Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3
Alex Joseph | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 2 2022 9:28 AM

Is there any academic books on Charismatic theology focussing on gifts (healing, clairvoyance, doing wonders, prophesing etc..)of holy spirit in Verbum?

Posts 2104
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 2 2022 7:02 PM

Hi Alex:

See if this search gets you started:  https://www.logos.com/search?sortBy=Relevance&limit=60&page=1&ownership=all&geographicAvailability=availableToMe&filters=topic-theology_Topic%2Breligiousgroup-pentecostalcharismatic_Christian%20Group 

It looks for Topic: Theology, Group: Pent/Char. The first hit is James Hamilton; not exactly a go-to guy for Charismatics. So, there are going to be some iffy hits. You can horse around with the Filter facets.

Windows 10 [i7-4770; 32GB; SSD] (L9; Dark Mode mostly) | Samsung Gal A13; Android 12 (L9) | Fire OS 7 (L9)

There are four lights

Posts 1452
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2022 10:54 AM

Robert M. Warren:

Hi Alex:

See if this search gets you started:  https://www.logos.com/search?sortBy=Relevance&limit=60&page=1&ownership=all&geographicAvailability=availableToMe&filters=topic-theology_Topic%2Breligiousgroup-pentecostalcharismatic_Christian%20Group 

It looks for Topic: Theology, Group: Pent/Char. The first hit is James Hamilton; not exactly a go-to guy for Charismatics. So, there are going to be some iffy hits. You can horse around with the Filter facets.

Given he mentioned Verbum and posted in the Catholic products forum, I'm going to guess that he means Catholic works on the Charismatic movement.

The results there are not especially promising: https://verbum.com/search?query=charismatic&sortBy=Relevance&limit=60&page=1&ownership=all&geographicAvailability=availableToMe&filters=religiousgroup-catholic_Christian%20Group 

WIN 11 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 31
Br Damien-Joseph OSB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 3 2022 8:16 PM

Catholic charismatic theology is not especially strong in Verbum. You might find a book here or there, but especially if you're looking for academic books, it's a small selection.

Posts 788
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 4 2022 8:36 AM

Clairvoyance???

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 1452
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 4 2022 9:06 AM

Jerry Bush:

Clairvoyance???

I‘m only speculating here but I wonder if some charismatics consider Peter having knowledge of Ananias and Saphira‘s deception to be a gift “clairvoyance.” 

I imagine actual charismatics would have to weigh in on this with what is commonly held and what is disputed. 

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 6063
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 5 2022 5:14 PM

Br Damien-Joseph OSB:

Catholic charismatic theology is not especially strong in Verbum. You might find a book here or there, but especially if you're looking for academic books, it's a small selection.

I'm not aware of much academic-level Catholic charismatic theology that isn't in Verbum, either. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

"God commands you to pray, but He forbids you to worry." - The Curé d'Ars.

Posts 19693
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 6 2022 2:03 AM

David Wanat:

Jerry Bush:

Clairvoyance???

I‘m only speculating here but I wonder if some charismatics consider Peter having knowledge of Ananias and Saphira‘s deception to be a gift “clairvoyance.” 

I'm not a Charismatic and have only peripheral exposure to that stream of Christianity, but I believe they wouldn't normally use the term "clairvoyance" -- rather, they'd refer to a "gift of knowledge" or "word of knowledge". The term "clairvoyance" is usually associated with either parapsychology or with sorcery, witchcraft, and the occult. It's quite possible that to an external neutral observer, the phenomenon would be defined the same way, though. So I'm not sure. But I do think some Charismatics would be concerned about having the term "clairvoyance" used for what they engage in and believe is a gift from the Holy Spirit.

A paragraph on Clairvoyance from The Spirit of Creation: Modern Science and Divine Action in the Pentecostal-Charismatic Imagination which is an academic book available in Verbum.

"Clairvoyance. Similarly, putatively clairvoyant individuals have performed much higher than statistically expected by chance in identifying the ordering of shuffled decks of cards when shielded from the shuffler; in this case, of course, the card shuffler kept the deck facedown throughout, so that the viewer would not be able to access the order of the cards by ordinary means. Other experiments involving randomly chosen target locations visited by the experimenter have also been correctly identified by clairvoyant viewers too exactly to be deemed coincidental."

I don't believe that is what Charismatics use the gift of knowledge for: card tricks and the like. More likely they are given divine knowledge of a personal nature that is meant to help someone: for example, becoming aware, without being told, that a particular person is burdened with fear about something, and knowing just what to say that will alleviate that fear or draw that person closer to God to bring that fear before Him.

Posts 36098
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 6 2022 11:00 AM

I asked a friend active in the charismatic movement for 30+ years for resource recommendations. She directed me to Resources | NSC dba Pentecost Today USA (nsc-chariscenter.org)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1452
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 6 2022 12:06 PM

Rosie Perera:

David Wanat:

Jerry Bush:

Clairvoyance???

I'm not a Charismatic and have only peripheral exposure to that stream of Christianity, but I believe they wouldn't normally use the term "clairvoyance" -- rather, they'd refer to a "gift of knowledge" or "word of knowledge". The term "clairvoyance" is usually associated with either parapsychology or with sorcery, witchcraft, and the occult. It's quite possible that to an external neutral observer, the phenomenon would be defined the same way, though. So I'm not sure. But I do think some Charismatics would be concerned about having the term "clairvoyance" used for what they engage in and believe is a gift from the Holy Spirit.

A paragraph on Clairvoyance from The Spirit of Creation: Modern Science and Divine Action in the Pentecostal-Charismatic Imagination which is an academic book available in Verbum.

"Clairvoyance. Similarly, putatively clairvoyant individuals have performed much higher than statistically expected by chance in identifying the ordering of shuffled decks of cards when shielded from the shuffler; in this case, of course, the card shuffler kept the deck facedown throughout, so that the viewer would not be able to access the order of the cards by ordinary means. Other experiments involving randomly chosen target locations visited by the experimenter have also been correctly identified by clairvoyant viewers too exactly to be deemed coincidental."

I don't believe that is what Charismatics use the gift of knowledge for: card tricks and the like. More likely they are given divine knowledge of a personal nature that is meant to help someone: for example, becoming aware, without being told, that a particular person is burdened with fear about something, and knowing just what to say that will alleviate that fear or draw that person closer to God to bring that fear before Him.

Right. I wasn’t saying this was clairvoyance. Just that people might have applied the term. 

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 19693
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2022 12:38 AM

David Wanat:
Right. I wasn’t saying this was clairvoyance. Just that people might have applied the term. 

Right, but I was saying I doubt if Charismatics would apply that term. Others, sure.

Posts 1452
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 7 2022 6:57 AM

Rosie Perera:

David Wanat:

Right, but I was saying I doubt if Charismatics would apply that term. Others, sure.

Fair enough. It is a strange term to be using. But, as a non-Charismatic, I wasn’t sure about what technical terms they might use. 

Verbum 9 Ultimate

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS