mind you, a whole year of just celebrating that would be much more salutary than a year of just focusing on Job 3 (an entire chapter worth of Job cursing the day he was born; we're having a sermon on it, along with Job 1 & 2, tomorrow; I'm the lucky soul who gets to pick hymns to go along with this).

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 31 2010 11:43 PM

Rosie Perera:
I'm the lucky soul who gets to pick hymns to go along with this

After it is done or now....what did you pick?

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 31 2010 11:58 PM

William Bingham:

Rosie Perera:
I'm the lucky soul who gets to pick hymns to go along with this [Job 1-3]

After it is done or now....what did you pick?

The Scripture index in our hymnal had absolutly nothing for that part of Job (much easier would have been if we were covering Job 19 -- "I know that my redeemer lives..."). So I just went with hymns mentioning suffering, sickness, trials, and temptations, and trusting God in the midst of same.

122 - All glory be to God on high

573 - What a friend we have in Jesus (I accidentally told the pianist the wrong number, the version with the unfamiliar tune; we'll see if she can sight read #574 instead)

131 - When in the hour of deepest need

439 - I want Jesus to walk with me

585 - In your sickness

586 - Cast thy burden upon the Lord

580 - My life flows on

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 1 2010 1:59 AM

Moved to new thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/20799.aspx

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS