How to use “All the Oaths and Vows in the Bible”, Faithlife Biblical and Theological Lists?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1217
LimJK | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 27 2022 6:55 PM

How to Use it from the “Context Menu”?

According to the Introduction, it says: 

“In a text that is indexed with All the Oaths and Vows in the Bible, any annotations active in the current selection will be listed in the context (right-click) menu. Right-click on a particular word or text selection and information regarding the structure will be displayed. See Context Menu in Logos Help for more information.”

Question: specifically, when reading 1 King 17:1 as an example, when I right-click on a word (eg. Yahweh). How do I get to the following entry in “All the Oaths and Vows in the Bible” to show:

Elijah Swears an Oath to Ahab in Samaria

1 Ki 17:1 records an oath Elijah swore to Ahab. The oath took place in Samaria. The reason was drought.

Related

• the Kingdom of Israel
  • rain

Jeremy Thompson, All the Oaths and Vows in the Bible, Faithlife Biblical and Theological Lists (Bellingham, WA: Faithlife, 2021), 1 Ki 17:1.

JK

MacBookPro 14" (2021) RAM:16GB SSD:1TB macOS Monterey 12.5.1 | iPhone Xs Max iOS 15.6

Posts 36340
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2022 9:11 PM

You need to expand the labels section an scroll down. then select oath (see the orange marker for active) and the applicable actions appear on the right.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1217
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 28 2022 1:22 AM

MJ,

Thanks for your reply, and happy to know that it works for you. Unfortunatedly, I do not have the New American Bible (Revised Edition) with reversed Interlinear.

However, I tried on all my other Bibles with RVI, including, ESV, LEB, NET2edition, NASB2020, NIV2011, NLT, ASV, KJV, NKJV, RSV, NRSV, ChineseCUV, etc. I cannot see the label "Oath Addressee: Ahab (king) ...." in the Context Menu for all of them. I have tried selecting the entire verse, or single word like Yahweh or God or Elijah within the verse.

Is there something I missed in the right-mouse click selection process? 

Can you try with one of the Version listed above? Thanks so muchSmile

Oh, by the way, I am running MacBookPro 14" (2021) with macOS Monterey 12.4

JK

MacBookPro 14" (2021) RAM:16GB SSD:1TB macOS Monterey 12.5.1 | iPhone Xs Max iOS 15.6

Posts 36340
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 28 2022 1:26 AM

It works for me on any Bible with a RVI. Did you expand the labels i.e. cantillation label entry on the left?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26051
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 28 2022 1:28 AM

It is there in the ESV

As MJ mentioned, you need to expand the list on the left. Try clicking the small arrow to the left of Cantillation and scroll down

Posts 1217
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 28 2022 1:32 AM

Oops ... Got it.

I missed the part both of you mentioned about the cantillation label. Sad

Thanks so much to MJ and Graham Big Smile

JK

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS